Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>9/11
kelsey's kids 09:20 PM 09-10-2013
Are any of you doing anything special with daycare kids for 9/11? If so what are your plans?
Unregistered 05:28 AM 09-11-2013
I wouldn't call it a "special" day. Since thousands of people died. My group is way to young to understand. Oldest is 3.5 I do plan to have a moment of silence, but I won't tell the children why.
MamaBearCanada 06:00 AM 09-11-2013
No. My kids are 3 and under so I feel they are too young. I will have a minute of silence & be praying through the day for the families of those involved & peace for all of us.
Brooksie 06:10 AM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I wouldn't call it a "special" day. Since thousands of people died. My group is way to young to understand. Oldest is 3.5 I do plan to have a moment of silence, but I won't tell the children why.
She didn't call it a "special day" She said do anything special, like in honor of/specific to the tragedy of 9-11 and in the memory of those that died.

All of my kids are under 3 and they're too young to understand.
lovemylife 06:21 AM 09-11-2013
My daycare kids are too young to understand. I think it would just scare them. I very briefly explained it to my 5 year old this morning, I am assuming it will come up today at school and I wanted to be the one to talk to her about it. We will make a flag today during craft time.
Blackcat31 06:32 AM 09-11-2013
My DCK's are all too young to understand too. I also think this is a topic/subject that should be taught by parents when kids are this age.
SilverSabre25 06:34 AM 09-11-2013
I'm avoiding even mentioning it to my first grader. She's sensitive, and only 5.5, so she doesn't need to know. Not yet.
kelsey's kids 08:14 AM 09-11-2013
I was planning on a making a flags for craft and possibly a field trip to the field of flags. Every year our town puts out a flag for each person last that day in a field. It is an amazing sight
Willow 08:36 AM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My DCK's are all too young to understand too. I also think this is a topic/subject that should be taught by parents when kids are this age.

littlemissmuffet 08:41 AM 09-11-2013
This is an issue that parents should be talking to their children about (if a child is even affected). I personally believe it was an inside job - so think about this... if children old enough to understand that thousands of people died in the towers on 9/11 and started asking me questions about it, my answers likely wouldn't be in sync with (or acceptable with) what parents would want their children to think.

Topics like this, death, religion, sex, should be dealt with by parents, not daycare providers - imo.
MotherNature 08:49 AM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:

Topics like this, death, religion, sex, should be dealt with by parents, not daycare providers - imo.
I agree.
Death might come up if a pet dies, but terrorism goes way over a little kid's head. Kids will just start asking more & more questions..why?why? etc... and then you've crossed your boundaries..
Brooksie 08:56 AM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by MotherNature:
I agree.
Death might come up if a pet dies, but terrorism goes way over a little kid's head. Kids will just start asking more & more questions..why?why? etc... and then you've crossed your boundaries..
Exactly. Its not our place.
lovemylife 09:04 AM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by MotherNature:
I agree.
Completely agree! I only told my daughter that 12 years ago today some not so nice people were mean to some nice people. So at school you will have to be quiet and not talk for a few minutes. I'm afraid she will come home and have heard something from teachers or older kids what had happened in more detail.
Meeko 09:08 AM 09-11-2013
None of my daycare kids were alive and most of their parents were in junior high 12 years ago.. This isn't a holiday......so I am not even going to mention it. However I think it's important for parents to talk to their kids if there are questions. It's part of our history.

As for me personally.......NEVER FORGET.
Play Care 09:13 AM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

kelsey's kids 09:21 AM 09-11-2013
Just to clarify in no way was I planning on talking to the kids about that day. I wondering if you worked anything a little more patriotic than normal into your curriculum or similar. The children in daycare are far to young to understand what took place and their little minds shouldn't even be bothered with the knowledge until they are older.
Crazy8 09:26 AM 09-11-2013
no, we aren't doing anything. One year I did a 9/11 coloring page, but they were clueless as to WHY we did it. I think parents thought it was strange, so I just haven't done anything since.
My3cents 10:44 AM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
lol.......... I read this to say a movement of silence and was making the dorkiest face at the screen.........lol. I am thinking three year old's are honoring 9-11 with movement how appropriate .....just a duh moment on my part...... made me chuckle in light of the sadness-

Blessings to all those that were directly and indirectly effected by this day. I know I will never forget
My3cents 10:47 AM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
This is an issue that parents should be talking to their children about (if a child is even affected). I personally believe it was an inside job - so think about this... if children old enough to understand that thousands of people died in the towers on 9/11 and started asking me questions about it, my answers likely wouldn't be in sync with (or acceptable with) what parents would want their children to think.

going off topic but would love to hear more of your views on this. I find diversity interesting~
Tags:911
Reply Up