Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Advice On Choosing Home Daycare
Emarie30 07:17 PM 05-26-2016
My 7-month-old son's in-home daycare provider is closing her doors, so we're in the market for a new one. I was hoping to find someone with substantial experience (10+ years) and a clean record with the state. Unfortunately, the people I found with those qualifications don't have any spots open.

Now I'm looking at providers who either 1) have plenty of experience but have received various citations (accepting drop-ins that push them over their ratio, not having health statements on file, etc.), or 2) have a clean record but have been licensed for less than a year.

Would you look at people from category #1 first or category #2? What kind of questions would you ask to make sure potential citations and/or lack of experience won't affect your child's quality of care? I realize there are a lot of variables here, but I'm feeling a little lost. Thanks!
Nurse Jackie 07:29 PM 05-26-2016
I personally am new to the field as far as being licensed, however have a lot of experience with children. My opinion is go meet the providers in person and go with your gut feeling. As a mom myself I would have to chose someone I felt comfortable with. A person with 10 years experience had to start from the bottom like everyone else. Good luck!
Mike 07:34 PM 05-26-2016
Originally Posted by Nurse Jackie:
I personally am new to the field as far as being licensed, however have a lot of experience with children. My opinion is go meet the providers in person and go with your gut feeling. As a mom myself I would have to chose someone I felt comfortable with. A person with 10 years experience had to start from the bottom like everyone else. Good luck!

That's the best way to do it.
Emarie30 07:37 PM 05-26-2016
Thank you, Nurse Jackie! You bring up a good point that their state record might not reflect their level of experience with children. I guess I'll have to pick a few to meet with and go from there!
Emarie30 07:55 PM 05-26-2016
Thanks!
Nurse Jackie 08:06 PM 05-28-2016
Your welcome
Tags:home daycare
Reply Up