Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Are You An Old School Provider
countrymom 06:06 AM 02-23-2011
I can already tell which people on this site are old school, because the majority of the time I agree with them
Its funny, because I'm in my middle thirties, but I grew up so differently than todays parents. so do you implement your old school ways in your daycare too or do you follow todays standard of parenting skills.
If you don't know what todays parenting skills are, look at the posts about parents and kids.
DCMomOf3 06:08 AM 02-23-2011
Am I old school or new? i honestly have no idea.
Michelle 06:26 AM 02-23-2011
I am definitely old school.
I have seen the changes in parenting styles through the years and I can't believe the difference from 20 years ago.
Kids today get to make way too many choices and they think they are in charge of their parents.
I do let my kids choose things like what color cup they want or which type of fruit etc. but I have seen a parent ask a child if he feels like bringing his jacket to dc and I just couldn't believe it!!

My favorite all time comedian routine about this subject is Bill Cosby, Himself.
We watch it very often and it's so hilarious.
countrymom 06:38 AM 02-23-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
I have seen the changes in parenting styles through the years and I can't believe the difference from 20 years ago.
Kids today get to make way too many choices and they think they are in charge of their parents.
I do let my kids choose things like what color cup they want or which type of fruit etc. but I have seen a parent ask a child if he feels like bringing his jacket to dc and I just couldn't believe it!!

My favorite all time comedian routine about this subject is Bill Cosby, Himself.

omgosh, you are so right. I too can't believe that parents would rather reason with a 2 yr old rather than tell them "no" i also can't believe that parents are giving their children way too much choices and freedom. I also can't believe that many many children can't even dress themselves, I just can't get over that. I think thats why I do everything the way I was brought up, you didn't hit your parents, you used your manners and if you did something bad, you were disciplined, not rewarded with a new game. Also, we had to pick our own clothes and know how to do zippers and tie shoes. Not a parent doing those things.
marniewon 06:40 AM 02-23-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
omgosh, you are so right. I too can't believe that parents would rather reason with a 2 yr old rather than tell them "no" i also can't believe that parents are giving their children way too much choices and freedom. I also can't believe that many many children can't even dress themselves, I just can't get over that. I think thats why I do everything the way I was brought up, you didn't hit your parents, you used your manners and if you did something bad, you were disciplined, not rewarded with a new game. Also, we had to pick our own clothes and know how to do zippers and tie shoes. Not a parent doing those things.
Yep, I agree. I'm definitely old-school too.
DCMomOf3 06:51 AM 02-23-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:

Ok, I'm totally old school.
DCMom 07:00 AM 02-23-2011
So true! Definitely old school here.

My dh and I were just having this conversation last night. After 22 years of doing this that I might be 'too old'. It seems every family I interview lately is looking for pre-school at 2 and not potty training till 3.5 - 4.

The other thing that really bugs me it the amount of time that kids spend in daycare ~ 50+ hours a week. When do parents have time to parent, much less have and such opinions about it?

Case in point: last week I had an interview; she called me yesterday to tell me that she loved me, loved my daycare, loved my program but she couldn't get past the number of days I take off (not excessive, normal holidays, some paid, some unpaid) because they prefer to use their vacation days for themselves, not for the daycare. Translation: When I take a vacation day, my kid is going to be at daycare.

Honestly, why did you have them if they are such an inconvenience?
Angelsj 04:39 PM 09-17-2012
I am not really sure it is so much "old school" as it is an abdication of the role of parenting. We seemed to have entered a realm where it is not the parent's job to parent.
We are the first "experts." At 6-8 weeks, the infant is handed over to us and we are expected to handle things. We teach, we train, we raise. I find this often in how many questions the parents ask. Most of my parents rely on me for advice in so many things, from medical advice to school advice to advice on toilet training.

At age 5, or earlier, the child is handed over to the school, and the "experts" there are supposed to do the rest of the work. It seems the more the school handles, the more the parents don't...in a vicious circle. Schools now feed kids breakfast, teach ethical behavior, sex ed.... All things that were once the parent's job.

I don't disagree with you btw, that kids are running the show. Parents have NO IDEA what to do, and precious little time or interest in learning. It is sad, and is going to one day have far reaching consequences.
Unregistered 04:39 AM 09-18-2012
I had a parent tell me that they tried to take daughter for a hair cut over the weekend over 5 times but she would not let them. Hair is passed the eyes. Hello!

I mentioned, just doing it. Parent was afraid the child would get cut with the scissors from making such a fuss.

Child was taught if I put up enough of a fuss I can get my own way and manipulate my parents for everything. This child does a complete turn around when the parent is present.
Ugh!

I am old school, but if a new school way works- I run with it. I do what works. I do consider myself a "teacher" and do a lot with the kids, because I want to and it keeps my day interesting and I enjoy doing it. I try to keep open to all ways of doing things. I do feel children should be taught to respect elders and not run them.

Seems like most are old school. Any new school out there? member logged out for privacy
Tags:old school
Reply Up