Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents Gave Me Two Week Notice...I Have Them Pay Right???
Unregistered 07:54 PM 09-24-2010
I have been watching these two girls for a few months now and the parents just gave me two weeks notice, they say it's nothing to do with me, they adjusted hours at work so they could be home with their children.

As this is only my second time doing childcare in my home, I followed others contract ideas.
I stated to them (and in writting that they agreed and signed) two weeks notice was required on either parties part. And that regardless of attendence they would have to pay.

There was no issue but now......

She said that her daughters were only going to be here one day next week. and that would be the final day. her hours are changing at work that fast.

She said she was going to pay for the two weeks BUT some of the things she has written to me are making me think otherwise.

She said she was trying to convince her oldest daughter to still come to my home a few days over the next two weeks "since I am paying for the care anyways".
But her daughter knows that mom is going to be home and she wants to be with her.

I am almost waiting for them to say...why should we pay for care you didn't provide.
and every single time we talk or email, she keeps asking if I have found other children.
they just gave notice two days ago....

I should still have them pay for the two weeks right? I mean it's not my fault she is stopping with me. And I am totally freaked out about finding more children, no one in my town is looking..

So what is your reasonings on having them still pay?
I'm not a very confrontational person and quite the push over...but I'd love to have a quick response if they come at me???

PLease help
AfterSchoolMom 06:24 AM 09-25-2010
The reasoning for having them pay is that they signed a contract with you stating that they agree to pay for the two weeks. That's really all the reason that you need! I would say to them "you agreed in writing to pay the rate for two weeks, so I expect to be paid by (insert date here)". Maybe even give it to them in writing or send them an email, so that there will be a "paper trail".

If she's already given you a final date, get payment before then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
legomom922 06:58 AM 09-25-2010
That and that you need income coming in to meet your responsibilities while you get other childre in there. If she asks if you have found others, it's none of her business!

It's no different when you give notice at work. So they have time to replace you. And jobs dont tell you if they have hired someone yet. Just say thats business information only.

Yes, have her pay for those 2 wks, and if not, take her to court!
Lilbutterflie 08:09 AM 09-25-2010
Think of this way;
When you are renting or leasing a home, usually 30 days notice is required. If you choose to move to another home & are moving out sooner, you still have to pay the 30 days. The reason the notice is required in the first place is to make sure the landlord is paid for 30 days while looking for another tenant.
Same thing with daycare. The reason 2 weeks notice is required and payment is due is so that the daycare provider has at least two weeks paid while looking for another child to fill the spot.
So if they ask you why they have to pay when you are not providing care, maybe you could use the analogy of renting a home to show them you are not being unreasonable.
professionalmom 07:15 PM 09-25-2010
Although the usual reasoning for the 2 week notice and pay is to compensate you while you advertise, interview, and replace those spots, that is not the ONLY reason. Even if you do not find replacements in that amount of time, you still need time to adjust your budget for the loss of income. But the bottom line is that it does not matter WHY the term is in the contract. It's in there. They read it (if they didn't, that's their problem - not yours). They signed it. If they needed to know WHY, they should have asked BEFORE they signed the contract. And I have had judges say these exact words to a former client I had, so the REASON is moot at this point.

Get what is owed to you. Try to fill those spots. But also be prepared to adjust your budget in the event you don't get replacements.
Tags:notice
Reply Up