Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Miss LJ

Default Potty Training

Hello All,
I am about to potty train my first child & I'm looking for methods. Please share. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-15-2009, 12:06 PM
Unregistered

Default Some tips

I hate pull ups for kids. They are good for overnight for bedwetters, and good if you "have" to go somewhere while training. But you might as well be putting on a diaper. They both say "use me". When other kids were not around I would let my kids go pantless. Nice with the girls they just wore lots of dresses. My son however wore bigger teeshirts. If they are ready, the training should not take long. My daughters were trained in less than a week and my son in less than a month. His problem was he did not even seem to notice peeing on the floor, but with the girls it is harder not to notice pee running down your leg. :-) I put their potty in the closest room without a rug. Good luck, and have patience. There will be quite a few accidents at first.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Daycare.com Member

With my son I just put him in underwear. Sure he had some accidents, but he didn't like wetting his pants so 1.5 - 2 weeks later he was mostly potty trained.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:20 AM
Daycare.com Member

Are you potty trainning a child you care for or your child? It makes a difference to how well it goes. If it is a child you are caring for it will only go well if the parents do their part at home. If it is your child it will be pretty easy if the child is showing interest in it. Just be sure to ask every 1/2 to start with. When my son was young we did not have pullups so he was either in a diaper or in pants with the rubber pants over top. Praise goes a long way when you are potty trainning.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:13 PM
Unregistered

Be very consistant. Once you start to potty train a child don't turn back. I also have to agree with not using pull-ups.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:13 AM
Unregistered

Default momof3

If your child is ready they will wake from a nap or the morning is dry. I agree with the no pull ups.....underware helps the parent remember too. Get a timmer....use the regular toilet with a stool....once they pee a good amount set the timmer every 30 min...we call it the pee pee timmer.....once they get the hang of it set the timmer for longer.....Don't give up and it will take 1 week....make it fun...we sang a little song....be sure they are ready...my kids #2 alway took a little longer but within a month that was mastered too. I alway try to remember that the I have to be consitant and not be lazy for anything to go smooth with small children.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:26 PM
lilbiddapopcorn

Default Same thing

I have 4 children of my own and I potty trained a few in childcare. I also put my own children in underwear. Of course you usually can't do this with children in your childcare because you're probably not going to have the extra underwear for them to change into. To start out, I would not ask, I would take them to the potty every hour and just say "time to go potty!". If you ask and they're not potty trained, they say they don't need to go, and you end up with an accident. Then when they get to learning to use the potty, you stretch it to every 2 hours. And after they get the hang of it you should be able to ask them if they need to go potty instead of just taking them. My boys took about 3 weeks, my girls less than a week. Best of luck to you and no matter what, just be consistent and patient. They'll learn!
Old 06-11-2009, 01:43 PM
miss lannie j

Default potty training

I'm training a child in my child care. She goes when I take her, but I cannot get her to tell me she has to go. She says no everytime I ask her if she has to go, also. She's using Pull Ups, but her mom bought 1 pair of panties. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:11 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

As a dc provider, I would not allow potty training without pullups. When it is your own child, it is different. I have done daycare for over 10 years, and there is no way I want these many children having "accidents" on my carpet/furniture.

I just had a dad ask me about this yesterday. This is what I told him:

Once you have introduced K. to the potty, and she understands what it means and will go on the potty, and once she is able to recognize that she has to pee and will tell me that she has to pee, then I will start working with her at dc. Once she has went for 2 weeks STRAIGHT with no accidents and her telling me she has to go potty, then we can go to undies. I also suggested to put undies under the pull up so they can "feel" when they have an accident. Potty training, in my opinion, should not take more than a few days. I hate it when a parent says "We are potty training our child" and it goes on and on for weeks, then months.

To me to be potty trained means to recognize that you have to pee, be able to hold it until you can get to the potty a couple minutes, be able to come to an adult and let them know, and going to the bathroom. No accidents. I would much rather change a 3 yr olds diaper 4 times a day, versus cleaning up messes even in a pull up.

I think too many times, parents of children in dc, think it is the providers responsibilty to do this, when it isn't, it is the parents responsibilty to introduce it and teach the child the concept of it, then the providers job to follow through.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Unregistered

Smile Take some of the stress out of potty training!

Hi All!

I realize how challenging potty training can be for Moms, Dads and toddlers and having noticed this forum, I wanted to be sure to pass along a fun and free opportunity that the company I work with is organizing. It's called the Pull-Ups Potty Dance Day House Party and it gives Moms, Dads, tots and their friends a chance to gather, share and learn about potty training and Pull-Ups as the toddlers take their steps to being a big Kid.

Moms, Dads and tots will have a blast dancing to a streaming concert all for them by Grammy-nominated children's music group, Ralph's World! House Party and Pull-Ups provide all the gear, planning suggestions and activities for you to host your own get together. be sure to check it out and apply by clicking below! If anyone has questions or is intrested, please feel free to email me, I'm happy to help answer questions or direct you as to how to apply.

