Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Serious Question - Home Daycare Providers, Opinions/Advice Needed
Hunni Bee 06:23 PM 06-23-2012
Especially Blackcat, Meeko, and those of you who own an second home for daycare.

Many of you know I am completely over the center I'm working at now, and I really am trying to leave there. I have finished my CDA stuff, and just have to take the test in a couple weeks. I don't feel great about walking as soon as I get my CDA, but I truly feel like I've given that place all it deserves from me, and I'm not being arrogant.

I also dread going to work in another center, even a good one. I've applied to a couple other centers just because it makes the most sense. But I really really REALLY want to open my own. I feel like I've learned enough between my center, my CDA coursework, and you guys that I can do it.

The problem is, I have zero startup at this point. I have very little money saved up, I live in an apartment, and I know of at least two family day homes less than a block away from where I'm living now.

So my questions are:

1.Can you operate a family day home (FDH) in a residence that you do not live in, in VA? I've searched the regulation book, but I can't find anything that speaks directly to this. But it seems that anything outside the providers home is a considered a center ...which is a whole 'nother can of worms licensing wise.

2. Are there grants to start up a FDH? Has anyone ever gotten one?

3. Loans - has anybody gotten a loan to start their FDH? I'm not completely thrilled about this aspect, as my credit isn't great, I already have student loans and I fear what may happen if it takes a while for business to pick up.

I know that I'm not at all ready, but I've been working in childcare for over 5 years and with older children for three years longer, and I know I'm ready to give up the "institution" part. I want to own my own business. I'm not afraid of licensing, health, fire, etc inspections because I've done all that where I'm at.

I can't see myself toiling in somebody else's center for 5 more years with two degrees and all the other training and certification I have. I just have to get started . All advice, flaming, etc welcome.
Tags:financial assistance, grants, start up cost
Up