Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>School Next Fall
DaveA 06:52 AM 04-28-2020
Those of you who take school agers- are you doing the “remote learning” with DCKs?

Right now I have one 1st grader coming. His homework is a few worksheets and some books, so it’s stuff he can do at the table in 30-45 min/ day. No biggie. But I can’t help but wonder what if they don’t start attending school next fall. Some teachers in the area have been told to have contingencies for that ready. Then I’ll probably have him, a kindergartner, possibly another 2nd grader, & my own 2 high school kids. I’m not sure I want to play “one room schoolhouse” next year. I feel like this should be DCPs responsibility at home rather than in my care.

Trying to figure out how to address with this with DCPs if they start asking about it.
Annalee 07:22 AM 04-28-2020
Originally Posted by DaveA:
Those of you who take school agers- are you doing the “remote learning” with DCKs?

Right now I have one 1st grader coming. His homework is a few worksheets and some books, so it’s stuff he can do at the table in 30-45 min/ day. No biggie. But I can’t help but wonder what if they don’t start attending school next fall. Some teachers in the area have been told to have contingencies for that ready. Then I’ll probably have him, a kindergartner, possibly another 2nd grader, & my own 2 high school kids. I’m not sure I want to play “one room schoolhouse” next year. I feel like this should be DCPs responsibility at home rather than in my care.

Trying to figure out how to address with this with DCPs if they start asking about it.
My school-nurse parent has told me the same thing. She is looking to get hired at a surgery center as she has been told school possibly will not start in the fall. I worry more about my graduate than my other high schooler as he will not be able to begin vocational school. It's hard when you are so excited about beginning the next chapter of your life after graduation and then that fails, but it is what it is I guess.
Blackcat31 07:31 AM 04-28-2020
I am providing a quiet space, wi-fi and an opportunity for them to do their work but I am not really supervising it. I am available if they need help but honestly it's really not my place or responsibility to make sure they get their work done.
AmyKidsCo 01:20 PM 04-28-2020
Luckily my only school-ager is my granddaughter. She uses our iPad to access her assignments & lessons. She's in 5th grade so she doesn't need a lot of oversight, but it does add an extra layer of stress to my day to make sure she does her homework. I really hope schools don't continue distance learning this fall because our 7th grader hasn't been keeping up with his homework, which adds an EXTRA extra layer of stress to my days.
Valerie928 01:32 PM 04-28-2020
Originally Posted by Annalee:
My school-nurse parent has told me the same thing. She is looking to get hired at a surgery center as she has been told school possibly will not start in the fall. I worry more about my graduate than my other high schooler as he will not be able to begin vocational school. It's hard when you are so excited about beginning the next chapter of your life after graduation and then that fails, but it is what it is I guess.
I highly doubt they will not start school in the fall. We're talking 4 months from now.
TwinMama 02:12 PM 04-28-2020
Originally Posted by DaveA:

I have a first grader and my 2 pre-k kids. I wait until daycare kids are gone before we do my kid's homework.

I told Mom that I won't be responsible for a tablet getting broke. I don't mind letting her do artwork during quiet time, but I'm not going to be able to sit with her and help her with her other homework.

Mom wanted me to be in charge of it. She even sent me all the links to communicate with her teachers. instead of doing her homework when they get home.

Now I found out that they're just not doing her homework. They go outside and play instead. So I'm glad I didn't waste my time.

You know what you have time for, but I wouldn't put that on your plate too.
bklsmum 02:30 PM 04-28-2020
I really think that even IF they go back for the start of school we will be locking down again in the fall/winter and they will be back to remote learning no later than November. I have a kindy boy that I nanny usually and his parents are WFH with a lot of phone work and we all live in the same multi family that they bought for us all so I am watching him and his littler brother same as usual and I am doing home schooling with him during the da and his parents keep him for him 3 times a week morning zoom calls with his class and handle his weekly packets his teacher sends him in the evenings. We will continue this in the fall if needed and we all think it will be needed.
Tags:coronavirus - afterwards
Reply Up