Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Your Personal Schedule With Daycare
SJT43015 04:24 PM 12-03-2013
I'm new at this and struggling a bit. What kind of schedule do you follow for yourself to balance your daycare and running your household (cleaning, cooking, etc).
hope 04:47 PM 12-03-2013
I get up early each morning to clean. It's me time! Everyone is sleeping and no daycare kids have come yet so I put on the news and drink my coffee as I clean.
I clean thoroughly after each meal and snack. If I don't the crumbs make their way through the house. The kids are my helpers in this task. Some get real jobs, some get the job of wiping a dry paper towel on the seats to keep them busy. I usually play some music and we make up songs or have a dance party as we clean.
I do laundry and cooking during nap time. I Usually throw in a load in the morning and keep doing so till nap time. Once all the kids are asleep I can fold and hang.
nights and weekends I only have minimal cleaning to do bc I keep up with it during the day.
jenboo 06:02 PM 12-03-2013
All daycare related work gets done during daycare hours. After meals, i clean the kitchen and after lunch I run the dishwasher. Fridays I do laundry. I wash and dry and DH puts it all away when he gets home from work.
During nap I will clean one area of the house and then sit and watch a little tv. I also will work on tax stuff/ paper work while watching tv. After nap, I unload the dishwasher. After pm snack I clean the daycare room really well and we dont get messy activities back out (those are for the morning).
Fridays I do daycare laundry after nap and get cots/cribs remade as soon as the last kiddo gets picked up.

After all the kids are gone, I relax most nights. Occasionally I'll clean something I couldn't get done during nap time.

I don't have any children of my own yet, so I know that would make a big difference. I don't have many responsibilities in the evenings.
MamaBearCanada 06:04 PM 12-03-2013
I have found the FlyLady site and emails helpful
MCC 06:16 PM 12-03-2013
I also get all daycare related things done during daycare hours. I clean up after meals. My H cooks lunch in the kitchen upstairs, and delivers it to us downstairs, so he cleans the kitchen while the kids are eating. We turned our laundry room into a large motor room, so I push laundry though and fold it while the kids are playing in there, and H puts it away.

I have an assistant now, so at nap time I head upstairs and she runs the show the rest of the day. I use nap time to relax, and then after nap I have my DD upstairs with me and we sometimes will organize things, or do light cleaning. We have a cleaning lady, so I leave the windows, bathrooms and floors to her. Honestly, I don't know if I could keep it all clean without having our cleaning lady.

We also usually have our groceries delivered, so that really saves time there.

When I first started out I was pretty overwhelmed by it all, but it has gotten easier, and I'm only 15 months in.
TwinKristi 06:39 PM 12-03-2013
I had a cleaning lady until last month when I lost 2 kids and got notice for a 3rd. I was bummed. It was really helpful to not worry about certain things. Currently I clean the kitchen & living area (where I have my daycare) through the day. In the mornings I pick up anything my kids have left out and get my own SA kids' breakfast & snacks ready and get them off to school, sometimes I do dishes while the DC kids eat breakfast or do my MM computer work, update my craiglsit listing, etc. We have free play time (in or out depending on weather, usually in this time of year) until 11:30 when we clean up the living room, have lunch and then lay down for nap around 12. My big kids come home either at 1:45 on Wed or 3pm the other days. We have snack and do homework then outside play time if it's not wet! I have two teenagers who help in the afternoon/evenings if I'm making dinner and still have kids here. Usually it's only a SA and 2yr old I have after 5pm. The other house cleaning and laundry gets done after hours because our laundry is outside and in an off limits area.
Lorri 06:52 PM 12-03-2013
I am up at 5 getting me ready and getting ready for daycare, printing papers off, prep for breakfast and lunch, I will put in a load of laundry and toss in the dryer before the kids get here then fold at nap. I clean after everybody leaves
LaLa1923 09:05 PM 12-03-2013
Originally Posted by MCC:
I also get all daycare related things done during daycare hours. I clean up after meals. My H cooks lunch in the kitchen upstairs, and delivers it to us downstairs, so he cleans the kitchen while the kids are eating. We turned our laundry room into a large motor room, so I push laundry though and fold it while the kids are playing in there, and H puts it away.

I have an assistant now, so at nap time I head upstairs and she runs the show the rest of the day. I use nap time to relax, and then after nap I have my DD upstairs with me and we sometimes will organize things, or do light cleaning. We have a cleaning lady, so I leave the windows, bathrooms and floors to her. Honestly, I don't know if I could keep it all clean without having our cleaning lady.

We also usually have our groceries delivered, so that really saves time there.

When I first started out I was pretty overwhelmed by it all, but it has gotten easier, and I'm only 15 months in.
How much do you pay your assistant? I want an assistant!!
blandino 09:50 PM 12-03-2013
I dedicate every Minday evening to doing anything & everything that needs to be dine for the daycare that week (grocery shopping/errands/art & lesson prep/ wash bedding/ deep clean/etc). I also grocery shop for the daycare 1x every two weeks (make small trips on Monday for produce and milk).

I get everything else done during daycare hours. I keep a dry erase board with a list of projects that needs to be done, and will try and do one at nap each day.

I also have myself on a pretty set schedule. It is definitely part of my OCPD, but I really need that schedule.

