Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Too Early DCM
Shell 12:28 PM 11-14-2014
I have a new family that started this summer. Great hours, nice family. So, when dcm asked if they could pick up 5-6 mins late (well within my operating hours), I didn't hesitate. I didn't charge because they are paying the same price I would have charged for 5 hr more a week, hope that makes sense. Anyway, dcm just got a new job and asked if she could drop off early two days. Again, I said yes, no charge...I'm sure you can see where this is going. Well, they did the two days, and were back on track with regular hours. So, yesterday, dcm shows up 5 mins early and I let them in (I am usually soooo firm about not letting anyone in). I said, "are you going to need to change your hours? You're a little early". Dcm says she didn't realize it. Anyway, another dcm "snuck" in during this 5 minute interval, and I had a full house before I even opened for the day! Today, dcm shows up 10 minutes early and I made her wait outside, and then opened my door at opening time. I do have a dcg that comes 30 mins before opening, but the parent pays for this, and it's been regular for over a year. I'm assuming dcm thinks it's ok to come early because the other child is here. How would you handle this? Verbally, maybe a notice to everyone, or sign on the door? I feel badly making good parents wait outside in the cold, but this family is really pushing it (5 mins yesterday, 10 minutes today), plus the other dcm sneaking in- I always, always make her wait, but the door was already open. Thanks (and be gentle, please, I know I've been too easygoing lately).
AngelsMommy 12:33 PM 11-14-2014
I would cover this in your handbook or print out some newsletters for parents regarding this matter, Tell them that timing needs to be punctual because it can and does interfere with sensitive schedules such as meal prep, bottle feedings, and potty training. If they don't understand I would change their schedule or charge more, either way though, your the boss! It is your home before the daycare opens and needs to be treated that way, best of luck to you
melilley 12:44 PM 11-14-2014
I like the idea of a newsletter, if you don't want to tell them face to face. I sometimes do this.
Laurel 12:45 PM 11-14-2014
Originally Posted by Shell:
I have a new family that started this summer. Great hours, nice family. So, when dcm asked if they could pick up 5-6 mins late (well within my operating hours), I didn't hesitate. I didn't charge because they are paying the same price I would have charged for 5 hr more a week, hope that makes sense. Anyway, dcm just got a new job and asked if she could drop off early two days. Again, I said yes, no charge...I'm sure you can see where this is going. Well, they did the two days, and were back on track with regular hours. So, yesterday, dcm shows up 5 mins early and I let them in (I am usually soooo firm about not letting anyone in). I said, "are you going to need to change your hours? You're a little early". Dcm says she didn't realize it. Anyway, another dcm "snuck" in during this 5 minute interval, and I had a full house before I even opened for the day! Today, dcm shows up 10 minutes early and I made her wait outside, and then opened my door at opening time. I do have a dcg that comes 30 mins before opening, but the parent pays for this, and it's been regular for over a year. I'm assuming dcm thinks it's ok to come early because the other child is here. How would you handle this? Verbally, maybe a notice to everyone, or sign on the door? I feel badly making good parents wait outside in the cold, but this family is really pushing it (5 mins yesterday, 10 minutes today), plus the other dcm sneaking in- I always, always make her wait, but the door was already open. Thanks (and be gentle, please, I know I've been too easygoing lately).
This happened to me before at the end of the day. I had one family that paid for the extra half hour. Others would get there late thinking I must be open later because the one child stayed later.

I sent a note home to all parents explaining the situation. I told them that one family pays extra for a later pick up and if they need that option to talk to me. Otherwise, they needed to be here by 5:30 as it wasn't fair if one had to pay and the others didn't for the extra time. That worked. They just didn't know I charged extra for more time...depending. It was a case by case basis.

Laurel
CraftyMom 12:56 PM 11-14-2014
I also have one that comes up to 45 minutes before my opening time, but they pay for it. I have had a couple of others try to drop off a few minutes early thinking the same thing, since dcg is here it must be ok. I also don't know how to approach it. It isn't anyone else's business how much someone else pays, but at the same time they should know that if they need an earlier drop off they have to pay. Maybe next time it happens I'll say something like someone else said "Do you need an earlier drop off time? The rate would be xxx" Then this way I'm not telling them anyone else's business, but still letting them know it needs to be paid for
Kabob 12:58 PM 11-14-2014
"Hey dcm, I know mornings/evenings can be hectic and we can easily lose track of time, but I operate on scheduled hours. If you need hours before or after what you typically schedule, please let me know by xxx date and I will see if I can accommodate that change. This will come at an extra cost. I'm sure you understand, as I know you wouldn't want to work extra for free. If you accidentally arrive early, please feel free to wait in your car/grab some coffee from a drive-thru/circle the block (whatever you want to say). Otherwise, I will have to turn you away from the door. Thanks for being so understanding!"

I told this to a dcm that kept coming earlier and earlier and then she stopped...I told her it's better to be late for drop off and early for pick up if she wants to avoid extra fees.

I also allow a dcm to stay 15 minutes past my closing time but she pays for this time. I had another dcm notice this and ask if she could pick up late too (in case it snows) and I told her sure...if she schedules the late pick up and pays for it. She didn't do it.
josie2014 05:30 PM 11-15-2014
I had the same problem,my hours was 8 to 6,great.I change to closing at 5:30pm and drop off at 7:30...great...this particular dcm she was great,dropping off at 7:30,I noticed after couple weeks,dropping off dcb at 7:15 and 7:00 and 6:40 am lol...I didn't said anything,she's wasn't paying extra.One day I said look,you suppose be here 7:30 but in the last month you are dropping you child to early,if you wanted ti pay more for that it's okay but my hours are 7:30.
And you know what she's said to me....I pick her up 2 hours early one day week.......
I just answered those are my hours and my rules not yours...after that day she's never dropped dcb early...I learned we have to say Nooooo for them....
midaycare 06:01 PM 11-15-2014
I don't allow early drop offs for anyone. Just because of this issue. I open at 7:00. I tell everyone I can only legally open at 7:00, and before that, no one is covered under my insurance, so I don't want the risk. I also say licensing doesn't want anyone here outside of my hours.

As for later times, I have on occasion let people pay for later hours (I schedule myself open later with licensing and my insurance company to cover this). But every one understands they need to pay for this time. I make it crystal clear when I go over the handbook line by line before they start. It's a pain in the butt to do that, but I find that parents don't question my policies because they know them so well.
Reply Up