Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>A Little Overwhelmed!
sariejohnston 04:56 PM 07-08-2014
I have worked in Daycare off and on since 2006 I left working at a daycare in 2012 because there was a lot of issues with that daycare and I was completely burnt out. I then started working as a substitute teachers aide for Head start I absolutely loved that Job but since we were having a hard time finding full and part time work where we lived we decided to move. we are now in a new state and I currently just started working at a daycare this place is a lot different then any daycare I have ever worked at before! I am only part time at the moment but with this job I have a lot responsibilities I'm a little overwhelmed with how much there is to remember and do! For instance we cannot leave the children alone what so ever which every daycare is like that or should be, but they expect us to keep all 6 bulletin boards counting inside and outside our classroom up to date when the theme changes (every week or two weeks depends on the theme) and we follow a strict protocol where we have to make sure the classroom is clean, organized, put together at all times, and we have to make sure lesson plans are done for the following month almost a month ahead of time.. all at the same time of taking care of children... How is this possible!? I'm a little overwhelmed and I need some tips please!! if anyone has any ideas to share I would love to hear them.
Shell 05:33 PM 07-08-2014
I have worked at centers like this before, and it's all about appearances. I swear, the parents hardly ever noticed when the bulletin boards were changed- all they care about is that their children are learning (which they hear a about when they talk to their children and they like take home projects and crafts they can hang up at home). I think just like with anything else, you will get a routine, and this stuff will be second nature to you- you will just start to think in terms of what can go on bulletin boards, and you will set those aside. Same with curriculum, you will get into a groove with projects and activities. We also had to document skills kids were learning (fine motor, critical thinking, etc) AND take and put up pictures of the kids performing the activity. A bit over board imo. Good luck!
jenboo 05:37 PM 07-08-2014
I worked at a center like this as well but the kids brought their own food and we had to write their first and last name and date on every single thing they brought! For 24 kids!!!!!

The kids were at the bottom of the totem pole. It was sad. They ran wild while I tried to keep up on everything else. I will say that I completely walked out on that job. Left a resignation one day and that was it.

Sorry, no advice. Just letting you know it's becoming way more common these days
midaycare 05:53 PM 07-08-2014
That does sound overwhelming. I'm sure that as time goes on, as PP mentioned, you will get into a routine and the others, of course, will help out, too. I mean, working part time, you can't be expected to do all that yourself!
Laurel 07:04 PM 07-08-2014
Originally Posted by sariejohnston:
I have worked in Daycare off and on since 2006 I left working at a daycare in 2012 because there was a lot of issues with that daycare and I was completely burnt out. I then started working as a substitute teachers aide for Head start I absolutely loved that Job but since we were having a hard time finding full and part time work where we lived we decided to move. we are now in a new state and I currently just started working at a daycare this place is a lot different then any daycare I have ever worked at before! I am only part time at the moment but with this job I have a lot responsibilities I'm a little overwhelmed with how much there is to remember and do! For instance we cannot leave the children alone what so ever which every daycare is like that or should be, but they expect us to keep all 6 bulletin boards counting inside and outside our classroom up to date when the theme changes (every week or two weeks depends on the theme) and we follow a strict protocol where we have to make sure the classroom is clean, organized, put together at all times, and we have to make sure lesson plans are done for the following month almost a month ahead of time.. all at the same time of taking care of children... How is this possible!? I'm a little overwhelmed and I need some tips please!! if anyone has any ideas to share I would love to hear them.
Only one little tip. I once worked in a room where the teacher had too much to do. I thought the way she saved time on her bulletin board was cool. She kept parts of it the same but changed the details. She kept up teddy bears all year but in September the bears might be holding an apple, in October she might have masks on the bears for Halloween, in December winter hats and scarves, etc. She would add other things they were studying as well. I knew a third grade teacher who didn't vary her bulletin boards from year to year. After all, she had different children every year. When January came she just got out her January things, etc.

Laurel
cheerfuldom 06:34 AM 07-09-2014
I would ask your director or superior "when am I given the time to get this done?" ask your coworkers how they do this. The reality may be that people work outside daycare hours to fill these duties.
Play Care 07:15 AM 07-09-2014
Originally Posted by Laurel:
Only one little tip. I once worked in a room where the teacher had too much to do. I thought the way she saved time on her bulletin board was cool. She kept parts of it the same but changed the details. She kept up teddy bears all year but in September the bears might be holding an apple, in October she might have masks on the bears for Halloween, in December winter hats and scarves, etc. She would add other things they were studying as well. I knew a third grade teacher who didn't vary her bulletin boards from year to year. After all, she had different children every year. When January came she just got out her January things, etc.

Laurel
That is an awesome idea!! I only change mine seasonally but it's still too much at times - I was planning on kites for spring - never got around to it. Beach balls were for summer, but its still empty
sariejohnston 06:08 PM 07-10-2014
Thanks for all the feedback!
Tags:overwhelmed
Reply Up