Pull-Ups® Potty Dance Day House Party™
http://www.houseparty.com/link/5315a829

Brian Slattery | House Party, Inc.
brian.slattery@houseparty.com
http://www.houseparty.com
Old 01-18-2011, 02:43 PM
Daycare Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac60 View Post
As a dc provider, I would not allow potty training without pullups. When it is your own child, it is different. I have done daycare for over 10 years, and there is no way I want these many children having "accidents" on my carpet/furniture.

Once you have introduced K. to the potty, and she understands what it means and will go on the potty, and once she is able to recognize that she has to pee and will tell me that she has to pee, then I will start working with her at dc. Once she has went for 2 weeks STRAIGHT with no accidents and her telling me she has to go potty, then we can go to undies. I also suggested to put undies under the pull up so they can "feel" when they have an accident. Potty training, in my opinion, should not take more than a few days. I hate it when a parent says "We are potty training our child" and it goes on and on for weeks, then months.

To me to be potty trained means to recognize that you have to pee, be able to hold it until you can get to the potty a couple minutes, be able to come to an adult and let them know, and going to the bathroom. No accidents. I would much rather change a 3 yr olds diaper 4 times a day, versus cleaning up messes even in a pull up.

I think too many times, parents of children in dc, think it is the providers responsibilty to do this, when it isn't, it is the parents responsibilty to introduce it and teach the child the concept of it, then the providers job to follow through.
ditto..... I agree
nothing worse than having to clean up poop off of your carpet and other areas in your house.
I would reccomend putting the underwear on first, pull up, diaper or some kind of leakage support. It feels different and has worked for our group. I have just potty trained 4 of my DCKs. two 2yr old, one 3 yr old and yes one 4.5 year old.....
Old 01-18-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac60 View Post

I placed this same thing in my contract over a yr. ago. Once the child understands the concept of it, and states he has to pee, then I will assist with it here at daycare, otherwise it is the parent's responsiblity to teach.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:35 AM

I have been struggling with my 2 almost 3 yr old with potty training for a good 6-9 months (didn't keep track).
He does so well, and then I find if he gets sick, or anything, he ends up regressing. He has been "potty trained" (except nighttime), but if we go out, or if he has snowpants on, he has to have diapers/pull ups on underneath, because he just goes in his pants. It's so strange.
My hubby started buying pullups because he thought that the cars on them would help him train faster (cause they disappear when they pee in it). But I agree with everyone else's posts, about pullups being a no. All 3 of my kids, once introduced to the pullups, decided they are a diaper, and they can pee in them if they want. When we use actual diapers, I find he's much better at using the potty. He wants to be a bigboy, and having to lay down and put on a diaper like the babies do, he doesn't like.

What is the best way to get them to out of bedtime peeing? He still wakes up with a full nights worth of pee. And he doesn't drink much after 5pm because I've been trying to get him to wake up with dry diapers so we can start that.

My other 2 children were easy peasy, they were trained within a day, and the other within 2 weeks with a few bedtime accidents only.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:59 AM

Nighttime dryness is less a training issue and more a physiological readiness issue--just like a child won't walk until they're ready, they can't stay dry at night until they're ready. The child has to either be capable of holding it while sleeping or of waking themselves up to go potty--and nothing can make those happen except physiological readiness. One day, he'll start waking up at night to pee or he'll start waking up dry and that will be the end of it.

Quote:
I have been struggling with my 2 almost 3 yr old with potty training for a good 6-9 months (didn't keep track).
He does so well, and then I find if he gets sick, or anything, he ends up regressing. He has been "potty trained" (except nighttime), but if we go out, or if he has snowpants on, he has to have diapers/pull ups on underneath, because he just goes in his pants. It's so strange.
My hubby started buying pullups because he thought that the cars on them would help him train faster (cause they disappear when they pee in it). But I agree with everyone else's posts, about pullups being a no. All 3 of my kids, once introduced to the pullups, decided they are a diaper, and they can pee in them if they want. When we use actual diapers, I find he's much better at using the potty. He wants to be a bigboy, and having to lay down and put on a diaper like the babies do, he doesn't like.

What is the best way to get them to out of bedtime peeing? He still wakes up with a full nights worth of pee. And he doesn't drink much after 5pm because I've been trying to get him to wake up with dry diapers so we can start that.

My other 2 children were easy peasy, they were trained within a day, and the other within 2 weeks with a few bedtime accidents only.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:19 AM

Thanks SilverSabre.....It's just strange to me as he's almost 3!
With my first son, I didn't even try to potty train, because he didn't even talk yet. I figured if he's not talking, he can't tell me he has to go potty. So I said I'll just wait because he's a little slower in the developing. Then he just refused diapers one day, and then a week or so later he said no diapers at night time either (well he mumbled it and I knew what he was saying). So I let him. And it was super easy.

Definitely good to know! Thank you!

Tags
potty training, pull ups, toilet