Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Payment drop offs during nap time
Indoorvoice 05:28 AM 01-08-2016
Does there have to be a rule for everything??

Would you allow payments to be dropped off in the middle of the day when parent won't be taking child with them? Parent wants to drop off payment during nap and then leave for her appointment. I hate to be picky about when I accept payments, but geez! Dad will be picking up tonight and he doesn't pay. They are married, so this could easily be arranged between them. Ugh.
Blackcat31 05:31 AM 01-08-2016
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:

Would you allow payments to be dropped off in the middle of the day when parent won't be taking child with them? Parent wants to drop off payment during nap and then leave for her appointment. I hate to be picky about when I accept payments, but geez! Dad will be picking up tonight and he doesn't pay. They are married, so this could easily be arranged between them. Ugh.
Nope.

Tell mom instead of disrupting nap time for everyone, she can drop the payment off at dad's work instead of your house and dad can bring it when he picks up.
Indoorvoice 06:10 AM 01-08-2016
Thanks. I know she'll argue that because dad's work is far away and she lives 2 seconds from me. I'm terrible at this. It wouldn't be such a big deal but I have to confront her every week about something.
Unregistered 06:25 AM 01-08-2016
tell them to put it under your door mat or in the mailbox.
Pepperth 06:28 AM 01-08-2016
Could you have a drop box outside set up?
Blackcat31 06:32 AM 01-08-2016
Any particular reason the parent didnt have it with them at drop off?

Is this the first time they've wanted to stop by at nap?

Maybe she could go to her appointment first and then come pick up her child and drop off payment at the same time assuming nap time will be over then...

Are they normally good at following policies or do they push boundaries?
daycarediva 06:49 AM 01-08-2016
Nope. I would ask that she toss it in the mailbox so it didn't disrupt resting children.
Indoorvoice 06:53 AM 01-08-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Any particular reason the parent didnt have it with them at drop off?

Is this the first time they've wanted to stop by at nap?

Maybe she could go to her appointment first and then come pick up her child and drop off payment at the same time assuming nap time will be over then...

Are they normally good at following policies or do they push boundaries?
She forgets all the time. She normally has Fridays off but always forgets to pay Thursdays and then tries to drop off on Friday when she's not scheduled to be here. I finally put a stop to that.

Nap time has been an issue for her since the beginning. She's always trying to find a reason to be here during nap. First it was wanting to breastfeed at that time. When I said no, a huge tantrum. Then she was wanting to pick him up during nap and bring him back. Now it's dropping off payments.

They push all the boundaries. They are family so I've been trying to be nice but firm, but they don't think rules apply to them. She always says "that rule applies to us too?" It's very awkward to constantly explain rules to family. It makes me feel picky.

I'm terming in April. I'm just trying to decide what things to let slide until then and what to enforce so I stay sane until then. I'm also pregnant so I'm extra irritable. Wow. Thanks for the vent sesh. I really needed that.
Blackcat31 07:51 AM 01-08-2016
She forgets all the time. She normally has Fridays off but always forgets to pay Thursdays and then tries to drop off on Friday when she's not scheduled to be here. I finally put a stop to that.

Nap time has been an issue for her since the beginning. She's always trying to find a reason to be here during nap. First it was wanting to breastfeed at that time. When I said no, a huge tantrum. Then she was wanting to pick him up during nap and bring him back. Now it's dropping off payments.

They push all the boundaries. They are family so I've been trying to be nice but firm, but they don't think rules apply to them. She always says "that rule applies to us too?" It's very awkward to constantly explain rules to family. It makes me feel picky.

I'm terming in April. I'm just trying to decide what things to let slide until then and what to enforce so I stay sane until then. I'm also pregnant so I'm extra irritable. Wow. Thanks for the vent sesh. I really needed that.

I'd send her this text:

"Sorry DCM, but you were FULLY ware of when payment was due. You may NOT drop it off at nap time so you'll have to figure something else out but please remember that regardless of your situation, late fees apply if not paid by end of the day"

Because of her history of "needing" to stop by at nap time I wouldnt even allow her to put in under the door mat or in the mailbox. If you let her on your property, she'll probably start peeking in your windows..

This is one situation in which I'd simply draw a line and stick to it. Draw it in permanent marker and refuse to budge. Some parents....
mommyneedsadayoff 09:24 AM 01-08-2016
I have it written in my policies that if you decide to come by at nap time (no matter what reason), you take child with you when you leave. If she wants to drop off payment, then I would have dck ready to go and waiting at the door for to take when she goes. My parents knew how sacred nap time was for me, so they would never have even thought to ask to come by during naps, because it is honestly a super rude request for something where she has other options.

I had one situation where dcm was going to pick up dcg before naps because they were going out of town and they wanted dcg to sleep on the way. I said fine, as long as you are here by 12:30 (naptime was at 1 pm). She texts at 12:30 to say they are running late packing, so it will be just a bit longer. They didn't come till 1:45 and I was pissed! Dcg was so upset because she wanted to go to her nap like everyone else and I was about to go ahead and lay her down when they texted that they were on the way. We were out on my front step waiting for them and she knew right away that I was mad, so let's just say they never tried that again. And karma is a b!tch, because dcg did not sleep the whole way and was miserable and cranky for the rest of the night.
Annalee 09:28 AM 01-08-2016
This statement is why I have truly considered quitting. I feel like an "enforcer" ALL THE TIME and I do not like it. Clients KNOW the answers in my daycare BUT they ask to see if I will negotiate.....and I am known for not negotiating but clients today try anyway over and over....
Ariana 09:32 AM 01-08-2016
What a weird and crazy situation to be in!! Some people just don't get that we have sleeping children and that the kids will want to go home with the parent.

I would tell her that you'd prefer payment to be made after her appointment and that JR will want to go home with her.
daycare 09:36 AM 01-08-2016
I would allow for it this one last time. Put it under the mat or etc. I do NOT allow parents in my mailbox. BTDT yes, of course we had an issue.

this is what I would say:

sue I will allow for it this time, however, moving forward, I will no longer allow visits for any reason during nap time, as it is extremely disruptive.

All payment must be made a drop off or pick up only. Thank you.
Indoorvoice 10:39 AM 01-08-2016
Hi all. I so appreciate your understanding. When I vent to friends I think they think I'm the pickiest daycare lady ever.

The main problem with having people stop by during nap even just to drop it under the mat is that I have a lab who thinks she's a watch dog and will bark when anyone pulls in the driveway. It's not even a matter of it being my time or needing privacy. I just don't want the kids to be woken up by barking. It's not a fun way to wake up.

I decided since it was bothering me, that it was an issue to address today. I told her I can't accept payment at nap time and to please work out with her husband how to get payment to me at pick up time. I feel weird being so strict with family, but I'm not going to be the one resenting them anymore!
Blackcat31 11:22 AM 01-08-2016
Hi all. I so appreciate your understanding. When I vent to friends I think they think I'm the pickiest daycare lady ever.

The main problem with having people stop by during nap even just to drop it under the mat is that I have a lab who thinks she's a watch dog and will bark when anyone pulls in the driveway. It's not even a matter of it being my time or needing privacy. I just don't want the kids to be woken up by barking. It's not a fun way to wake up.

I decided since it was bothering me, that it was an issue to address today. I told her I can't accept payment at nap time and to please work out with her husband how to get payment to me at pick up time. I feel weird being so strict with family, but I'm not going to be the one resenting them anymore!

Good for you!

Your backbone is mighty strong today!!

Again GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!
Reply Up