Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Food Program Rates Released
heyhun77 07:31 AM 07-20-2011
I received this from one of the local food programs. I'm glad to see that they are actually doing some increases vs. the penny increase last year.

New Reimbursement Rates Released!

Tier I
Breakfast $1.24
Lunch/Supper $2.32
Snack $.69

Tier II
Breakfast $.45
Lunch/Supper $1.40
Snack $.19
mom2many 07:53 AM 07-20-2011
That is great news!
daycare 03:05 PM 07-20-2011
well thats good to hear.. with the cost of food going up and everything else. I was on the fence about if I should continue providing food or not..

do you know when this new rate will start?
wdmmom 03:11 PM 07-20-2011
Is this for your state or is this a national rate?
Meeko 03:20 PM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Is this for your state or is this a national rate?
Utah is the same. I think it's national as the food program is a federal thing.

Yay! I'm tier one. Always love the extra cash as food seems to go up daily!
MyAngels 03:23 PM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
well thats good to hear.. with the cost of food going up and everything else. I was on the fence about if I should continue providing food or not..

do you know when this new rate will start?
I think they take effect July 1.
Meeko 03:24 PM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I think they take effect July 1.
Yes...as of July 1st.
meganlavonnesmommy 04:02 AM 07-22-2011
Ugh, that sucks! We're tier 2, so our increase was basically nothing!
I'd love to get $2.30 for a lunch!

For me the rate increases were a penny for breakfast and snack, and 6 cents for lunch. I guess its better than nothing.
heyhun77 04:49 AM 07-22-2011
Originally Posted by meganlavonnesmommy:
Ugh, that sucks! We're tier 2, so our increase was basically nothing!
I'd love to get $2.30 for a lunch!

For me the rate increases were a penny for breakfast and snack, and 6 cents for lunch. I guess its better than nothing.
Have you pushed for tier 1? If your family doesn't qualify (based on your income - and make sure they use your schedule c not parent statements on how much they pay you because that doesn't take into account your expenses) you can apply on a per-child basis meaning each family submits an application and if they qualify then you can get tier 1 for each of their children and tier 2 for the ones who don't qualify.

Worth looking into if you haven't already.
meganlavonnesmommy 06:27 AM 07-22-2011
Our food program said we were tier 2 based on the average income for our school zone. She said we could apply for an exception based on our income, but I never did. I looked at the income guidelines, and there was no way we were close, so I didnt bother. Only one of my parents would maybe qualify, so I didnt bother. With 6 kids in care, the difference would be about $250 a month. Would be nice, but we just dont qualify.

My issue is when they change the restrictions of what we can serve, then only raise the reimbursement by a penny. If I can only serve one serving of juice a day, that means one of my snacks per day I will have to serve a protein, fruit or veggie along with the other component. That will hugely increase my food costs, but I am only getting one penny more. Crazy!
Childminder 08:08 AM 07-22-2011
Regardless of what your reimbursement rate is, tier 1 or 2, you get to claim each meal at the tier 1 rate on your taxes.
Tags:food program
Reply Up