Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Whooping Cough
Sunchimes 03:57 PM 09-11-2013
I've been seeing a lot lately about pertussis outbreaks (whooping cough) and suggesting that adults get the vaccine.

I know that all of my kids are up to date on their vaccines. Should I get it? If they've been vaccinated, is that a guarantee that they can't get it from me or get it and give it to me?

Have you all gotten the vaccination since you've been adults?
Leigh 04:03 PM 09-11-2013
I got the vaccination about 6-7 years ago. It is sad that physicians often overlook checking an adult's vaccination history-I haven't had a single doctor ever suggest a vaccination for me, I have had to ask for all of them, EXCEPT the whooping cough vaccine-that one an acute care doc suggested (who I never saw again).
Familycare71 04:23 PM 09-11-2013
I recently got it- it's part of the tetanus shot- I have always had drs follow that shot for me... It's a every ten year schedule.
SilverSabre25 05:43 PM 09-11-2013
it's a toss up because a lot of the outbreaks are primarily among vaccinated populations.
Angelsj 06:56 PM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
it's a toss up because a lot of the outbreaks are primarily among vaccinated populations.
Exactly. Totally anecdotal and my own experience, but when 7 of my eight were at home, they all got pertussis. Oldest two vaccinated, next 5 not vaccinated.
Number one coughed for 2 months, horrible cough, scary terrible whoop, two rounds of antibiotics, (he had ALL pertussis, totally up to date)
Number two coughed for almost three months, but no antibiotics and cough was pretty minor, very minimal whoop for about three weeks. One pertussis shot.
Numbers three thru seven, NO pertussis shots ever... coughed for about two weeks, minor cough, minimal whoop, no antibiotics, not even the then 1 year old.

The kicker?? About 5 years later, all were titered for pertussis. The only one NOT immune? Number one.
Sunchimes 07:07 PM 09-11-2013
This is pretty much what I thought. There is no solid answer either way. I'd ask my doctor, but he's an idiot and won't give me a straight answer.

Thanks guys. I think I'll go ahead and get it just to be safe.
Willow 08:05 PM 09-11-2013
My county sent a letter out earlier this year strongly recommending it. They said the MN Dept of Health was strongly recommending all caregivers of the very young and very old get it to reduce the spread to the immuno-suppressed/compromised chunks of the population.

Like most vaccines I realized it wasn't 100%, but seeing as I frequently take infants just knowing I had it made me feel better. Now at least if I get it and pass it on inadvertantly I know I did all I could to prevent that scenario. The only crummy part is it was given in tandem with a tetanus and woooo nelly did it kill my arm for a couple of days.
Meyou 02:22 AM 09-12-2013
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
Exactly. Totally anecdotal and my own experience, but when 7 of my eight were at home, they all got pertussis. Oldest two vaccinated, next 5 not vaccinated.
Number one coughed for 2 months, horrible cough, scary terrible whoop, two rounds of antibiotics, (he had ALL pertussis, totally up to date)
Number two coughed for almost three months, but no antibiotics and cough was pretty minor, very minimal whoop for about three weeks. One pertussis shot.
Numbers three thru seven, NO pertussis shots ever... coughed for about two weeks, minor cough, minimal whoop, no antibiotics, not even the then 1 year old.

The kicker?? About 5 years later, all were titered for pertussis. The only one NOT immune? Number one.
This sounds like my family's experience except exchange whopping cough for mumps.
Angelsj 04:33 AM 09-12-2013
Originally Posted by Meyou:
This sounds like my family's experience except exchange whopping cough for mumps.
Interesting thing about mumps. I recently had to go get titers for everything. I am immune to measles and rubella, but not mumps. I was told they don't bother to give only mumps shots, because it is less then 40% effective, but it is still fairly rare. Kind of makes one wonder why we are giving it in the first place.
Cat Herder 04:45 AM 09-12-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
I recently got it- it's part of the tetanus shot- I have always had drs follow that shot for me... It's a every ten year schedule.
Same here along with the Hep Series (B&A), TB (PPD) and Meningococcal (MCV4).

They recommend the Flu shot, too... but I generally pass.

I have heard no recomendations on Pertussis here, maybe regional?
Shell 04:51 AM 09-12-2013
Just got mine a few months ago at the hospital after I had my little one. They strongly suggested it since I have and take care of infants. I read the sheet on it, and it seemed reasonable, so I had them give it to me. Maybe it is regional, but one of my dcm's here is a nurse, and says it's been making its rounds here.
Sunchimes 04:59 AM 09-12-2013
It's making the rounds here too. I haven't seen any recommendations for anything else, except Shingles, but that's because I'm old.
Memc2001 06:02 AM 09-12-2013
Yes, I went to my local Health Dept and got the Pertussis Vaccine before I started caring for infants. It is especially dangerous and deadly for anyone under the age of 1. A good idea for you, them and something to put down in an ad, too. Parents appreciate you taking that step for them. I don't know how many are aware of it though.
Also, it's not a shot you have to get annually. The nurse said there was no date for booster so since I have gotten it as an adult, I should be good for my adulthood.
Memc2001 06:04 AM 09-12-2013
BTW, it was free at the Health Dept since I was a professional caregiver for infants.
Tags:coughing, whooping cough
Reply Up