Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Practicing Firedrills
Oneluckymom 12:21 PM 03-07-2013
When you all do firedrills, what do you use to practice the actual firelalram going off? Mine beeps once when checking the battery so to actually have it go off I would have to go to extreme measures.

What do you do to let the kids know what the alarm will sound like during a fire?
SilverSabre25 12:25 PM 03-07-2013
your smoke detector should have a button to test it. Push that and the ear-splitting shriek goes off.
Oneluckymom 12:36 PM 03-07-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
your smoke detector should have a button to test it. Push that and the ear-splitting shriek goes off.
I do have that button. But it doesn't stay on for an extended time, just one high pitched BEEP to test. That's it.
SilverSabre25 12:39 PM 03-07-2013
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
I do have that button. But it doesn't stay on for an extended time, just one high pitched BEEP to test. That's it.
That should be enough to let them know what it's like, I'd think. Or I suppose you could set something on fire and hold it up...
Oneluckymom 12:44 PM 03-07-2013
That should be enough to let them know what it's like, I'd think. Or I suppose you could set something on fire and hold it up...
Yeah!! I could see that working well in my favor!
mamac 12:47 PM 03-07-2013
Ok, now that was funny! I'm in one of my moods where I could actually picture myself doing that.
mamac 12:51 PM 03-07-2013
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
My husband just went and hard-wired all of our smoke detectors in. When we test ours, every single smoke detector in the house goes of with a lot of beeping and "Fire, Fire" for several seconds. Pretty annoying but we're never going to have to worry about sleeping through it!
dave4him 01:34 PM 03-07-2013
My main goal is to teach them that no matter what, the first and most important thing is to get outside. A lot of people forget that a childs natural instinct is going to be to find the parents or adults, but they need to be taught to throw themselves out of nearest window if necessary.
MarinaVanessa 02:24 PM 03-07-2013
I think as long as you are allowing them to hear what the alarm sounds like so they know what to expect you should be fine.

I do that part (sounding the alarm) after we actually do the fire drill. I have a laminated flame that I colored sort of like this one:

and I tape it to a wooden block and set it somewhere until one of the kid spots it and they call out "Fire!". That's when we start to line up and do the drill. When we come back we talk about what to do when we see fire, what to do if our clothes catch on fire and what what the smoke alarm sounds like. If we need to we will line up again and practice exiting (if they took too long the first time or played around).
Bugsworthy 07:41 PM 03-07-2013
MarinaVanessa, I love that idea of letting the kids discover the "fire"!
TheGoodLife 07:51 PM 03-07-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I think as long as you are allowing them to hear what the alarm sounds like so they know what to expect you should be fine.

I do that part (sounding the alarm) after we actually do the fire drill. I have a laminated flame that I colored sort of like this one:

and I tape it to a wooden block and set it somewhere until one of the kid spots it and they call out "Fire!". That's when we start to line up and do the drill. When we come back we talk about what to do when we see fire, what to do if our clothes catch on fire and what what the smoke alarm sounds like. If we need to we will line up again and practice exiting (if they took too long the first time or played around).
Great lesson- love it!
Chuckles 07:52 PM 03-07-2013
I think some of the newer smoke detectors will beep until you release the test button. Maybe try and buy an extra one that beeps more and use it solely for practicing fire drills?
sahm1225 03:50 PM 03-09-2013
Oh, I am going to steal that idea of letting the kids discover the FIRE..

Also - for the providers that take their kids outside for drills - do you live in a warmer climate? Or do you take them all out with the winter gear?
rmc20021 07:37 PM 03-09-2013
We just had our fire drill on Friday and I always remind the kids of the sound of the smoke detector at some point during a drill. Are you holding the button down, or just pushing and releasing it? You have to hold it during the entire time you want it to beep.

I use a large fire I made from orange poster board and will put it by one of the exits when the kids aren't looking as I teach my kids that if one exit is blocked they need to go to another exit.

I have also taught my kids that you can't always see the fire...most of the time it's the smoke that actually kills.

We once had a fire in the attic and would never have known it was there if my husband hadn't been leaving for work and noticed the smoke coming out of the roof...there were no flames shooting out yet so they weren't visible. It was just the smoke.
Blackcat31 08:05 AM 03-10-2013
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
Also - for the providers that take their kids outside for drills - do you live in a warmer climate? Or do you take them all out with the winter gear?
I keep a stack of blankets by the door. I will grab a couple on the way out. The baby usually gets wrapped in one and the other kids will huddle together in the other.

