Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Junk Food Lunches
Unregistered 10:40 AM 09-11-2015
I am a licensed Family Child Care Provider. When I make lunches I have to follow a strict guideline for nutrition. I have a very stubborn and picky 4 year old eater here who refused to try anything. Basically lives off of toast, juice, cracker, pretzels, etc. The mother has chosen to start sending this childs lunch with him so "he can get used to taking his own lunch to school". Todays packed lunch consisted of Applesauce, apple juice, pretzels and popcorn. other days there may be a nutella and pretzel snack pack in there. And this is coming from a very well educated woman who actually works in social services and knows the rules in the child care field. Do you feel the kid this type of meal?
permanentvacation 10:45 AM 09-11-2015
I am also on the food program and provide the meals. I tell my parents that because of that fact, they are not allowed to bring any food or drink into my daycare unless there is a medical need for which I would need a doctor's note.

I wouldn't allow that mother to bring any food or drink into your daycare.
Josiegirl 10:47 AM 09-11-2015
I know I've occasionally had dcks bring in a lunchbox because they only had half a day of school, or something like that. I'm amazed at some of the stuff they bring to school for lunch. I remember a dcb brought pepperoni once, I haven't served pepperoni in probably 8 years. Another dck(diabetic at that) had chips, bread and butter. Some kids seem to bring nothing more than a continuous supply of fruit snacks, cracker packs, chips and juices. If lucky, they might get an apple.
Unregistered 11:00 AM 09-11-2015
I am not in the program here that reimburses me for food. I simply didnt want to go through the hassle of getting into that program, so I am really not at liberty to deny the parent a home packed lunch. Today, I let him have his applesauce and apple juice but made him a turkey and cheese wrap and potato soup (which i refer to as french fry soup). He wouldnt touch it. I was able to get him to take the smallest little nibble to try the wrap..."he dont like it", got a little sip of the soup..."he dont like it". This is an every day battle. Before mom started bringing the lunch box, I actually had him trying new things. This lunch box has set us WAY back! I think because he knows that mom send a lunch.
KIDZRMYBIZ 11:03 AM 09-11-2015
As PermanentVacation does, I tell my DCFs the same thing. No outside food or drink except for a birthday or last-day treat to be shared by everyone (those are served as a dessert after lunch and does not interfere with my claiming).

I have found we have to be very careful what we say to the DCMs and DCDs without sounding judgmental, even when it is glaringly obvious that they are falling pretty short of healthy parenting. And usually they don't want to hear about it complicating things for ourselves either (extra prep, fighting between the DCKs cuz someone has something "better," outrageous behavior by DCK overloaded on sugar and carbs) because they do, after all, pay us massive amounts of money every week.

My advice would be to tell your DCM that your case worker stopped by today, and explained that it actually isn't allowed. I would say something like: I know you prefer to bring DCKs food, but it is against the CACFP regulations. Violating those regulations, especially after a warning, puts my program in jeopardy of permanently losing this benefit. But you have to admit that having your child in a state regulated environment is a comfort!

Then take Black Cat's advice on picky eaters. It is spot on!!!
daycarediva 11:06 AM 09-11-2015
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
As PermanentVacation does, I tell my DCFs the same thing. No outside food or drink except for a birthday or last-day treat to be shared by everyone (those are served as a dessert after lunch and does not interfere with my claiming).

I have found we have to be very careful what we say to the DCMs and DCDs without sounding judgmental, even when it is glaringly obvious that they are falling pretty short of healthy parenting. And usually they don't want to hear about it complicating things for ourselves either (extra prep, fighting between the DCKs cuz someone has something "better," outrageous behavior by DCK overloaded on sugar and carbs) because they do, after all, pay us massive amounts of money every week.

My advice would be to tell your DCM that your case worker stopped by today, and explained that it actually isn't allowed. I would say something like: I know you prefer to bring DCKs food, but it is against the CACFP regulations. Violating those regulations, especially after a warning, puts my program in jeopardy of permanently losing this benefit. But you have to admit that having your child in a state regulated environment is a comfort!

