Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Lessons That You Taught The Hard Way
daycare 04:19 PM 03-14-2012
The thread about the little girl not talking to the provider sparked a thought for me after reading another post about how the little girl responded to the providers refusal to help the child because the child was not being respectful.

What discipline have you implemented that taught a great lesson to a child?

This might sound mean, but today one of my 4 year old DCG learned a tuff lesson the hard way. She refuses to listen to me. SO

today she had to sit in time out with the screamer, who is 20 months old. She begged and pleated with the scream to please stop maybe a million times. I could see her getting more and more worked up that the screamer refused to listen to her words..(of course he didnt, he's 20months) Eventually it brought her to begging me to make it stop and then a few tears. It happened twice today.

After the last time that it happened, I asked her how do you feel right now? She told me I am very mad at SCREAMER. I asked her why. She said because DCK won't listen to my words. Oh I see, so how do you think it makes me feel when you won't listen to me? She tells me mad and angry just like me. I told her you are so right. I told her if she didn't want to listen, then she could not come into the room with the big kids and would have to stay with the babies. She promised to listen. Rest of the day she was awesome.

When mom came, she looked at her mom and said mommy I am sorry that I didn't listen to your words. Then she told mom all about what happened. I was so shocked that she really understood what it felt like when someone didn't listen to your words....

Would love to hear your stories.......
Kaddidle Care 05:09 PM 03-14-2012
A taste of their own medicine usually gets through faster than anything else.

I hope the lesson sticks.
bunnyslippers 05:11 PM 03-14-2012
I once had a four year old who would refuse to open his ziploc bag that his lunch was in. He would sit at the table tantrumming, groaning, grunting, and dramatically pulling at the ziploc bag. It would go on for the entire lunch time - he wouldn't even do it with hand-over-hand help.

This child loved elephants.

One day, he went to the table with all the plastic toy animals on it. Surprisingly, ALL of the elephants were in ziploc bags. Even more surprisingly, he got them out of the bags within 3 seconds and he was playing with them.

The next day at lunch, no drama. Just ate his sandwich.
frugalmama4 05:37 PM 03-14-2012
Ok so don't judge me,

I have one dck who loves to bite....
one day after going into the baby area when I said NO NO NO...she came out a changed women

Well lets just say my teething dcb love the taste of fresh meat
daycare 06:48 PM 03-14-2012
Originally Posted by bunnyslippers:
I once had a four year old who would refuse to open his ziploc bag that his lunch was in. He would sit at the table tantrumming, groaning, grunting, and dramatically pulling at the ziploc bag. It would go on for the entire lunch time - he wouldn't even do it with hand-over-hand help.

This child loved elephants.

One day, he went to the table with all the plastic toy animals on it. Surprisingly, ALL of the elephants were in ziploc bags. Even more surprisingly, he got them out of the bags within 3 seconds and he was playing with them.

The next day at lunch, no drama. Just ate his sandwich.
Hahahah that is funny. Pretty amazing what they can do but want us to think they can't.
countrymom 07:01 PM 03-14-2012
they are the best ideas I have ever heard.
Heidi 07:26 PM 03-14-2012
Originally Posted by frugalmama4:
Ok so don't judge me,

I have one dck who loves to bite....
one day after going into the baby area when I said NO NO NO...she came out a changed women

Well lets just say my teething dcb love the taste of fresh meat
Oh dear....I thought you were going to say YOU bit the biter...lol
AfterSchoolMom 04:49 AM 03-15-2012
I have one that I did with my own kids that worked very well.

They refused to pick up after themselves for several days, and I refused to pick up after them (they were 3 and 5 at the time, so old enough to put their own toys away). After about the third day I'd had enough, so after a couple of warnings that they ignored, I went through with a garbage bag and indiscriminately picked up every toy that was on the ground. Unfortunately for them, there were several of their favorite toys in there and one stuffed animal that my DS loved. They went on "vacation" in the attic.

I felt like the most awful person ever, but it never happened again...at least not in the public areas of the house!
Kaddidle Care 05:12 AM 03-15-2012
We have one fresh enough that he would "help you" by throwing the toys in the actual garbage. He's one that will always call your bluff.

I've had good results from just closing up all of the toy cabinets and bringing out one toy at a time. Once they pick up that toy, they may have another.

My co-worker did the "Clean Up Train" with them yesterday which was a pretty good hit. They go around the room chugga, chugga like a train and they stop and she says "do you see anything out of order?" and they scramble to grab the things and put them away. Then the train starts again. It was cute! No the "Hard Way" by any means but I love new ideas!
cheeseheadmama 05:26 AM 03-15-2012
These are great! I am going to have to write some of them down.

I had 2 boys (age 5 & 6) who had a VERY hard time getting along one day. Could not share anything, were constantly yelling at each other and just generally causing everyone to be miserable. The worst part was they could NOT even talk to each other about their feelings; I had them both sit at a table away from everyone else and they had to draw a picture together. They could draw whatever they wanted but they had to talk about it and agree before they drew anything. Then as conflicts started we talked about how they each were feeling and some solutions to those conflicts. It took forever, but it really diffused the situation and they were best buds the rest of the week with no conflict. And they were so proud of their drawing!
Meyou 05:27 AM 03-15-2012
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
I have one that I did with my own kids that worked very well.

They refused to pick up after themselves for several days, and I refused to pick up after them (they were 3 and 5 at the time, so old enough to put their own toys away). After about the third day I'd had enough, so after a couple of warnings that they ignored, I went through with a garbage bag and indiscriminately picked up every toy that was on the ground. Unfortunately for them, there were several of their favorite toys in their and one stuffed animal that my DS loved. They went on "vacation" in the attic.

I felt like the most awful person ever, but it never happened again...at least not in the public areas of the house!
I did this with my kids too. All I have to do is threaten the garbage bag and they scramble!
AfterSchoolMom 06:56 AM 03-15-2012
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I did this with my kids too. All I have to do is threaten the garbage bag and they scramble!
Me too! The threat still works, even six years later.
daycare 07:53 AM 03-15-2012
Just MOnday I told my son to pick up his marbles or they were going in the trash. He didn't pick them up and so I followed through. As I was picking some up, he started to pick some up too. BUT he walked over to the trash can and threw them away like I did. UGH he's 4.......

BACKFIRE
Tags:lessons learned too well
Reply Up