Our city fire siren goes off on the first Wednesday of the month. We use that as our opportunity to practice the fire drills on a regular basis and then every once in a while, we throw in a random drill as well. Most of the kids have no idea the city one goes off on the first Wed of the month so they don't yet get the pattern and don't expect or anticipate the drill before hand.

All in all, the drill only takes a few minutes so even though the temps are well below freezing here for most the winter, the kids aren't allowed to grab jackets or anything else...because we wouldn't do that in the case of a real fire...kwim?

Since we are only outside for a few minutes I don't think the weather is that big of a deal...especially when you consider the lesson being taught.
DCMom 08:18 AM 03-10-2013
Like Blackcat, we have the city wide test of the system on the first Wednesday of the month so we always do one that day. The siren is in the park very close to my home, so when the kids hear they know and head for the door.

I also do a second, random drill at some point during the month. I alert my assistant, then I go to the main floor and hold the test button on the smoke alarm and keep it going for about 5-10 seconds. In the winter, I just have them go out the door and on to the patio. Not a full, meet at the mailbox in the front of the house drill, but they get the idea to leave quickly and the sound of the alarm.

MarinaVanessa~LOVE the block idea! I will have to try that for our random drill this month.
Sunchimes 08:32 AM 03-10-2013
This is a stupid question, but when do you start? I just have 2 kids-the oldest is 2 1/2. How do you even start explaining the whole concept? How far from the house do you make the meeting point?
sahm1225 11:48 AM 03-10-2013
Love the idea of the blankets by the door! Thanks for the tips
MyAngels 02:10 PM 03-10-2013
I do the same thing Marina does with the fake fire. I also keep a bag hanging by the door with 6 pairs of kids slippers and three fleece blankets, along with a current list of the parents' phone numbers that I just grab as we go out the door. Our meeting place is two doors down on the neighbor's covered porch (with his permission, of course )
Blackcat31 04:14 PM 03-10-2013
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
This is a stupid question, but when do you start? I just have 2 kids-the oldest is 2 1/2. How do you even start explaining the whole concept? How far from the house do you make the meeting point?
Our local fire dept comes to my daycare every year in October. They bring the fire truck, a fireman uniform and helmet and lots of goodies for the kiddos.

I partner with a neighbor provider and include her DCK's too.

The kids all get a little lesson in fire safety from the fireman. He puts on the whole fire suit so the kids can see him dressed and then he talks to them about how it is important to never be afraid of the men/women dressed like that as most kids will hide when they see the fireman in all the strange looking gear they wear.

The DCK's also get an opportunity to try on the suit and helmet and they get a ride around the block in the fire truck and get to turn on the siren too!

They love it!

If you don't have a community fire dept that is willing to do that, I would jsut start out by talking to the kids about fire and ask them what they know. Like any theme, there is tons and tons of info out there about fire safety and prevention that you should have no trouble finding stuff.

Definitely start though by asking the kids...I always try and gauge what we are going to learn by what the kids already know about the subject and build from there.
Sunchimes 06:16 PM 03-10-2013
I don't think they will come with just 1 kid old enough to talk. I live on a main street and fire trucks and ambulances scream past all day long, so she knows they are "helpers". I guess that's a good place to start.

Thanks.
sahm1225 07:24 PM 11-03-2013
Do the kids have shoes on when they go outside? We usually do the fire drills when we are already ready to go outside so they have shoes on. Last week I did it with no warning and took them outside w no shoes. They complained, so now I'm wondering what everyone else does!
Lil'DinoEggs 07:40 PM 11-03-2013
We are supposed to do it without shoes but sometimes i cheat and do it right when we come in from outside. i also have a box of plastic slip ons next to my primary exit.
Sunchimes 04:30 PM 11-04-2013
I found an app that we have been using. It is called Sparky's Birthday Surprise. I got it free for Android, I think it may be free on itunes. It is about the fire station dalmation. At the beginning, it talks about the smoke alarms and if you touch the alarm, it sounds much like the one in our house. It's a pretty good place to start helping them get acquainted with the sound.
Cradle2crayons 04:41 PM 11-04-2013
My husband mounted a real smoke alarm by he front door that's battery powered and not wired into the rest. We use that one for drills. We hold the button and it goes through the beeps and verbal warnings.

You could buy one that actually tests like a real one and just bring it out when you are ready and set that one off for drills if you want.

I think the more realistic the better
Bookworm 04:57 PM 11-04-2013
My centered is required to do one every month. The kids know what to do when the alarm sounds. Unfortunately, earlier this year we had a a true fire emergency and the kids did exactly what we practiced. It was proof that fire drills are important.
Tags:fire drill
Reply Up