Then take Black Cat's advice on picky eaters. It is spot on!!!

KIDZRMYBIZ 11:10 AM 09-11-2015
OP's post came in while I was typing mine. Never mind then, if you don't have CACFP to pretend police you.

I suppose then that your only option is to either:

A. Try to educate DCM and see if she packs something healthier/more balanced.

B. Just have DCK eat what DCM packs and bite your tongue.

C. Ditch most of DCMs junk food and serve a little of it with your own healthier options and hope DCK develops a palette for healthier food!
Unregistered 11:16 AM 09-11-2015
I know you will all flip out on me, but here it goes!
I know a bit about nutrition and what is best but as a parent I would much rather my child eat something they enjoy even if its considered junk food than barely eat something or not at all of a healthy item. While I understand you want the children to eat healthy as a mom I would rather know my child is eating something even if its day 65 of the same pb&J lunch sandwich. I am all for providers wanting to offer healthy alternatives but I find there is alot of parent bashing regarding parental choices. Not everyone eats healthy foods, some by choice some by need.
KIDZRMYBIZ 11:53 AM 09-11-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I know a bit about nutrition and what is best but as a parent I would much rather my child eat something they enjoy even if its considered junk food than barely eat something or not at all of a healthy item. While I understand you want the children to eat healthy as a mom I would rather know my child is eating something even if its day 65 of the same pb&J lunch sandwich. I am all for providers wanting to offer healthy alternatives but I find there is alot of parent bashing regarding parental choices. Not everyone eats healthy foods, some by choice some by need.
From the provider's side, the issue is more of the consequences of the poor diet. The diet the OP describes is all sugar and carbs (which the body converts to sugar). That kid is probably bouncing off the walls, a terrible napper, and I'd bet has digestive issues to boot!

And from the provider's perspective, think of the other DCKs pouting because instead of popcorn/juice/chocolate they get chicken breast/carrots and peas/dinner roll/white milk. I hear a loud chorus of NOT FAIRs!

OP's DCM could pack 1 protein, ONE grain (ONE!), 1 veg, ONE fruit (ONE!), and white milk. There are plenty of options in each category that I'm sure she could find at least a few that appeal to her child's palette.

Yep, good parenting IS hard. Teaching kids to be healthy (and learn to like it) IS hard. But they are worth it!
Unregistered 12:00 PM 09-11-2015
so I am really not at liberty to deny the parent a home packed lunch.
It's your program. That means YOUR rules.
I would require a well balance healthy meal be sent. If that does not happen, then serve what you made the others and if the child choose to not eat, so be it. I would charge the parent for the additional cost of providing a substitute meal each time a sub-par lunch is sent with the child. I would never agree to provide care to a child if either myself or the parents were not offering a well balanced, healthy meal. If they want to live on junk food outside of care, that is on them.
Unregistered 12:50 PM 09-11-2015
Honestly I don't care if the dck's eat or not. I provide the food, they eat or go hungry. I don't give reports to parents because then they start bringing unhealthy snacks at pick up, which just gets under my skin. (If the parents ask I tell them) The child won't starve themselves. It's their choice. I don't allow any outside food or drink unless its a birthday and then the parents ask. If they have a special diet, allergy, then I provide the parents with the food programs requirements.
Btw I'm not on the food program but I'm required to use their guidelines.
Thriftylady 12:56 PM 09-11-2015
I only allow food and drinks to be brought from home if the child is on a special diet that a doctor will write a diagnosis for. I had one vegetarian mom interview and I was going to try to offer a vegetarian menu the two days a week her DD would be here if she signed up. But that is because I thought it would be good for us, and it would still have met nutritional guidelines.
littletots 01:16 PM 09-11-2015
I also can't allow dcp to provide food. But totally sounds like what my dd would like in her lunch. Dcm needs practice packaging lunch for sure. Dd school rules sugar can't be in 1st three ingredients of food item.
jenboo 01:24 PM 09-11-2015
I am not in the program here that reimburses me for food. I simply didnt want to go through the hassle of getting into that program, so I am really not at liberty to deny the parent a home packed lunch. Today, I let him have his applesauce and apple juice but made him a turkey and cheese wrap and potato soup (which i refer to as french fry soup). He wouldnt touch it. I was able to get him to take the smallest little nibble to try the wrap..."he dont like it", got a little sip of the soup..."he dont like it". This is an every day battle. Before mom started bringing the lunch box, I actually had him trying new things. This lunch box has set us WAY back! I think because he knows that mom send a lunch.
Is this not your business? You can make a rule that says no food from home. Why wouldn't you be able to do that?
mommiebookworm 01:50 PM 09-11-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Is this not your business? You can make a rule that says no food from home. Why wouldn't you be able to do that?

