Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cant We all Just get Along??
Mister Sir Husband 08:01 AM 03-01-2014
Why YES.. we actually can. I have been on this forum for a few months now, and I would like to applaud and thank everyone on here. It is common knowledge that the written word can be interpreted far differently than the same thing said in person. With this thought in mind, I have commented on, and read others comments on various threads here.. and honestly some of the things said here could easily be taken as argumentative and somewhat rude (in some cases).

All of the providers on this site seem to understand this and although some of these discussions could easily turn into a big disrespectful exchange of rudeness towards each other...this isn't happening. I am very impressed that all of us can feel free to voice our thoughts and opinions on here and everything seems to go along just fine. I have seen on other forums, instances where someone will contradict what another has said and it turns into a volley of mud throwing rather quickly. This doesn't happen here (that I have seen) and I am happy for it.
KidGrind 08:10 AM 03-01-2014
I agree. It seems that most respect others' opinions. If they disagree they keep the interaction respectful.

Only once did I get (my interpretation of) a rude response. I laughed and kept it moving. I learn a lot from many of the members here.
Mister Sir Husband 08:17 AM 03-01-2014
Originally Posted by KidGrind:
I agree. It seems that most respect others' opinions. If they disagree they keep the interaction respectful.

Only once did I get (my interpretation of) a rude response. I laughed and kept it moving. I learn a lot from many of the members here.
I have learned quite a bit myself.. and find it refreshing that if I read something on here that I don't agree with, I can chime in and give my opinion without any worry that I am going to overly upset anyone.
melskids 09:20 AM 03-01-2014
I know sometimes it can happen, depending on the cycles of the moon. LOL

I took a break for a while from this forum because of it, but since I've been posting again here and there, it seems to have chilled a bit.
TwinKristi 09:26 AM 03-01-2014
I agree! I was pretty active in another forum similar to this but for cloth diapering and holllllllly cow things got crazy from time to time!! The things people think are just insane. Part of it comes from the concept that everyone everywhere must be just like them and couldn't possibly be different. Like stuck in their own little small town forever. I really did learn a lot over the years, like how some people don't recycle or some people sleep with guns next to their bed Sometimes I feel like CA is another country altogether because we're so different than other states. Kinda like Hawaii. LOL

Anyway, I must say we do have a great group of mature people here!
Blackcat31 09:38 AM 03-01-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
I agree! I was pretty active in another forum similar to this but for cloth diapering and holllllllly cow things got crazy from time to time!! The things people think are just insane. Part of it comes from the concept that everyone everywhere must be just like them and couldn't possibly be different. Like stuck in their own little small town forever. I really did learn a lot over the years, like how some people don't recycle or some people sleep with guns next to their bed Sometimes I feel like CA is another country altogether because we're so different than other states. Kinda like Hawaii. LOL

Anyway, I must say we do have a great group of mature people here!
It is human nature to assume that others live like you. I can't imagine NOT having a gun. I couldn't imagine not having winter. I could imagine having a water shortage. That is so foreign to me.

I think the key to getting along for posters on a forum that has TONS of different people is to do two things....

ASK for clarification if you aren't sure of what a poster is saying

and

ALWAYS keep an open mind

I have been on forums for several years now and the atmosphere is similar on most of them but the BIGGEST thing I have learned is that I DO learn something new every day.

THAT is important, I think, for not only people you work/live with, but for people in a community, a state, a country, a continent and as humans beings in general if we want to continue to adapt and change to the changing world/society.
cheerfuldom 12:07 PM 03-01-2014
I agree. this group has been down right delightful lately Unfortunately, a lot of the time it is a few select members plus some random trolls that stir up trouble and as this type has been missing here recently, I have been a lot more active as well. Nice to come here and see some healthy, adult conversation.
daycarediva 03:47 PM 03-01-2014
I deal with children all day, I do not want to deal with adults who act like children.

That's why I love this forum. Everyone has been nothing but respectful and helpful to me.

If I have said anything that offended anyone, I apologize. I never intend to be rude or hurtful.
Michelle 04:04 PM 03-01-2014
I agree and i second that
if i offended anyone, made someone mad, or anything, i totally apologize too
Laurel 04:22 PM 03-01-2014
Originally Posted by Mister Sir Husband:
Why YES.. we actually can. I have been on this forum for a few months now, and I would like to applaud and thank everyone on here. It is common knowledge that the written word can be interpreted far differently than the same thing said in person. With this thought in mind, I have commented on, and read others comments on various threads here.. and honestly some of the things said here could easily be taken as argumentative and somewhat rude (in some cases).

