Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Food Program Help
Sunshine74 10:14 PM 01-28-2014
Specifically New York state, but I will accept help from anyone.

Our center does not participate in the food program. I am not sure exactly why, but I feel like it has something to do with the fact that they probably didn't have it 30 years ago when they opened. I'd never even heard about it until I joined and started posting here. So, I have been trying to do research on it, and between that and reading about in on here I think I've got the basics.

But what I cannot figure out is how/where you sign up. I found this website that has the information, but I know I am missing something. http://www.health.ny.gov/prevention/nutrition/cacfp/

Also, does anyone know how lengthy the process is to fill out the forms to be reimbursed?

I am trying to find out as much information as I can before I present this to our director/owner. She will have a million questions so I want to be able to answer as many as I can.
crunchymama 05:03 AM 01-29-2014
You or the center director, will need to contact a local CACFP sponsoring agency. I'm not sure exactly where you are in ny so here are a few cacfp sponsors. Just give one a call and I'm sure they'd be happy to point you in the right direction. Also your local resource and referral agency would have info on your local cacfp sponsor.

The daily paperwork takes 5-15 minutes to complete and if you stay on top of it daily it isn't bad at all.

http://www.ccnny.org/cacfp-sponsor.php

http://www.capcjc.org/programs/jlcp/about-jefferson-lewis-childcare-project/

http://www.ccccnc.org/index.html
snbauser 06:56 AM 01-29-2014
I a in NC and here is what I learned when I opened a center for a short time. Since it's a federal program, not sure how much it varies from state to state. For a true center, the rules are much different than with family child care. In most cases you do not have a "sponsor" to go through and instead go directly through the federal program. As such, there aren't the frequent visits to make sure you are doing what you are supposed to. Instead there is typically an annual visit and if you are found to have violations they can make you pay back the entire years worth of reimbursements. You can go through a sponsor but they typically keep 15% of your reimbursements. In order to enroll on your own, you need to attend one of their 2 day workshops to get the packet and all the information. I know in order to attend one, my partner at the time had to travel about 2-3 hours away to take the class. Also, your reimbursement rate is different that family child care. Instead it is similar to the school systems. It is 3-tiered and all families either need to fill out the financial form or they automatically get the lowest reimbursment rate. You also have to have a certain % of your enrollment qualify financially in order for anyone to get reimbursed. I can't remember the % but I want to say it was more than 25%. That's the basic information as I remember it. It was a little over a year ago so not sure how much might have changed.
melilley 11:57 AM 01-29-2014
Originally Posted by snbauser:
I a in NC and here is what I learned when I opened a center for a short time. Since it's a federal program, not sure how much it varies from state to state. For a true center, the rules are much different than with family child care. In most cases you do not have a "sponsor" to go through and instead go directly through the federal program. As such, there aren't the frequent visits to make sure you are doing what you are supposed to. Instead there is typically an annual visit and if you are found to have violations they can make you pay back the entire years worth of reimbursements. You can go through a sponsor but they typically keep 15% of your reimbursements. In order to enroll on your own, you need to attend one of their 2 day workshops to get the packet and all the information. I know in order to attend one, my partner at the time had to travel about 2-3 hours away to take the class. Also, your reimbursement rate is different that family child care. Instead it is similar to the school systems. It is 3-tiered and all families either need to fill out the financial form or they automatically get the lowest reimbursment rate. You also have to have a certain % of your enrollment qualify financially in order for anyone to get reimbursed. I can't remember the % but I want to say it was more than 25%. That's the basic information as I remember it. It was a little over a year ago so not sure how much might have changed.

The rules are different for centers than for home dc's. They do only come annually and where I live only low income centers even qualify to be on the fp.
Sunshine74 06:18 PM 01-29-2014
Originally Posted by crunchymama:
You or the center director, will need to contact a local CACFP sponsoring agency. I'm not sure exactly where you are in ny so here are a few cacfp sponsors. Just give one a call and I'm sure they'd be happy to point you in the right direction. Also your local resource and referral agency would have info on your local cacfp sponsor.

The daily paperwork takes 5-15 minutes to complete and if you stay on top of it daily it isn't bad at all.

http://www.ccnny.org/cacfp-sponsor.php

http://www.capcjc.org/programs/jlcp/...dcare-project/

http://www.ccccnc.org/index.html
Thanks. The problem I am having is figuring out where to find a sponsor in my area. The first link was the most promising, but that was for family day care homes, not centers. I will keep searching.

Originally Posted by snbauser:
Do you know where to find the information for the federal program, to register? I have found information about it, but can't find a number or website to sign up. The workshops wouldn't be a problem, nor would the % to qualify.

Originally Posted by melilley:

The rules are different for centers than for home dc's. They do only come annually and where I live only low income centers even qualify to be on the fp.
I know that we would qualify as low income, as approximately 45% of our families receive some assistance.
Tags:food program, food program - new york
Reply Up