284878 01:04 PM 09-12-2015
From the provider's side, the issue is more of the consequences of the poor diet. The diet the OP describes is all sugar and carbs (which the body converts to sugar). That kid is probably bouncing off the walls, a terrible napper, and I'd bet has digestive issues to boot!

And from the provider's perspective, think of the other DCKs pouting because instead of popcorn/juice/chocolate they get chicken breast/carrots and peas/dinner roll/white milk. I hear a loud chorus of NOT FAIRs!

OP's DCM could pack 1 protein, ONE grain (ONE!), 1 veg, ONE fruit (ONE!), and white milk. There are plenty of options in each category that I'm sure she could find at least a few that appeal to her child's palette.

Yep, good parenting IS hard. Teaching kids to be healthy (and learn to like it) IS hard. But they are worth it!
Yes this op, allow the lunch but require a healthy lunch. I had it in my handbook that cold lunches must be healthy, containing ......

Or you could serve him his lunch, let him choose which grain he wants but instead of tossing one give at snack or send it home. Sending home will give you a chance to say that you requrie all cold lunches to be balanced., so you are sending home the extra grain.
Febby 01:48 PM 09-12-2015
My state's regs has guidelines for the children's meals. Even if the parents provide the lunch, it still must meet regs. If it doesn't, the provider is required to supplement the provided lunch with whatever is needed to make it in compliance (usually by adding fruits/veggies). Does your state say anything similar?

Even if it doesn't, it wouldn't be unreasonable to either a) tell her that she can no longer provide the lunch because [insert reason] (You could always claim another child has a food allergy and you're no longer comfortable with outside food being brought in) or b) require the lunch to be consistent with USDA meal pattern guidelines.
Preschool/daycare teacher 02:02 PM 09-12-2015
Since you are not on the food program and children can bring in outside food, could you tell the child's mom that that's fine if she wants to send him a lunch, but that it needs to contain 1 protein, one grain, 1 vegetable, 1 fruit, and white milk? You could even give her a list of sample foods for under each category so there is no misunderstanding on what you mean. I don't know about your state licensing laws, but in my state, licensed daycares are required to provide foods meeting the USDA guidelines. So if that is a law in your state, you may be able to explain that because of licensing, you need to make sure the child is getting food that meet those guidelines.
daycare 02:20 PM 09-12-2015
Originally Posted by 284878:
Yes this op, allow the lunch but require a healthy lunch. I had it in my handbook that cold lunches must be healthy, containing ......

Or you could serve him his lunch, let him choose which grain he wants but instead of tossing one give at snack or send it home. Sending home will give you a chance to say that you requrie all cold lunches to be balanced., so you are sending home the extra grain.
one persons definition of healthy may not be the same as yours.

I would cut off the food from home.

I have a kid here who goes all day long without eating every day when here. I don't worry about it. He is well behaved and is not regressing in anyway.

the kid will only eat junk and he is smart enough to figure out that if he waits until pic up mom or dad will being him chip and candy to eat in the car ride on the way home. I don't care, not my child and not on my time so do as you wish.

they tired the let me bring in food and i said no way. My food or please provide me with your notice of termination.

i can't force the child to eat, I can offer the food and they decide if they eat it or not. I am doing my job, offer the food.

