Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Long Should I Wait For A Client Response Before Give Spot To Another Family?
Peaches 01:26 PM 02-14-2014
Ok, I am new and just starting my daycare. currently I'm only offering one spot while I finish my licensing process. So I had 2 interviews this week for that one spot. The first family I interviewed is very interested and emailed me yesturday stating they want to proceed with me.

The second interview I had last night, and I told them to let me know either way by today, no later than 5pm, as I've delayed responses to other interested families so I could meet family 2. So far, I haven't heard anything from family 2. I know there are two hours left before the deadline, so they still may respond. But if not, what is protocol? how long of a waiting period should I give. I don't want to keep family 1 waiting to long.

Both families seem great and would be a nice fit. I just want to make sure I am being respectful to both families. Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated on how to proceed.
Blackcat31 01:29 PM 02-14-2014
First family that fills out the paperwork completely and pays for the first two weeks gets the space.

Money talks.

I've had tons of parents tell me they were interested and that's great but I don't hold anything for anyone without pay.

If you really feel the first family IS going to sign on, I would contact them and hurry the process along a bit.

I wouldn't hold any space though just on words.
Blackcat31 01:30 PM 02-14-2014
Originally Posted by CherylH:
Ok, I am new and just starting my daycare. currently I'm only offering one spot while I finish my licensing process. So I had 2 interviews this week for that one spot. The first family I interviewed is very interested and emailed me yesturday stating they want to proceed with me.

The second interview I had last night, and I told them to let me know either way by today, no later than 5pm, as I've delayed responses to other interested families so I could meet family 2. So far, I haven't heard anything from family 2. I know there are two hours left before the deadline, so they still may respond. But if not, what is protocol? how long of a waiting period should I give. I don't want to keep family 1 waiting to long.

Both families seem great and would be a nice fit. I just want to make sure I am being respectful to both families. Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated on how to proceed.
Oh, and welcome to the forum from one Minnesotan to another!
AnneCordelia 01:34 PM 02-14-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
First family that fills out the paperwork completely and pays for the first two weeks gets the space.

Money talks.

I've had tons of parents tell me they were interested and that's great but I don't hold anything for anyone without pay.

If you really feel the first family IS going to sign on, I would contact them and hurry the process along a bit.

Yes! If you like family1 and they are willing to pay then sign them up!!!! I always tell the other families "I enjoyed meeting with you. However the available spot has now been filled. Thank you for your interest and good luck with your search."

Done!
TwinKristi 01:38 PM 02-14-2014
Yep! First one to sign on the dotted line and brings a check gets the spot. If the 2nd family comes back before 5pm and both want to sign up today let them know the spot has been filled but you can let them know when your license is completed and see if they're still interested.
Congrats to a great start!!
snbauser 03:08 PM 02-14-2014
I agree with the others, first come, first served. I would contact first one since they said they wanted the spot and tell them you have someone else interested in the spot and give them a VERY short deadline to return the enrollment application and their deposit- like maybe Sat or Sun. I tell mine at the interview that I do not stop advertising or interviewing until I have at a minimum their enrollment application and non-refundable deposit.
DaisyMamma 12:13 PM 02-17-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Money talks.

Exactly.
daycare 01:47 PM 02-17-2014
If family 1 seems like the best fit, then sign them up. If you have any hesitations about family 1 and family 2 seems better, then call family 2 tonight and just flat out ask them if they would like to proceed with moving forward.

as others said, firsts to fill out papers and $$ gets the spot.
Tags:filling enrollment, first come first serve, holding spot, holding spot - fee
Reply Up