Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Really Wish He Wasn't Colicky Thru Afternoon Nap
sahm2three 12:58 PM 02-16-2012
I wish there were something I could do to calm him this time of day.....but nothing I have done with help. He just screams and screams and screams, like he is on fire. I have been spending my break time in the laundry room walking and bouncing him. He just acts like someone is killing him. I have tried teething tablets and strips, gas drops, tylenol, feeding him, changing him, swaddling him, putting him in his carseat on the dryer, nothing works. Any other ideas? I am wearing out fast. He is 5 months, by the way.
Heidi 02:54 PM 02-16-2012
still?

Isn't this the little guy whose been crying almost non stop since day one?

Did you try putting him somewhere quiet and walking away for 5 minutes? You don't have to feel guilty about that. As I said before, maybe he is actually OVER stimulated, and the more bouncing, rocking, and cooing you do, the more irritated he is getting.

Think about it like this...you bang your 'funny bone" on something, and someone is in your face saying "are you okay?" over and over. They mean well, but you just need a minute. THe more concern they show, the more you want to punch them..lol

That is how I imagine overstimulation to be for a baby.

Or, you are in the car with that little piggy that cries weee weee weee all the way home, in heavy traffic, while it's pouring rain, and your child is in the back yelling MOM MAKE HIS STOP! Would you be soothed by an Enja CD at that moment? Uh...you'd probably launch it out of the window.

Anyway, it's worth a try, right? Set up a playpen in your laundry room, cover the window (if there is one), put a VERY soft light in there (a night light, maybe), a fan running SOFTLY (blowing the curtain gently would be ideal), then kiss him, hug him gently, and lay him down. If he screams, wait five minutes, then go back. Pat him very softly on the tummy and say "nighty night" or something along that line. Walk away, put on some headphones for 5-7 minutes (or turn on a loud fan on your side of the wall), and then return. Rinse and repeat, as they say here.

Maybe try it on Monday? By Friday, I am almost certain he will NOT act like this anymore. If he does, I will eat worms! Deal?
Country Kids 03:17 PM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
still?

Did you try putting him somewhere quiet and walking away for 5 minutes? You don't have to feel guilty about that. As I said before, maybe he is actually OVER stimulated, and the more bouncing, rocking, and cooing you do, the more irritated he is getting.

Think about it like this...you bang your 'funny bone" on something, and someone is in your face saying "are you okay?" over and over. They mean well, but you just need a minute. THe more concern they show, the more you want to punch them..lol

Or, you are in the car with that little piggy that cries weee weee weee all the way home, in heavy traffic, while it's pouring rain, and your child is in the back yelling MOM MAKE HIS STOP! Would you be soothed by an Enja CD at that moment? Uh...you'd probably launch it out of the window.

Anyway, it's worth a try, right? Set up a playpen in your laundry room, cover the window (if there is one), put a VERY soft light in there (a night light, maybe), a fan running SOFTLY (blowing the curtain gently would be ideal), then kiss him, hug him gently, and lay him down. If he screams, wait five minutes, then go back. Pat him very softly on the tummy and say "nighty night" or something along that line. Walk away, put on some headphones for 5-7 minutes (or turn on a loud fan on your side of the wall), and then return. Rinse and repeat, as they say here.

Maybe try it on Monday? By Friday, I am almost certain he will NOT act like this anymore. If he does, I will eat worms! Deal?
Take it! I so want to see the outcome!
sahm2three 06:56 PM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
still?

I am crazy about regs, and under 6 months is supposed to be in the same room as the provider. I hate to stray too much from regs......but maybe I could put him in there and sit outside the open door with my laptop?
sahm2three 07:00 PM 02-16-2012
And yes.....this is the same baby.
MyAngels 07:03 PM 02-16-2012
Have you tried any sort of white noise at all? I have a recording of a hairdryer that I've used with good success.

Maybe a scent - I use lavender.

I also agree with the PP about over stimulation. I've had a couple of babies over the years that just wanted some peace and quiet and a break from the noise of daycare .
Heidi 07:11 PM 02-16-2012
sorry...I didn't know about your regs! If those were our regs, I'd NEVER take a baby under 6 months, I'm sure!!!!!

So, you HAVE to be in the same room with them at all times????? That is TOTALLY contrary to shaken baby training! you know...they overwhelm you...you walk away...

Ok, so get some noise cancelling headphones, or put a cd on (with headphones) really loud, and sit at the edge of the door.....not going against regs, right? Letter of the law. It'd just be nice if he doesn't know sense you're there, lurking.

Ok, I get why they have the same room reg, but really, if he's screaming his bloody little head off, he's obviously still breathing!!!

What I'm getting at is I still think the little guy is overstimulated, and he needs space. Give it to him, however you can while still following "the rules". He will be happy, you will be happy, and both your blood pressures will be measurably lower!
Cat Herder 04:23 AM 02-17-2012
I have to be in the same room, too....

First I'd require a medical clearance and pediatricians recomendation.

I do a combination of white noise, cool breeze, scent and obstructing view.

I use a ocean sounds cd, a box fan behind a baby gate, a spritz of light scent (unless I have someone with asthma) and place the crib where it is partially obstructed from view (his, not mine).
countrymom 06:20 AM 02-17-2012
is like this at home, what are they doing. i think that it needs to be lessening not getting worse. I wonder if its the formula. Have they switched it (it takes a week to notice a difference) has she brought him in, I wonder if he has a hernia.
Tags:colicky, nap - disruptions
Reply Up