Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pulling my hair out!
CraftyMom 11:10 AM 08-28-2014
Grrr! My 13 yo drives me batty at naptime! This girl just doesn't get it no matter how much I drill it into her head...KEEP QUIET AT NAPTIME!!!!!

She is known to come barreling down the stairs yelling my name (usually over something silly that can wait or isn't a huge ordeal to come yelling for me, you know, like "where is my other shoe?"

I have new infant that I'm trying to get situated here, I FINALLY got him to take a decent nap, he was still sleeping until she woke him up with her mouth! UUGGHHH!

I go over it every day...it's naptime, keep quiet, stay in your room or stay outside, no walking through the downstairs, and KEEP QUIET!!

Everyday, the same thing, she talks too loud or comes inside with a friend or SOMETHING that wakes up the kids... then it's "Oops, sorry!" When she sees that I'm upset she says "what? I said sorry!"

Sorry means nothing! It won't undo the fact that she woke someone up...again!

I've even locked her out a couple times before...but then she rings the doorbell!
TheGoodLife 11:15 AM 08-28-2014
I'm assuming your DD? Bleh, I'm glad I have a 2 story; my DDs (3 and 4) get loud during nap when they're being naughty but the DCKs are downstairs in the basement daycare so they don't wake them up.

What about making HER take care of the kids that wake up due to her? "sorry, DD, your friend has to go home, you need to get to work!" Maybe if she has to deal with the consequences as well, she'll become more conscious of her behavior?
NeedaVaca 11:17 AM 08-28-2014
Give her a chore or take something away that she loves! She needs real consequences every single time
Heidi 11:18 AM 08-28-2014
At 13, I'd start making her "pay" for the time she took from you.

"Tonight, you can was the dishes. That'll take you about 30 minutes, which is what your actions cost me when you woke up the baby."

I am sure there are all sorts of jobs you can find for her.
JoseyJo 11:19 AM 08-28-2014
Originally Posted by TheGoodLife:
I'm assuming your DD? Bleh, I'm glad I have a 2 story; my DDs (3 and 4) get loud during nap when they're being naughty but the DCKs are downstairs in the basement daycare so they don't wake them up.

What about making HER take care of the kids that wake up due to her? "sorry, DD, your friend has to go home, you need to get to work!" Maybe if she has to deal with the consequences as well, she'll become more conscious of her behavior?
Exactly- words are obviously not working, so take action. Right now her waking the kids up is YOUR problem. It needs to be a problem for HER so she is more likely to learn from her mistakes
TheGoodLife 11:25 AM 08-28-2014
Originally Posted by JoseyJo:
Exactly- words are obviously not working, so take action. Right now her waking the kids up is YOUR problem. It needs to be a problem for HER so she is more likely to learn from her mistakes
Natural consequences
CraftyMom 11:59 AM 08-28-2014
great suggestions! Thanks!

I've told her before that I was going to make HER explain to the parents that the reason their kids are grouchy is because she woke them up....should have followed through with that!
Baby Beluga 12:16 PM 08-28-2014
Originally Posted by TheGoodLife:

I like this idea
MrsD 12:30 PM 08-28-2014
I have an 8 mo and have been dealing with this since his birth. My girls are 11 & 12. It's better now that school has started but the volume goes up at 3 when they walk in the door, which makes me crazy. My DCB has been super clingy this week and gets worse when they walk through the door.

My 11 yr old is the worst. She just doesn't know how to turn the volume down when she talks and both of them can't seem to realize the door still slams walking out even though you closed it quietly coming in.
Heidi 12:43 PM 08-28-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
great suggestions! Thanks!

I've told her before that I was going to make HER explain to the parents that the reason their kids are grouchy is because she woke them up....should have followed through with that!
I dont' think that's enough of a consequence, honestly. I think it needs to be a little steeper. Plus, I'd keep it between you and her. I don't involve my dcp's in my children's upbringing, kwim?

Also, if she can't be quiet at nap time, maybe spending it in her room with no friends at all, and no "out" may be a reasonable consequence. Honestly, if it happened once in a while I'd forgive it-people forget. But, it sounds like a fairly regular occurrence. She's not forgetting; she just isn't interested in your needs or the others. Make her interested.
Unregistered 11:38 PM 08-28-2014
My 12 year old dd and 5 year old ds earlier this summer. I have my own 17 month old ds plus 4 year old dcg and 3 & 2 year old dcb that the two of them woke up. I needed to finish clean my kitchen from lunch and start a couple loads of laundry. Sho the room i have the kids play in, i can look in on right from my sink. The both of my kids had to play and keep all the little ones happy during that time instead of what they wanted to do. After having 4 little ones upset and crying because of being tried they were never loud again during naptime. I was watch everything going on in the daycare room the whole.
Angelsj 03:22 AM 08-29-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
Grrr! My 13 yo drives me batty at naptime! This girl just doesn't get it no matter how much I drill it into her head...KEEP QUIET AT NAPTIME!!!!!

She is known to come barreling down the stairs yelling my name (usually over something silly that can wait or isn't a huge ordeal to come yelling for me, you know, like "where is my other shoe?"

I have new infant that I'm trying to get situated here, I FINALLY got him to take a decent nap, he was still sleeping until she woke him up with her mouth! UUGGHHH!

I go over it every day...it's naptime, keep quiet, stay in your room or stay outside, no walking through the downstairs, and KEEP QUIET!!

Everyday, the same thing, she talks too loud or comes inside with a friend or SOMETHING that wakes up the kids... then it's "Oops, sorry!" When she sees that I'm upset she says "what? I said sorry!"

Sorry means nothing! It won't undo the fact that she woke someone up...again!

I've even locked her out a couple times before...but then she rings the doorbell!
My 13 and 14 yo are home all the time (home school.) I have a "you wake 'em, you take 'em rule. If they do something that wakes a child, THEY entertain, feed or care for that kid until nap time is over. As you can imagine once or twice of that, and they learned to shut up! lol
jgcp 08:39 AM 08-29-2014
My sister in law lives across the street and has a 13 yo and a 9yo that come over tho have me do their hair (like im not busy and they are old enough to do themselves) or wait for their mom to get home or whatever But ALWAYS knock super load ummmm no i get SOOOOOO mad im hanging a sign for them and parents, ups, anyone who thinks about knocking. Sign: Children sleeping DO NOT KNOCK OR RING DOORBELL, or you can put them back to sleep" oh and i forgot about the new before and after school kids i just got only thur is a half day EVERY WEEK! gotta get used to that im not sure how to handle that yet
KBCsMommy 09:23 AM 08-29-2014
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
My 13 and 14 yo are home all the time (home school.) I have a "you wake 'em, you take 'em rule. If they do something that wakes a child, THEY entertain, feed or care for that kid until nap time is over. As you can imagine once or twice of that, and they learned to shut up! lol
I have a 13 yo dd, 11 yo dd and 6 yo ds.....This is Exactly the same rule I have in my house. They learned pretty quick not to wake the kids and be quiet.
jgcp 10:38 AM 08-29-2014
My sister in law lives across the street and has a 13 yo and a 9yo that come over tho have me do their hair (like im not busy and they are old enough to do themselves) or wait for their mom to get home or whatever But ALWAYS knock super load ummmm no i get SOOOOOO mad im hanging a sign for them and parents, ups, anyone who thinks about knocking. Sign: Children sleeping DO NOT KNOCK OR RING DOORBELL, or you can put them back to sleep" oh and i forgot about the new before and after school kids i just got only thur is a half day EVERY WEEK! gotta get used to that im not sure how to handle that yet
Reply Up