Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Subs Cost?
jojosmommy 10:14 AM 02-09-2011
so How much do subs charge in your area?

I am looking for a sub and just got quoted $14/hr.

I know you also have to factor in taxes, ss and all the "extras" so how much does it actually end up costing?

I have never used a sub before.
jen 10:16 AM 02-09-2011
Hey, I'm in your area too...where did you find your sub?
JenNJ 10:18 AM 02-09-2011
I use my MIL and I pay her by the day or half day depending on how long I need her. It works out to be about $10 per hour.
jojosmommy 10:21 AM 02-09-2011
I was referred to her by another provider who uses her. Unfortunately there aren't many to come by around here.
jen 10:27 AM 02-09-2011
I have a daycare parent with odd hours, she said she'd do back up for me when needed if it fits her work schedule. I offered her $20/hour.
Abigail 12:26 PM 02-09-2011
Wow, Jen, I'll drive down to visit...I'm only half a day away. he he. That's good money, but my cost of living out here is MUCH less than where you're located.
AnythingsPossible 02:28 PM 02-09-2011
When I had a sub in the past, I would pay her $10.00/hour, or a $20.00 minimum if it was for just a short time. I try to not have a sub anymore, more try to plan appointments as late in the day as possible and then close early. I found out that she mainly sat on the couch and read while the kids ran wild around the house. She figured she was just there to make sure nothing major happened. I'm sure good help is out there, but when you only need them occasionally, it's kind of hard.
SandeeAR 04:57 PM 02-09-2011
I'm very lucky. I use my DD 29 y/o. I schedule ALL my dr appts around her time off. She won't let me pay her! She is a Pedicatric PT and makes much more than I do, so she refuses to let me pay her. I LOVE that girl!!!!
Abigail 07:16 PM 02-09-2011
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:
When I had a sub in the past, I would pay her $10.00/hour, or a $20.00 minimum if it was for just a short time. I try to not have a sub anymore, more try to plan appointments as late in the day as possible and then close early. I found out that she mainly sat on the couch and read while the kids ran wild around the house. She figured she was just there to make sure nothing major happened. I'm sure good help is out there, but when you only need them occasionally, it's kind of hard.
That deserves minimum wage. I would (if you have her again) have an activity planned and tell her how excited you are to see the finished product. Have an appointment early in the morning so when you return it's lunch and nap to enjoy some quiet time. LOL This will make her work. Not too difficult of a task though because you don't want to be stuck cleaning up a potential HUGE mess either. I would at least interview and have a few options available for the occasional need of a sub or else I would always feel alone. Ask for your potential subs to come out and give you a hand and see if they get down to the child's level or just stand there the whole time. That will help you find a better person.
55CMK83 07:26 PM 02-09-2011
Depending on qualifications, I pay my subs anywhere from $8.00 - $12.00 per hour. All my subs must be CPR/First Aid Certified and have done SIDS and Shaken Baby Syndrome certification (required in the state of MN).
jen 09:43 AM 02-10-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Wow, Jen, I'll drive down to visit...I'm only half a day away. he he. That's good money, but my cost of living out here is MUCH less than where you're located.
I'm from Moorhead! I was just up in your neck of the woods a couple of months ago!

Truthfully, that is way over the expected rate..BUT it's a daycare parent, so I feel like I need to pay her more. When my dd needs a ride to gymnastics I pay her $20 (one way) for that too!
jen 09:48 AM 02-10-2011
Originally Posted by 55CMK83:
Depending on qualifications, I pay my subs anywhere from $8.00 - $12.00 per hour. All my subs must be CPR/First Aid Certified and have done SIDS and Shaken Baby Syndrome certification (required in the state of MN).
Do you pay for your subs to take the necessary classes? My dcm is already certified for First Aid and CPR, but I always pay for classes when they aren't. I have now paid for two sets of classes for people who no longer sub for me...BOTH of my previous subs opened their own daycare. (SIDS & Shaken aren't expensive so I don't care about those so much...but the other stuff adds up!)

I wish there was a sub-pool like hubby has for teaching!
DCMom 10:40 AM 02-10-2011
When I had an assistant, I paid her $10/hour when I was here and $15/hour when I was not (which was not very often).

A sub that you use occasionally is not considered an employee but a sub-contractor, especially if she works for other providers; therefore no payroll taxes are involved, but if you pay her more than $600 in a year you would have to issue her a 1099-misc at the end of the year.

For an regular assistant, I would pay for classes. For an occasional sub, I would not.
Tags:substitute
Reply Up