Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sticking to Sick Policy?
finsup 06:55 AM 05-04-2015
OK, so myself, kids and husband are all sick. Started with DCB last week and well, we've all got it. I text problem family this morning to let her know (the same ones with the sunscreen problem). She tells me she doesn't have any other options and to just keep them isolated. I reply, I can't very well isolate him from myself seeing that I have it too or keep a 1 and 3 year old away from everyone for the whole day. It's not bad enough to close but I do want you to be aware (I'm sure we infected him or DCB did last week anyways and he'll get it sooner or later). They refused to find back up when I told them they needed it for situations like this, or risk getting your kid sick. Dcd ended up calling out and keeping dcb home but now they're mad and are going to except a reduced rate for the week. My policy is if I'm open full payment is due. I should stick to that, right?

And I swear if they blame me one more time for all the sickness this year I'm going to scream. Everyone in this area has had an awful winter sickness wise. Its no ones fault,it's just what it is. If we want to start placing blame this DCB has gotten it first nearly every time but of course precious DCB just gets it from the kids here, he would never get sick otherwise
bklsmum 07:29 AM 05-04-2015
Stick to your policy and I hope you fell better soon!
Thriftylady 07:37 AM 05-04-2015
I think you have to stick to your policy. In my experience when you let something slide once, they always expect it. Having that issue with DCM right now.
Snowmom 07:54 AM 05-04-2015
I sympathize. Dealing with germs and getting sick is the worst part of this job. Unfortunately, there's not much we can do beyond being proactive about our policies and disinfecting.
Personally, if I'm sick and I'm not closing- I don't tell parents. I'm old enough to know not to cough on people and wash my hands.
If my kids are sick, I do call/text parents to let them know, but I also keep my kids away from my daycare space when they're sick. Most choose to come anyway, but if they don't, I would credit them the day, since I GAVE them the option in the first place.
As a parent, I'd be a little put off if someone called me to say "hey, I have a sick household, but if you choose not to share in our misery, you're still going to get charged".
Your situation sounds different than mine, obviously.
If it is your policy to charge 365/year, then there's no argument anyway- but ultimately, I'd say just stick to whatever policy you've already set for your business and reiterate that to them if needed.
finsup 08:22 AM 05-04-2015
Yeah, the only time I offer a reduced rate is if I have to close and I'm not able to offer the amount of days they pay for. As long as I'm open for 3 days (their schedule changes so it isn't a set 3 days in their case) then they have to pay. But from the parent side, I totally get being annoyed for choosing to keep your kid healthy and not sending them. I guess that's the part I struggle with most. But then the argument to my side is well, this is just part of using a home provider and I need reliable income. *sigh* thing is this family causes me so many problems I shouldn't even let it bother me lol. But I suppose bottom line is I am open, and therefore they do pay. Even if it's not the fairest situation :/
Snowmom 10:26 AM 05-04-2015
I wouldn't say it's not "fair". As long as you have clearly written policies, it is fair because that's what they agreed to!
Good luck!
Rachel 12:30 AM 05-06-2015
If I don't feel well and don't close, I don't say a word. Sometiems I get a sub in here (then I do say my sub will be here for a few hours) and sometimes I just manage. Only if i am really so sick I can't work (has only happened once) do I have the sub the whole day.

If my 2 year old is sick I either get someone to watch him or close. If someone is watching him I don't tell the parents in advance (I have a big enough house you can separate), but if I close I do tell them way (it's unpaid). If my older kids are sick (7-11) I don't say a word but they stay away from teh DCK.
sahm1225 08:35 AM 05-06-2015
Originally Posted by finsup:
OK, so myself, kids and husband are all sick. Started with DCB last week and well, we've all got it. I text problem family this morning to let her know (the same ones with the sunscreen problem). She tells me she doesn't have any other options and to just keep them isolated. I reply, I can't very well isolate him from myself seeing that I have it too or keep a 1 and 3 year old away from everyone for the whole day. It's not bad enough to close but I do want you to be aware (I'm sure we infected him or DCB did last week anyways and he'll get it sooner or later). They refused to find back up when I told them they needed it for situations like this, or risk getting your kid sick. Dcd ended up calling out and keeping dcb home but now they're mad and are going to except a reduced rate for the week. My policy is if I'm open full payment is due. I should stick to that, right?

And I swear if they blame me one more time for all the sickness this year I'm going to scream. Everyone in this area has had an awful winter sickness wise. Its no ones fault,it's just what it is. If we want to start placing blame this DCB has gotten it first nearly every time but of course precious DCB just gets it from the kids here, he would never get sick otherwise
Im confused. What was the point of the text you sent to dcm? You texted dcm that you and your family are sick. Dcm says basically oh well, I don't have back up care. did the dcm think your text was you saying you were too ill to provide care? Why did you text the mom if you were still open? It's a little confusing, as a parent I would've taken the text as you saying you don't want to be open, so I shouldn't pay.
finsup 10:20 AM 05-06-2015
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
Im confused. What was the point of the text you sent to dcm? You texted dcm that you and your family are sick. Dcm says basically oh well, I don't have back up care. did the dcm think your text was you saying you were too ill to provide care? Why did you text the mom if you were still open? It's a little confusing, as a parent I would've taken the text as you saying you don't want to be open, so I shouldn't pay.
My policy for mild illness (myself or kids) is to inform parents of what we have and let them decide if they want to risk it or not. Mom wanted me to isolate the kids from hers and I did inform them that I was sick too and well, I can't really isolate myself from him I did state in the text that I am still open, but we all have colds. So they knew I was still open but decided to keep him home anyways.
Regardless, no payment drama this morning (still surprised there) and DCB also has a cold anyways.
sahm1225 10:26 AM 05-06-2015
Originally Posted by finsup:
My policy for mild illness (myself or kids) is to inform parents of what we have and let them decide if they want to risk it or not. Mom wanted me to isolate the kids from hers and I did inform them that I was sick too and well, I can't really isolate myself from him I did state in the text that I am still open, but we all have colds. So they knew I was still open but decided to keep him home anyways.
Regardless, no payment drama this morning (still surprised there) and DCB also has a cold anyways.
Got it! That's great there was not payment drama. And I would NOT have discounted the rate either
Reply Up