No way would I let a parent bring junk food for their kid to eat on my time... So that I can deal with sugar bouncing and bad behavior. after all, you are what you eat. AND this will be the kid that gets everyone sick all the time too. Kids who eat unhealthy ARE unhealthy. No thanks.

Health starts with what we put into our bodies.

If you don't like the way someone is getting something done, then you have to do it yourself.

Hopefully you can find a way out of this.
Thriftylady 03:38 PM 09-12-2015
You can certainly make a no food from home rule without being on the food program. It is your business, YOU get to make the rules as long as you are not breaking any childcare rules in your state.
284878 06:36 AM 09-13-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
one persons definition of healthy may not be the same as yours.

I would cut off the food from home.

I have a kid here who goes all day long without eating every day when here. I don't worry about it. He is well behaved and is not regressing in anyway.

the kid will only eat junk and he is smart enough to figure out that if he waits until pic up mom or dad will being him chip and candy to eat in the car ride on the way home. I don't care, not my child and not on my time so do as you wish.

they tired the let me bring in food and i said no way. My food or please provide me with your notice of termination.

i can't force the child to eat, I can offer the food and they decide if they eat it or not. I am doing my job, offer the food.

No way would I let a parent bring junk food for their kid to eat on my time... So that I can deal with sugar bouncing and bad behavior. after all, you are what you eat. AND this will be the kid that gets everyone sick all the time too. Kids who eat unhealthy ARE unhealthy. No thanks.

Health starts with what we put into our bodies.

If you don't like the way someone is getting something done, then you have to do it yourself.

Hopefully you can find a way out of this.
True, but I do define heathly in my handbook, I just did not go into detail here.
daycare 06:56 AM 09-13-2015
True, but I do define heathly in my handbook, I just did not go into detail here.
And are they following your definition ?
Laurel 10:40 AM 09-13-2015
I disagree with you but I'm not gonna flip out because I've heard this opinion before by my best friend who is now a retired child care provider like me. She was actually talking about her grandchildren in regular school. Her comment was "I am against them trying to change the school menu to foods the kids don't want to eat like apples." I was dumbfounded. I asked her why and she said what you are saying. She would rather see them filled up with something they like than seemingly be hungry. I figure they will eat the apple if there is nothing else and they are hungry. They might even learn to like it.

That said, my daughter sends my grandson with a packed lunch of pb&j every day because he will eat it. She also includes other healthy foods though. When she asked the pediatrician how she could get him to eat something other than pb&j the pediatrician said don't worry about it. He eats pretty healthy otherwise and it is okay to eat pb&j every day if he likes it.

I have just seen my provider friend serve dc kiddies a pb&j on white bread, potato chips and cookies if they eat everything else. Also served Kool Aid to drink. Disgusting to me but she never eats healthy herself. Other than that she is a wonderful person.

Someone else mentioned the children might be on a sugar high and not nap well but hers did.

Kinda gross to me though.

Laurel
Laurel 10:48 AM 09-13-2015
I am a licensed Family Child Care Provider. When I make lunches I have to follow a strict guideline for nutrition. I have a very stubborn and picky 4 year old eater here who refused to try anything. Basically lives off of toast, juice, cracker, pretzels, etc. The mother has chosen to start sending this childs lunch with him so "he can get used to taking his own lunch to school". Todays packed lunch consisted of Applesauce, apple juice, pretzels and popcorn. other days there may be a nutella and pretzel snack pack in there. And this is coming from a very well educated woman who actually works in social services and knows the rules in the child care field. Do you feel the kid this type of meal?
I would tell her that it isn't working out because the other children see his lunch and then ask for some of the same things (even if they don't). Tell her it is too disruptive at lunch time. I've actually have had this happen so I didn't allow it anymore. I've had schoolagers bring their own sometimes on their days off.

He doesn't need practice for school. That's absurd.