All of the providers on this site seem to understand this and although some of these discussions could easily turn into a big disrespectful exchange of rudeness towards each other...this isn't happening. I am very impressed that all of us can feel free to voice our thoughts and opinions on here and everything seems to go along just fine. I have seen on other forums, instances where someone will contradict what another has said and it turns into a volley of mud throwing rather quickly. This doesn't happen here (that I have seen) and I am happy for it.

Laurel
Josiegirl 06:16 PM 03-01-2014
I came here, looking for insightful advice, new ideas, support, wisdom, and information. I have found all of that plus more. I've been on a couple other forums where it gets heated and stirs up emotions quite often. While it can be downright entertaining at times, it's usually not something I like to participate in. This place, for the most part, is filled with helpful, kind and friendly people.
It's my go-to site now.
Josiegirl 06:17 PM 03-01-2014
Or could it be that daycare providers are all pretty dang sweet people to be around??
Laurel 09:07 PM 03-01-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Or could it be that daycare providers are all pretty dang sweet people to be around??
I'm sure it's that!
Cradle2crayons 07:15 AM 03-02-2014
Originally Posted by Mister Sir Husband:
I have learned quite a bit myself.. and find it refreshing that if I read something on here that I don't agree with, I can chime in and give my opinion without any worry that I am going to overly upset anyone.
sometimes I do overly upset someone. I think it takes time to sort of "interpret" how people talk.

For instance, most here already know I'm a gun slinging redneck who runs a military type household. Most know sometimes I use language and phrases hat some don't understand how to interpret and sometimes people get the wrong idea. I was born and raised and now raising my own kids surrounded by hundreds of acres of woods. We were raised as gun slinging little rednecks. And we may be rednecks, but we love fiercely and those around us learn that about us. Sometimes you have to get past the written word of us to get it though

It doesn't help my iPad type he instead of the and ear instead of here and hear

But regardless, it IS very easy to misunderstand and misinterpret written communication. Even as adults and professionals it's very simple.

There should be some sort of disclaimer maybe I should describe myself better on my profile hahaha!!!!!
Cradle2crayons 07:24 AM 03-02-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
It is human nature to assume that others live like you. I can't imagine NOT having a gun. I couldn't imagine not having winter. I could imagine having a water shortage. That is so foreign to me.

I think the key to getting along for posters on a forum that has TONS of different people is to do two things....

ASK for clarification if you aren't sure of what a poster is saying

and

ALWAYS keep an open mind

I have been on forums for several years now and the atmosphere is similar on most of them but the BIGGEST thing I have learned is that I DO learn something new every day.

THAT is important, I think, for not only people you work/live with, but for people in a community, a state, a country, a continent and as humans beings in general if we want to continue to adapt and change to the changing world/society.
Very good advice. And I agree. Everyone here comes from different areas where things normal to them seem foreign to others.

I couldn't imagine life without tornadoes and hurricanes and constant power outages... Winters are killer and so are summers... Water rations... Droughts... Floods...

Some of us life very different lifestyles. Either because it's our choice or because we have to.

For instance, my husband and I have been married 12 years. 8 if that he's worked offshore. He may be home a month or he may be gone for months. I have one friend whose husband started this career with my husband and he doesn't do it anymore because she couldn't adapt to life being married but without her husband. It's a very different lifestyle and very hard to explain to those who don't live it.

Some people here come from countries with very different cultures than here. Sometimes I think where and how I was raised is a totally different country than others here.

But in the end, we all have a lot of the same struggles and it's great to have somewhere to go learn, talk to other adults, and get out our frustrations.

I never come here and NOT learn something.
Naptime yet? 07:33 AM 03-02-2014
Hear, hear! This forum is great because we can lean from each other and take those bits & pieces that work for us individually & apply to our situations. Being new to this business & somewhat naive, this forum has been a godsend.

Now if I told everyone I locked my kids in the dog crate when they drove me crazy...well, yeah, I would expect outrage....

Plus we can't all be yes-men, where's the fun in that?
Cradle2crayons 07:45 AM 03-02-2014
Originally Posted by Naptime yet?:
Hear, hear! This forum is great because we can lean from each other and take those bits & pieces that work for us individually & apply to our situations. Being new to this business & somewhat naive, this forum has been a godsend.

Now if I told everyone I locked my kids in the dog crate when they drove me crazy...well, yeah, I would expect outrage....

Plus we can't all be yes-men, where's the fun in that?
I have a funny story and pictures to go along with kids being in dog crates... But now I don't think I want to share haha
Josiegirl 09:18 AM 03-02-2014
Haha my toddlers are always climbing into the dog crate, they bring in stacks of books and love it.
Josiegirl 09:20 AM 03-02-2014

It could work if they were sound proofed too.
Reply Up