Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mealtime Tips For My OWN Child
MamaJ 03:36 AM 11-07-2011
I know a lot of my troubles are just her personality, and some are probably because I'm her mom (kids are always better behaved for someone else, right??).

I have one full-time DCG, about her same age, who sits at the table properly, doesn't play or throw her food, etc. Then there's my daughter. She's 2 1/2.

Unless I strap her down in her booster seat (which I've been doing for her safety), she is on her knees, standing, spinning around, laying on her belly on the table or way on her elbows...just won't sit still and eat. She is a very tactile person, and just can't resist seeing how that yogurt feels smeared on her arm, or what those noodles would do if she dropped them in her water. She's totally capable of using a regular cup vs. a sippy at the table, but she can't keep her hands out of it it, and won't sit still and spills it a lot.

any tips to get her to JUST SIT STILL and eat and not play with her food? Am I just spoiled by the other DCG who is a very "neat" eater and doesn't like to make messes and sits still? I'm tired of mealtime with her.

she's also very petite, like not even on the weight charts petite, so I have a hard time "taking her food away" if she's messing around. she NEEDS to eat.
SilverSabre25 05:13 AM 11-07-2011
1. She's 2.5, so some amount of squirreliness is to be expected--you probably are a bit spoiled by the other girl.

2. She sounds very like my DD at that age, and I'll promise you that it does get better, lol. My DD is 4 now and very capable of using an open cup without (usualy, lol) messing around in it.

3. Taking her food away, even temporarily, is not going to hurt her, although it may hurt your ears, lol. Remember that she's getting older and sometimes kids really don't require much food when they aren't busy growing, etc.

4. You could try giving her a lot more sensory play opportunities, since she is as you say, a very tactile child.

5. I also gave up and let me DD sit on her knees on the regular chair and it helped a lot with the messing around, might not work for you, but being able to tell her what she CAN do (sit on knees) instead of what she can't (lay on the table) might help.
grandmom 02:27 PM 11-07-2011
Long before 2 1/2 I'd expect a child to sit at the table in a chair until she's done eating. But I do empathize, my kids were always the worst.

Tell her once: If you stand up (etc.) you'll be done. Then as soon as she stands up, put her down, wash her hands, and put her plate away. After the tantrum subsides, ask if she'd like to come back. Thanks, I'm glad you decided to sit while you eat. If you do that again, you'll be excused.

Only once do I invite the child back after putting the plate away. After that, they wait till snack. Never had a child repeat it.

Good luck
Heidi 02:34 PM 11-07-2011
Originally Posted by grandmom:
Long before 2 1/2 I'd expect a child to sit at the table in a chair until she's done eating. But I do empathize, my kids were always the worst.

Tell her once: If you stand up (etc.) you'll be done. Then as soon as she stands up, put her down, wash her hands, and put her plate away. After the tantrum subsides, ask if she'd like to come back. Thanks, I'm glad you decided to sit while you eat. If you do that again, you'll be excused.

Only once do I invite the child back after putting the plate away. After that, they wait till snack. Never had a child repeat it.

Good luck
I agree. Even if she is petite, I am sure she gets plenty of opportunities to eat again. Don't let her use that as a weapon (in this case unknowingly).
youretooloud 03:40 PM 11-07-2011
By 2 1/2 I know kids can sit there and eat lunch without purposely making a mess. My kids sit at a child sized table, and by 15 months, they know to eat without messing with the food.

A mess is expected with little kids, but not putting yogurt on her arm.

I might give her a small amount of the messy foods, then a lot of the not so messy foods, then take the messy foods away when she starts playing with it.

I put yogurt in a tiny child's cup. (5 oz) with a child's spoon. It doesn't get all over that way, and they can sit back, hold the cup with one hand, and the spoon with the other. I do that with apple sauce too. It helps because I can take the cup away and they still have a plate full of food. It only takes a few times to realize they don't get to keep the yogurt or apple sauce if they are playing with it.

I bet she's doing it mostly because she's yours. If she were at someone else's house, her table manners would shine through just like you would hope. Our kids love to take advantage of us.
Tags:mealtime - behaviour, provider children, table manners
Reply Up