Laurel
284878 04:56 AM 09-14-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
And are they following your definition ?
Yes. When I had a dcm sending a cold lunch she did follow the rules. She did not want her child to have processed foods and only sent fresh foods never frozen or caned. Made her own soup and so forth.
Sugaree 05:16 AM 09-14-2015

This is how my husband feels. It drives me insane when I get home from work and start making dinner and he's feeding the kid goldfish. No wonder he doesn't want dinner. I'm of the opinion that the kid will eat when he gets hungry enough. I'm also strongly opposed to making him clean his plate if he's full. Luckily, I'm blessed with a kid that will eat almost anything. I fed him escargot the other night and he ate all of his and half of mine too. I think maybe if he didn't eat many things then I would feel differently about it, but I just don't think a kid will die due to starvation by stubborness.
Laurel 06:23 AM 09-14-2015
Yes. When I had a dcm sending a cold lunch she did follow the rules. She did not want her child to have processed foods and only sent fresh foods never frozen or caned. Made her own soup and so forth.
What is wrong with frozen food? I find it is often of much better quality. I can buy a big bag of frozen strawberries in the middle of winter and have more variety too.

I bought a fresh cauliflower the other day but I'm the only one who likes cauliflower. I am getting tired of eating it every day so I don't waste it though so I bought a bag of frozen for next time. Portion control.

Laurel
mommyneedsadayoff 06:24 AM 09-14-2015
I would tell her it is not working out and that you found out that regulations don't allow outside food because of allergies or something.
Ariana 08:05 AM 09-14-2015
Not my kid, not my problem! I mean in all honesty you are going to make him a nutritious meal and he is not going to eat it so it becomes wasted food and wasted money. There is only so much a provider can do for a child if a mother is not involved in the changes. I guess what I am trying to say and what I have had to think about for myself is why am I caring more than the mother?
Unregistered 09:02 AM 09-14-2015
Thank you all for your suggestions! I understand that every child is different as is every situation. It just dumbfounds me some days. The mother is a strict Vegetarian. The dad was raised on meat and potatoes. Not sure how dinner time goes in that house. But I know they do not all eat the same meal. The oldest boy who is in school is on the Autism spectrum. Has a terrible time with textures and smells, but has still tolerated the food I prepare, I just dont give him alot because I know he would have an issue with it. His brother, who is my DCK, simply follows suit and does not have the disability. Again...Thank you for all your help!
Gemma 09:14 AM 09-14-2015
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
I am also on the food program and provide the meals. I tell my parents that because of that fact, they are not allowed to bring any food or drink into my daycare unless there is a medical need for which I would need a doctor's note.

I wouldn't allow that mother to bring any food or drink into your daycare.
I'm like this too!

the kids here know that they are free to eat or leave it and usually they clear their plates cause they know that's all there is
daycarediva 09:16 AM 09-14-2015
I am not parent bashing or flipping out on you. It IS hard to get them to eat healthy, but you are setting your child up for a lifetime of the effects of a bad diet.

I would offer something the child liked that WAS healthy and gradually increase it until they had a good mix of healthy fruits, vegetables, lean meats and whole grains they happily consume.

Giving in doesn't do your child any justice. I would RATHER eat French fries, but I had a salad. If I gave my kids the choice, they would eat the fries. BUT, I pack the salad. They WILL NOT starve and unless there is a failure to thrive issue I would never give in just to 'fill them up'

I would just give mom a list of what the components of a healthy lunch should be. You probably aren't going to win the battle since Mom is educated enough to know better, and the kid is eating like that everywhere else.
284878 11:54 AM 09-14-2015
Originally Posted by Laurel:
What is wrong with frozen food? I find it is often of much better quality. I can buy a big bag of frozen strawberries in the middle of winter and have more variety too.

I bought a fresh cauliflower the other day but I'm the only one who likes cauliflower. I am getting tired of eating it every day so I don't waste it though so I bought a bag of frozen for next time. Portion control.

