Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>If It Isn't One Thing...
thatdivalady 07:02 PM 11-01-2011
So before leasing this building, I talked with the municipality to verify what I had to do in order to run a daycare there. I was told I did not need an architect or building plans. I talked to them again just to clarify. They said the same thing. So I signed the lease.

Upon asking the inspector what I need for the UCC statement attached to the certificate of occupancy, guess what I was told I need...

An architect/design professional to draw up building plans...possible changes to adhere to other building codes (not that anyone can tell me what changes those are) and a contractor. Not to mention more money.

Seriously. I'm so irritated now because this throws all of my plans for a loop and on top of that is going to cost significantly more money and more time.

I just wanted to vent.
Kaddidle Care 07:07 PM 11-01-2011
Always get it in writing. Sorry you had to find out the hard way.
thatdivalady 07:15 PM 11-01-2011
You're so right. I definitely should have known better. Guess you live and learn.
SilverSabre25 07:58 PM 11-01-2011
Aw, I'm sorry that's happening. I hate trying to go through bureaucratic red tape, it's worse than trying to sail blind across eel infested waters, naked, in a metal trash can: something is bound to go wrong.

If it makes you feel any better, it has been almost an entire year of "one thing after another" for me.
thatdivalady 02:43 PM 11-02-2011
I definitely feel you Sabre. It's so annoying. And to top it off I am looking at an immense amount of money to get the building up to code for a daycare. Not to mention architectural building design plans cost around $8,000-$10,000...

I'm doing some thinking about some other possibilities. The architect stated that pre school requires less redesigning (sprinklers, etc.). So I'm hoping to figure something else out while saving the money to get the daycare stuff done. Maybe before and afterschool care or something like that.

Sorry to hear that you've had your share of the wonderful bureacratic tape!
CheekyChick 03:00 PM 11-02-2011
I'm sorry.
wdmmom 03:16 PM 11-02-2011
I would consider asking a lawyer if you can legally breach the contract based on information not disclosed at the time of signing.
Tags:lease
Reply Up