Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My Own Son Threw A Show For All The DCP'S
mrsp'slilpeeps 03:09 PM 11-14-2011
So my son just came home from school and proceeded to tell me tall tales about school. I knew he was fibing and I told him to go sit in his room and wait for me while the DCP's were picking up their kids.

Well he proceeded to slam his door not once but twice so hard that he knocked a picture off the wall. Right in front of the parents.

Have your own children done this too, and how did you deal with the embarassment?
sharlan 03:12 PM 11-14-2011
Originally Posted by mrsp'slilpeeps:
So my son just came home from school and proceeded to tell me tall tales about school. I knew he was fibing and I told him to go sit in his room and wait for me while the DCP's were picking up their kids.

Well he proceeded to slam his door not once but twice so hard that he knocked a picture off the wall. Right in front of the parents.

Have your own children done this too, and how did you deal with the embarassment?
Just smile and deal with it when the parents leave.
CheekyChick 03:16 PM 11-14-2011
You poor thing. LOL!!!

I would make light of it and say, aren't children adorable? Then I'd laugh (and hope they'd join me).
busymommy0420 03:18 PM 11-14-2011
They are parents too and I am sure understand. My daughter (2) is special needs and always cries when I talk to the parents. She needs my attention often and the parents know that she is just being silly. I think it is more my embarrassment then anything.
daycare 03:28 PM 11-14-2011
My son threw a massive tantrum one day trying to get my attention during pick up..

I had a parent once tell me "why does your child behave that way"?

I told her because he's 3 and he's human. Just because I am a provider and teacher does not mean my child is obsolete from behavioral issues. Im a provider, not god..... smile and said no more

She never asked me again and the complaints about my child stopped...

I said to another parent one time when something similar happened,

Well looks like hes having a bad day today, hopefully tomorrow will be a better day...

I tell all of the kids this when they have a bad day... Tomorrow is a new day, so we can try to do better again tomorrow.....
misspollywog 03:30 PM 11-14-2011
Ugh, poor you!! Thankfully mine are all young adults now and we're past that sort of stuff.

Tell him that he embarrassed himself, and you, in front of clients and he owes you and them an apology.

Next time he sees them, make sure he offers one and that he means it (or at least sounds like he does lol).

Your dcp's will respect the fact that in your dc, the children who act out, even your own, are made to take responsibility for their actions.
Crystal 03:35 PM 11-14-2011
Take his door off it's hinges. Tell him when he can behave better, he can have his door back.

I would NOT tolerate my children acting out in front of the parents EVER and they have always known that.......they are 20, 18 and 14 now and they have never behaved that way. The parents, whose children we care for, need to know that we are in control. If we cannot control our own child, imagine what they think happens when they aren't around with a whole group of children!

Seriously, I'd take his door.....
daycare 03:36 PM 11-14-2011
Originally Posted by misspollywog:
Ugh, poor you!! Thankfully mine are all young adults now and we're past that sort of stuff.

Tell him that he embarrassed himself, and you, in front of clients and he owes you and them an apology.

Next time he sees them, make sure he offers one and that he means it (or at least sounds like he does lol).

Your dcp's will respect the fact that in your dc, the children who act out, even your own, are made to take responsibility for their actions.
this is a great piece of advice too... If he is old enough to verbally apologize, the next time he sees the DCP he needs to apologize for his behavior...
daycare 03:37 PM 11-14-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Take his door off it's hinges. Tell him when he can behave better, he can have his door back.

I would NOT tolerate my children acting out in front of the parents EVER and they have always known that.......they are 20, 18 and 14 now and they have never behaved that way. The parents, whose children we care for, need to know that we are in control. If we cannot control our own child, imagine what they think happens when they aren't around with a whole group of children!

ohhh I like this too... Not matture/responsible enough to have a door, you don't get one.....
My Daycare 03:40 PM 11-14-2011

It works. I have done this in the past before daycare. If I had to do it now, I would have to buy a gate to keep the dck's out. If you can't take off the door for that reason than make your son pay for the gate.
AnneCordelia 03:44 PM 11-14-2011
My 8yo son decided to saunter down during pick-ups today in nothing but his boxers. I said, "You need to go put pants on please."

"but, I'm comfy. Why does daddy get to wear his undies around the house but I don't?"

I said, "Get upstairs NOW." and smiled at the parents.

For that one he got 3 chores from the chore bag (where i keep slips of paper with chores written on them). He had to clean his room, scrub a toilet and empty all the trashcans in the house for that smooth bit of backtalk.
misspollywog 03:46 PM 11-14-2011

Ha! We must have taken the same parenting class.

That door would be out in the barn with a warning that he would soon follow if he chose to act like that lol.
misspollywog 03:48 PM 11-14-2011
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
My 8yo son decided to saunter down during pick-ups today in nothing but his boxers. I said, "You need to go put pants on please."

"but, I'm comfy. Why does daddy get to wear his undies around the house but I don't?"

I said, "Get upstairs NOW." and smiled at the parents.

For that one he got 3 chores from the chore bag (where i keep slips of paper with chores written on them). He had to clean his room, scrub a toilet and empty all the trashcans in the house for that smooth bit of backtalk.

Cheeky boy!!
nannyde 04:17 PM 11-14-2011
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...highlight=weak

This is a good thread. See my post in it:
sharlan 04:29 PM 11-14-2011
Take his door off it's hinges. Tell him when he can behave better, he can have his door back. I would NOT tolerate my children acting out in front of the parents EVER and they have always known that.......they are 20, 18 and 14 now and they have never behaved that way. The parents, whose children we care for, need to know that we are in control. If we cannot control our own child, imagine what they think happens when they aren't around with a whole group of children!

My dd had a friend who's parents did that, worked great. Having 5 daughters, they were prone to slam doors until the parents started that.
sahm2three 05:53 PM 11-14-2011
Eeek. No. I am not sure if I just got lucky, but my kids would never dream of acting that way. The worst I get is the interrupting while I am talking to a daycare parent. We are working on that. I just make sure that I am teaching my kids respect, and if I don't get the respect I deserve, they will get a consequence. Be consistant and follow thru with your threats! Good luck!
countrymom 06:27 PM 11-14-2011
happens here too, I want to crawl into a hole of embarressement.
Meyou 02:45 AM 11-15-2011
OMG I swear I had no door for half of my teenage years. The memories!

My dd's are not allowed to come to the door when parents are here or interrupt if we're talking. If my 8 year old starts monkeying around (she loves to climb the walls for example) I quickly tell her to find something to do and give her the look.

I find it rude in general for children to interrupt adults so by enforcing that rule it helps enforce no being a dink in front of parents as well.
MarinaVanessa 11:52 AM 11-15-2011
My response to the parents would have been a sarcastic:
"Now I know why some animals eat their young" and then laughed it off.

Then I would have handled the situation with my child after they had all left. I tried the Nan method and I saw improvements right away. It still gets a little out of hand from time to time until I ask her to sit in the kitchen and wait for me. Once that happens she's good again for the next few weeks.

I do like Crystals idea too however I had planned to use that one once my kids were teen-agers.
caligirl 12:30 PM 11-15-2011
Originally Posted by mrsp'slilpeeps:

Oh yes. Many, many times. They are all grown up now, but when my youngest was a child, I had to actually send him up the street to my girlfriends house when I had an interview.
Tags:anger, misbehavior, provider - own child, provider children
Reply Up