Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dig Dig Digging...
Little Buttons 05:26 AM 04-25-2014
I am in the process of being licensed, however, I currently care for my husband's cousin's son. He is 15 months old and it has worked out well due to our sons being only 2 weeks apart in age. I have maintained a professional relationship with them, they are aware and excited that I will soon be licensed!

My question is...their 15 month old returned after spring break with the fun new skill of digging in his diaper and/or taking his diaper off. When i mentioned this to his mom she was aware and seemed to think it was just adorable!?! Ok then Yesterday he took his diaper off at the end of nap time...fortunately it was not poopy but still gross!

1) How do i teach him not to do this?

2) Is it unreasonable for me to require mom to either dress him in a one piece outfit or put a onesie under his outfit when he comes here?

3) How long does this "Phase" last?

Thanks so much!!!
JoseyJo 05:30 AM 04-25-2014
Search "footed" in this forum. It will bring up tons of great info on backward facing footed pj's. Just what the dr ordered for this exact issue I think Nannyde even has a video on youtube explaining how they work.
SilverSabre25 05:32 AM 04-25-2014
not unreasonable at all to require a onesie or one piece! That's definitely the first step.

Unfortunately I don't think there's much teaching him not to. Just removing access and hoping he potty trains early
dalman 05:33 AM 04-25-2014
I have had a few do this, so at nap time, I put a onesie on the child. This seems to work for most. But there is always that one child, so the next level was to get a larger sleeper and put it on backwards so it zips up the back. Works like a charm.
cheerfuldom 05:35 AM 04-25-2014
Require a onesie and pants to be worn at all times or footed, zippered pajamas. If he can get the zipper down, cut the feet off the jammies and put them on backwards. Its a phase and could last anywhere from a few weeks to a year. Just require the correct clothing options. You could also keep the altered jammies at your house and they can send him in whatever but generally at 15 months, the kids cant manage getting out for regular zippered jammies.
debbiedoeszip 05:52 AM 04-25-2014
I had a completely different tactic with my DS when he reached a phase of taking off his diaper. I "fortified" the diaper with packing tape, and overlapped the ends in the back (where his little t-rex arms couldn't reach). It meant cutting the diaper off when it needed changing (carefully, of course), but it worked like a charm otherwise. I realize that regulations would likely not permit this tactic, but I thought it might, at least, give a laugh.
Little Buttons 06:46 AM 04-25-2014
Footed jammies...awesome idea girlies! Thank you!!! I do plan to still ask her to bring him in a onesie from now on because he is rather quick with it! BTW I thought the packing tape idea was rather hilarious! I'm too clumsy to be cutting off diapers but way to be creative!!!
Cradle2crayons 07:15 AM 04-25-2014
Originally Posted by debbiedoeszip:
I had a completely different tactic with my DS when he reached a phase of taking off his diaper. I "fortified" the diaper with packing tape, and overlapped the ends in the back (where his little t-rex arms couldn't reach). It meant cutting the diaper off when it needed changing (carefully, of course), but it worked like a charm otherwise. I realize that regulations would likely not permit this tactic, but I thought it might, at least, give a laugh.
I also had to do this with my daughter. Boy she was quick. And got out of the backwards footed Jammies. I watched her on video once lol.

After watching her on video sling poop at her door... I was done... And pulled out the plastic tape...
Unregistered 07:33 AM 04-25-2014
I would make sure he stays in a onesie or wears pants/shorts at all times. Also, if he does manage to undress himself and take of the diaper, put him back in one as quick as possible and don't laugh or make a big deal about it.

It could last a couple weeks, or it could last until he is fully potty trained. Some children are fascinated, entertained by, or don't like the feel of diapers. I would make sure to clothe him immediately after every diaper change, and don't let him run around in just a diaper when the weather gets warmer.
NightOwl 07:41 AM 04-25-2014
Originally Posted by debbiedoeszip:
Lol. T Rex arms.....
itlw8 11:09 AM 04-25-2014
duct tape on the diaper keeps it on and a onesie OVER the clothes keep s the dig from the side from happening
Reply Up