Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Would You Do? Illness Question
Unregistered 06:59 AM 11-03-2016
I'm doubting myself.

I recently had a parent randomly show up in the middle of the day to take their child to the doctor. The child had a cough for about 4 days and the parent wanted to know if child was sick.
(I had absolutely no idea that the parent intended to take the child to the doctor until the child was walking out the door.)

I immediately told her that if she even had an inkling that child was contagious then the child should never have come to daycare that day at all. The parent shrugged it off and said she didn't think that child is contagious, but thought it was a non-contagious illness such as a sinus infection.

I'm conflicted. Would you be okay if a parent sent their child to daycare only to pick up half way through the day to go to the doctor for an illness? The logical side of me says that it's absolutely not okay. But the child didn't end up having anything more than a cold so the parent was technically right and no exclusion was ever necessary. Plus, I don't want to discourage parents from taking their kids to the doctor in fear that I might make them stay home for no reason
Baby Beluga 07:07 AM 11-03-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm doubting myself.

I recently had a parent randomly show up in the middle of the day to take their child to the doctor. The child had a cough for about 4 days and the parent wanted to know if child was sick.
(I had absolutely no idea that the parent intended to take the child to the doctor until the child was walking out the door.)

I immediately told her that if she even had an inkling that child was contagious then the child should never have come to daycare that day at all. The parent shrugged it off and said she didn't think that child is contagious, but thought it was a non-contagious illness such as a sinus infection.

I'm conflicted. Would you be okay if a parent sent their child to daycare only to pick up half way through the day to go to the doctor for an illness? The logical side of me says that it's absolutely not okay. But the child didn't end up having anything more than a cold so the parent was technically right and no exclusion was ever necessary. Plus, I don't want to discourage parents from taking their kids to the doctor in fear that I might make them stay home for no reason
I would be okay with it. Here I exclude for a deep, rattling and/or persistent cough. With that being said based on the child I would have sent home and requested a doc visit to rule out anything serious or contagious. There have been times where a child had a doctor diagnosed cold, the cough lingered and I requested a second visit to the doc. Sometimes the doc says "yep, just a dry non-productive cough that lingers (it happens) or sometimes a secondary infection has set in. Sometimes the parents will even beat me to it and schedule a second doc appointment to rule out a secondary infection.
Play Care 07:10 AM 11-03-2016
How was the child? Did they seem okay? Or were they hacking a lung and miserable?

I wouldn't have minded if the child was otherwise okay. If they had been miserable, I would mind (though I would have called for pick up in that case).
Blackcat31 07:17 AM 11-03-2016
I'm doubting myself.

I encourage all my parents to make Dr appointments in the latter half the day. They pick up early and bring them in. I don't allow them to return.

If it was for illness but was an illness that I didn't feel warranted exclusion, then no big deal. If it was a severe illness I'd have been excluding long before mom showed up so I guess I don't see what the issue really is here.

If the child WAS contagious/ill and the parent purposely covered it up or medicated to mask symptoms I'd definitely terminate care but honestly it boils down to honesty and trust.

If you think the mom is being untruthful, the relationship probably isn't positive anyways and if you do trust the parent...you just have to continue doing so unless you have reason not to anymore.

Either way, once you let resentment or contempt enter a relationship it's hard to get back on track.
Unregistered 07:26 AM 11-03-2016
Op here

Thank you for the input!!

Child was behaving fine. A typical cough, not alarming in any way. I was surprised she wanted a doc visit.

I think my frustration came from the fact that she thought the child was sick enough to go to the doctor but healthy enough to come to daycare up until going to the doctor.

Like I said, I'm so conflicted. i just want a healthy program and I'm trying to find a way to ensure that all my policies are fair and reasonable. I enjoy hearing other people's policies so I can tell when I'm being too strict, or too lenient
Unregistered 07:29 AM 11-03-2016
Also, I believed her when she said she didn't think it was contagious. I don't think she lied or manipulated. I think we just saw the situation differently.

It sounds like she was in the right here and I won't be requiring that parents keep kids out before doc appointments
Mad_Pistachio 07:45 AM 11-03-2016
I had something similar last summer. cough, not loud, barking, or even annoying, but going on for a week. at first, I though it was a cold (no fever, nose a little runny). then, it was like, stop already. a week later, I got fed up and took her to the doctor: walking pneumonia. no idea how long, and no other symptopms except for the cough.
had I known earlier, I'd take her. but this thing got sneaky.
I kept her home on the day of the appointment (scheduled same day), just because what's the point of even driving all the way there.
it's not always to trick the provider. we do really often think it will go away on its own.
Blackcat31 07:55 AM 11-03-2016
Op here

Child was behaving fine. A typical cough, not alarming in any way. I was surprised she wanted a doc visit.

I think my frustration came from the fact that she thought the child was sick enough to go to the doctor but healthy enough to come to daycare up until going to the doctor.

Like I said, I'm so conflicted. i just want a healthy program and I'm trying to find a way to ensure that all my policies are fair and reasonable. I enjoy hearing other people's policies so I can tell when I'm being too strict, or too lenient
I can absolutely see how that would make me feel a bit frustrated too. It's hard because in this business we do assume the worst or that a parent is covering something up.

Sadly the rare parent that tries to be proactive usually doesn't get the benefit of the doubt... I assume because it is so rare.

Glad you were able to set your mind at ease about this situation.
Leigh 07:56 AM 11-03-2016
I have such a hard time getting some parents to take their obviously ill kids to the doctor that I'd be THRILLED if they took their kids in without me threatening or pushing them!
daycarediva 09:13 AM 11-03-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I encourage all my parents to make Dr appointments in the latter half the day. They pick up early and bring them in. I don't allow them to return.

If it was for illness but was an illness that I didn't feel warranted exclusion, then no big deal. If it was a severe illness I'd have been excluding long before mom showed up so I guess I don't see what the issue really is here.

If the child WAS contagious/ill and the parent purposely covered it up or medicated to mask symptoms I'd definitely terminate care but honestly it boils down to honesty and trust.

If you think the mom is being untruthful, the relationship probably isn't positive anyways and if you do trust the parent...you just have to continue doing so unless you have reason not to anymore.

Either way, once you let resentment or contempt enter a relationship it's hard to get back on track.

Originally Posted by Leigh:
I have such a hard time getting some parents to take their obviously ill kids to the doctor that I'd be THRILLED if they took their kids in without me threatening or pushing them!
ABSOLUTELY!
Ariana 10:13 AM 11-03-2016
Op here

That bolded part is really not up to her to decide. You are in control of whether the kids comes to care or not. If she appeared fine and you didn't notice anything warranting a dr visit then mom didn't do anything wrong really, except be very proactive which is very rare!!
mommyneedsadayoff 10:17 AM 11-03-2016
I am such a skeptic! My first thought would be that she gave meds to reduce a fever and picked up before they wore off. The doc probably said it's a virus and not much you can do about it. I would be keeping an eye on this kid. Again, I am a SUPER skeptic, but to me, if the kid is sick enough to warrant a doc visit(disclaimer: I don't take my kids to the doc for minor illness), they are too sick to be in care. I would just be weary of symptoms that have been covered up or that she did not inform you of, but hopefully the child will be fine and all will be good.
renodeb 03:27 PM 11-14-2016
I would not have an issue if the child seemed other wise ok. Participating in the days activities etc.
Deb
Reply Up