Monday: work related things
Tuesday: laundry & cleaning
Wednesday: outdoor/dogs
Thursday: personal health & grooming
Friday: errands (hopefully nothing though).
Scout 04:14 AM 12-04-2013
Unfortunately, I do my major cleaning on the weekends. I have realized that I have to let go some of my pickiness and do nof need to dust every single book, candle, etc every week. I have reslized it goes much quicker if I use the bathroom cleaner in all areas I need it, then put it away, same with windex. For example, I will go around doing all mirrors amd glass throughout the house. Then I will wipe down counters, microwave, oven, door hadles, ligjt switches all at once. When something is completed I move on to the next task. Usually dist the whome house at once and since I do not move everything each week anymore and dust around some of it, it goes pretty quick. Then I vacuum the whole house, then wash floors. I used to complete my cleaning room by room, but, I always felt sgressed thay I was not getting anywhere so I find this way easier.

During hours, I enpty the dishwasher during breakfast, clean up breakfast after ds gets on the bus. I clean up the kitchen, family room, and play room after meals and make sure all toys are put away for nap time. Before turning in for the night, make sure there are no crumbs, dishes out, or dirty laundry laying around, which the kids help me with whike we pkay in the playroom. Unfortunatley, my dh does not help much but, he takes good care of our kids while I work 3 nights a week and is great with the dcks. I have to give him credit since his house is not his own on most of his days off so I know that must stink for him! He does vacuum occasionally on tue weekends, but, I think its more to get it done in the living room before football starts!
Play Care 04:47 AM 12-04-2013
I also follow a Fly Lady type system. I don't wait for cleaning issues to pile up and then spend hours cleaning. I do a little something each day so that by Friday my house is clean - as soon as the last dck leaves on Friday I vacuum and am DONE. I take advantage of natural clean up times throughout the day, and have kids assist when they can.
I meal plan, so I always know what's for dinner. I assemble it ahead of time so it's ready as soon as the last dck leaves. I have found that during quiet time I need a mix of relaxation and work - so I might clean a bathroom or fold some laundry during that time in addition to putting my feet up with a cup of tea. I will say that since my own kids have gone off to school this is much easier - when they were home and not napping I was with them. In truth I wish I had cherished that time more and worried about cleaning less.
Annalee 06:46 AM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by Scout:
Unfortunately, I have realized that I have to let go some of my pickiness and do nof need to dust every single book, candle, etc every week.
This is me! I used to run myself crazy with dc and housework not being able to find a balance. I did not go to bed till every thing was in place. It absolutely did not work... Now, I "try" to let dc go when I am home and vice versa for my home duties when I am at dc. With my own fam, I have learned as long as my beds are clean, dishes are washed, and clothes are clean, then we can manage....We have a very "lived in" home. If I watch the show "hoarders", I realize I am not so bad, actually am a great housekeeper by those standards....
LaLa1923 07:19 AM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by Lorri:
I am up at 5 getting me ready and getting ready for daycare, printing papers off, prep for breakfast and lunch, I will put in a load of laundry and toss in the dryer before the kids get here then fold at nap. I clean after everybody leaves
I wish I could get up this early!!
Soccermom 09:32 AM 12-04-2013
I do laundry during DC hours. The laundry room is right next to the playroom. I fold while the littles play.

I do my grocery shopping on Wednesday nights.

I clean the house on Saturday mornings.

I get supper ready after we clean up the DC toys. The kids can sit and play at the kitchen table while I prepare my evening meal.
Memc2001 11:17 AM 12-04-2013
As long as I can afford it, I pay someone to clean my home 2-3 times a month. It really helps. When hubby is off, he does some laundry. I am also in school full-time so my time away from daycare and with my kids is very valuable.

Juggling it all is something that eventually will work itself out. It's never easy and some things have to wait but that is true with everyone I think.
Lorri 04:38 PM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
I wish I could get up this early!!
My husband get up at 445 so when he is done then I get up, he has a hour compute to work. I found after a while I enjoyed getting up because it was so quite at that time in the morning.
MCC 09:08 PM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
How much do you pay your assistant? I want an assistant!!
I pay her $10/hour, and I pay her Holidays (only the major ones) I am just outside DC, she came from a center that was paying her $8.50 an hour.
LaLa1923 03:52 AM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by MCC:
I pay her $10/hour, and I pay her Holidays (only the major ones) I am just outside DC, she came from a center that was paying her $8.50 an hour.
Do you use her every day? I'm struggling with the decision to hire an assistant. It's money I will loose from my pocket....ugh
Maria2013 05:30 AM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by Lorri:
that^ only I sleep 20 minutes more than you
me time is the weekend
Brooksie 07:42 AM 12-05-2013
In the morning I get up with dd around 7:00 and make breakfast, straighten up any mess she made since the day before. Doors open at 7:30. DBF wakes up around 8:30-9 and does the dishes, I wipe down counters while I make breakfast. I make sure we are all cleaned up before the kids leave (90% of toys put away) and then as soon as everyone's gone or sometimes just before, I put up chairs and sweep. Run errands and do out family routine, generally a load of laundry.

Sundays I split up the rest of the house work with dbf and we can generally knock everything out before nap time. Laundry, however, is a constant battle. It never ends and always piles up.
Tags:managing - time, managing time, schedule
Reply Up