Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Biting Baby in Daycare
Unregistered 08:35 AM 11-23-2017
So I have a 1 1/2 year old who has been with me since 12 months and a newer 1 1/2 year old who has been with me since 13 months. I believe there is some jealousy between babies. I am family licenced so I can only have two under two years (thank goodness , I can't cuddle more than that at once lol). Anyhow the newer toddler has turned to biting the other kids. We are up to 4 contact/left marks bites on mainly the other baby but the other day was an unsuspecting 3 year old. She watches to see if anyone is looking then goes in if someone is close by and from my observation seems to be unprovoked.I caught her in the act yesterday grabbing the other baby's shoulder and trying to bite hime then when I looked to see if she left a mark I noticed 3 other booger marks on his arms from attempted bites. They had only been here 2 hours at that point. She also leans into them for hugs and kisses so the other kids do not know what to expect.
With my dogs too , I have seen her do gentle pets then smack them on the head right after! One day at pick up she was unhappy that mother and I were talking and leant down to bite her mom on the arm and her mom caught it and did not allow it. Her mom said she did that once before. Now the other baby is quite anxious when he sees her and is now (never before) crying when he gets dropped off and running to be in my arms right away. So I comfort him right away as to say I am here for him. So my strategy thus far is , I right away show an exaggerated attention to the "victim" and have a playpen in the playroom and the one who hurt the other goes in for her 1 min time out which she just sits happily and I say NO BITING in my low mom voice. Now when she gets out of the playpen I take her to the child and get her to show me gentle hands. She also hits, pushes the other children and I do the same for those occurances however I am more concerned with correcting the biting. I let the other parents know whenever it happens and reassure them I am working to correct and protect their children.

Any fresh Ideas I can use on correcting the behavior and how to relieve the other parents?
Thanks
Ariana 10:12 AM 11-23-2017
There needs to be much more supervision for this child. She would basically become my shadow. It is the only thing that really works apart from seperating her from the group. Timeouts don’t work. Also try saying what you want her to do like “be gentle” or simply “stop”. Sometimes kids do not understand the negation of words. So no biting sounds like biting.

I am going through something similar with an agressive 2 yr old. I have to watch her like a hawk, continually intervene and tell her to be gentle and demonstrate correct behavior
storybookending 01:35 PM 11-23-2017
As BC once said to me on one of her posts you need to be this child’s shadow, not the other way around. You need to be next to this child at all times to “catch” them in the act before anything happens. I have to do this with my niece and boy is it exhausting but you need to protect the other children in your care.

ETA: I wouldn’t be telling parents about every little instance unless it’s leaving a mark
daycarediva 07:08 AM 11-24-2017
It's a supervision issue. Child is your shadow, put the child up (high chair or pack and play) when you cannot IMMEDIATELY intervene.

It is a LOT more work, but it's worth it if you can catch/break the behaviors.

as a parent, I would be really upset about the biting more than once. Biting happens, but now that you're aware the child bites- it's your responsibility to prevent it.
Unregistered 11:04 AM 11-24-2017
If a child in our center was doing that repeatedly, we would have a conference with the parents about ways to prevent this type of behavior.

We cannot legally put a child restricted environment such as a pack n play or high chair unless it is for rest or eating purposes. We would call for pickup immediately for the offending child.
Tags:biting
Reply Up