Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Runner
Unregistered 11:47 AM 09-11-2013
I have a 2 1/2 year old girl that runs every chance she gets. We use to go to the park daily but the first time I brought her along she took off( and she's fast ) . I had 6 others with me so needless to say we don't go there anymore . There's about 5 ft between my front door and our play are. I always have one of the other kids hold her hand since I have 2 non walking toddlers in my arms but there have been instances she's pulled away and took off and I have to chase her down the sidewalk.
Inside, everytime it's time to change her, time to eat, or anything else I need her for she will run from me. It's just getting very tiereing so I'm just wondering if anyone else has gone through this with one of their kiddos?
Luvnmykidz 12:38 PM 09-11-2013
My dd was a runner for quite some time. She is also on the spectrum and when she was in preschool they called her "Track Star". It became a safety issue long before she started school. My insurance stepped in and purchased a special stroller for her and she also received ABA Therapy. When ever we left the house she was hand to hand for short distances ( walking to and from the car or bus). Distances longer than that she was placed in a stroller and buckled in. I had to work with her on holding onto me or the stroller and if she let go, ran or refused to then she was placed back in the stroller. At school they did a sticker book with her. She held her book and was given a sticker for each transition that she completed without running. This worked for us and now she is 6 and is no longer a runner.
Memc2001 01:02 PM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by Luvnmykidz:
My dd was a runner for quite some time. She is also on the spectrum and when she was in preschool they called her "Track Star". It became a safety issue long before she started school. My insurance stepped in and purchased a special stroller for her and she also received ABA Therapy. When ever we left the house she was hand to hand for short distances ( walking to and from the car or bus). Distances longer than that she was placed in a stroller and buckled in. I had to work with her on holding onto me or the stroller and if she let go, ran or refused to then she was placed back in the stroller. At school they did a sticker book with her. She held her book and was given a sticker for each transition that she completed without running. This worked for us and now she is 6 and is no longer a runner.
"Track Star" I love it!
lovemylife 01:23 PM 09-11-2013
I have a 4 year old that will dart out the door when a parent gets here. I have locks at the top of all my doors in case he ever try's to escape. On his second day before I knew he would run, he saw his mom park in the street (door was open because another parent was here) he took off out the door running to the street I took off after him. I reached the sidewalk tripped on the concrete and skinned up the left side of my face, side and leg. Thankfully the mother grabbed him before a car came speeding by! It was soooo scary! Because of that I installed a baby gate around the door. At 4 he can figure it out but it slows him down so I can stop him before he try's to take off. When I notice a parent pull into the drive way I will unlock the door and the parent will just come in. They then shut the door and lock it. Good luck! Runners are scary!
Cat Herder 01:44 PM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a 2 1/2 year old girl that runs every chance she gets. We use to go to the park daily but the first time I brought her along she took off( and she's fast ) . I had 6 others with me so needless to say we don't go there anymore . There's about 5 ft between my front door and our play are. I always have one of the other kids hold her hand since I have 2 non walking toddlers in my arms but there have been instances she's pulled away and took off and I have to chase her down the sidewalk.
Inside, everytime it's time to change her, time to eat, or anything else I need her for she will run from me. It's just getting very tiereing so I'm just wondering if anyone else has gone through this with one of their kiddos?
Situations like this are why my State no longer allows DCK's to be outside of a locked fence.

It is just too hard to manage alone, in group care, and the risks are permanent ones.
cheerfuldom 03:19 PM 09-11-2013
My guess is that mom and dad are chasing her at home and think its funny when she runs instead of cooperating. That is not always the case but would be my first guess. Can you go to the park if you put a backpack harness on her? I dont generally suggest those but its a shame that everyone misses park time due to one childs behavior. I would also suggest putting one child on your back in a carrier (whoever is smallest) and then her and another non-walker in a double stroller and that leaves only three to walk.
countrymom 03:39 PM 09-11-2013
I was also going to suggest a leash or put her in a stroller. Also get some top locks for your screen doors. I have them and now I have parents who have purchased them too. also if you are outside I would buy and outdoor play yard and keep her in there, this way you are limiting her from escaping. She will get it. And I agree with cheer, I bet you that they are playing this game at home too.
Familycare71 04:01 PM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
My guess is that mom and dad are chasing her at home and think its funny when she runs instead of cooperating. That is not always the case but would be my first guess. Can you go to the park if you put a backpack harness on her? I dont generally suggest those but its a shame that everyone misses park time due to one childs behavior. I would also suggest putting one child on your back in a carrier (whoever is smallest) and then her and another non-walker in a double stroller and that leaves only three to walk.
I had a runner who was on the spectrum. He debuted his new talent by running away from mom in Walmart and into the parking lot!
We used a backpack harness on him but had to do it backwards because he figured out the clasps- I am much less judgmental when I see them used now because for some kids it is required!
Reply Up