Laurel
Just to clarify, DCM brought cold lunch because she did not want her child to have certain things. She brought a very healthy lunch, no processed no frozen and no can. If it was not fresh she did not give it to her child.

I myself use fzn veggies, for portion control.
daycare 12:39 PM 09-14-2015
sorry, I am confused are you the OP?
Unregistered 02:11 PM 09-14-2015
Yeah, it is easier to take that path but it doesn't make it right.
daycare 02:42 PM 09-14-2015
Yeah, it is easier to take that path but it doesn't make it right.
so you would rather jepordize their health than have them not eat.

missing a meal is not going to cause issues for a child, other than maybe being more hungry for the next one. It might affect their mood a little, but it will be temporary and not create long term issues.

for most kids eating is a power struggle because they know that this is one thing that we have NO control over.

It is our job as providers and parents to provide HEALTHY food that children need to grow and remain in good health.

It up to us to teach kids which behaviors will get positive results and which ones won't. Kids won't starve, but they will learn to be more flexible rather than go hungry.

I hit reply before I finished.

Children need to eat healthy to get the nutrients their growing bodies need. If you let them have Candy, potato chips, junk food they will more than likely fill up on that and not leave room for. Also, food preferences are established early in life, so if we don't miss teach them how to develop a taste for nutritious foods, imagine what down the road is going to be like for this childs health.

My theory on kids eating junk, Kids can't run to the store to buy them, so just don't keep them in the house, no need to have to give into them. You CAN teach a child that only loves junk food to learn new eating habits, but it will take time and consistency from everyone in the childs life.

Why not help a child set a life long foundation of eating healthy? I see it much better option than letting them control the matter and eat their way into illness or worse.
daycare 03:07 PM 09-14-2015
So I quoted the wrong person.
auntkk 11:16 AM 09-15-2015
When I was a babysitter this is what I did. The kid went straight from baby food to bagel bites and pizza rolls. I hated it but there weren't nutritious alternatives in the house and I was a babysitter. Now with my daycare, I don't allow outside food and would never consider it except for legitimate reasons other than just being picky. Being at someone else's home with just their kid and their food is one thing, but I could never allow junk food when it's my program and I'm feeding multiple kids at once due to all the reasons already stated.
TwinMama 01:52 PM 09-15-2015
If a child has the choice they'll eat garbage, because that's what kids do. It's our job to teach them the difference between good and bad choices. My husband as an adult had struggled with his weight in the past. He blames his mother for not teaching him about eating and what was good and bad for him. She allowed him to eat whatever he wanted and he's paying the price now. In fact, all of his siblings and his Mother pay the price for it. They now have health issues.

I actually worked in Case Management before I chose to stay home, and I find that people who make comments like you have are the ones that choose to not eat healthy themselves. If you eat healthy....you have healthy foods in your home and don't have a need to buy junk food except for on occassion. Therefore you're setting an example for your children and how they should treat their bodies.

So what are you teaching them then? If you don't ask that they eat healthy what are you teaching them about nutrition and what good and bad food does to their bodies?
Crazy8 02:27 PM 09-15-2015
total opposite of most here - I am not on the food program and do not provide meals, the parents do. Its rare for a daycare in my area to provide meals. I state in my contract that they should provide a healthy meal but rarely do any of them do so (they usually follow the no chips/candy rule). I have had everything from the crunchy organic everything families to the chef boyardee all the time families. I just don't fight it much anymore.

If I felt what they ate was going to negatively impact their day I would send it back home, but we've had the occasional cupcakes after lunch celebration and never have an issue with kids not napping or "bouncing off the walls" because of it. If they aren't bringing enough food I address it with parents as well but aside from that these kids leave my daycare by age 4, then parents send them to school where they are going to send whatever they want so I don't see myself being to blame for the kids not learning about nutrition.
KidGrind 04:49 PM 10-18-2015
It wouldn’t happen in my business as I do not allow outside food. However, other than that parents can feed their children how they see fit, outside of abuse of course.
Tags:junk food, lunch
Reply Up