Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Many Days Off Do You Get?
hgonzalez 08:55 PM 12-28-2012
I am just curious as to how many days off for yourself you each include in your contract (Paid Holidays, Vacation Days, sick days etc).

Do any of you include bereavement days in the event of a death of a close relative?

I take 10 paid vacation days, and have 8 personal days (for illness, doctor's appts etc.). I never use all of the personal days. I also have 9 paid Holidays.

I am feeling like my families are upset by how many days off I have and just want to know what everyone else is doing.

Also, do you give your families any time off unpaid?

Thank you!
daycaremom76 09:01 PM 12-28-2012
I have 10 paid vacation days and 7 paid holidays. I give my parent's 1 week n/c vacation as long as they give me 2 weeks notice and as long as it's 5 consecutive days (m-f) I also don't charge my parents when I close because I am sick. Which is something that I have been thinking about changing like maybe adding 5 sick days cause 9 out of 10 times I get sick cause the daycare kids come sick.
CozyHome 10:08 PM 12-28-2012
I have all my stat/closed paid days listed in my contract.

I also have 3 paid personal days per year but I've only used a couple of them in the past 5 years.

My vacation weeks are unpaid and I write a letter to my clients the first of Dec. the year before so when their employers ask them which weeks they would like to book for their vacation they can book the same as mine if they want.
Blackcat31 07:42 AM 12-29-2012
I take 2 week long vacations (10 days) and have 5 paid holidays off.

I have 1 unpaid scheduled day off (my birthday)

So I have a total of 16 days off where I am closed per year.

I give my families who attend full time (4/5 days a week) 8 personal days for them to use however they want with ADVANCE notice.

Families who attend less than full time, receive no personal days off and pay their same weekly rate all year long.

As far as unexpected closures for funerals or other personal needs, I have a sub to fill in on short notice. I WILL close if necessary but avoid it if at all possible.
BumbleBee 10:00 AM 12-29-2012
10 days for me (major holidays and some personal)

Families get 10 sick/vacation days.
allieannarbor 10:50 AM 12-29-2012
I am licensed for 16 in-home (the entire main floor is dedicated to the program and we live up and downstairs) and have two full time staff. We are closed for holiday 23 paid days, so our winter break right now is Dec 17th-Jan 2nd. The holiday closures follow the public school calendar, it is pretty standard practice in my city for similar programs (full day preschool type) to have a set monthly tuition and holiday closures. I have to be onsite 2/3s of the time and 99% of time am here open to close and on the floor 8-5, I can take a day off if needed but haven't (my husband can sub for me or any staff). If we decide to go on vacation the program can remain open and we still obviously get paid, I will not work at all this summer as I am preggo and due in June and will be on a summer maternity leave but we live onsite so I am never far.
nanglgrl 12:25 PM 12-29-2012
I have 10 paid days off. They are all holidays or the days before/after. I'm going to add 5 more paid days this year for illness/personal. I usually take at least 1 week (sometimes 2) a year off unpaid but give my clients notice months in advance. My clients do not get any "free" days unless they are during my unpaid vacation so most of them schedule their vacation around mine.
Evansmom 12:27 PM 12-29-2012
I take two weeks of non paid vacation (one week in summer, one at Christmas) plus paid vacations which are New Years, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and the Friday following. My full time clients get vacation days too, 2 weeks like I do. Part time does not get vacation days, they pay for the spot.
MarinaVanessa 01:35 PM 12-29-2012
I just recently went from paid vacations and sick times to if DCP take time off I get paid if I take time off I don't get paid but I charge in the higher end of the scale of my area so I can afford that. All of my families would get 5 free days a year for vacation which they would use when I went on my vacation so it turns out the same anyway.

So now I have 11 paid holidays and I take 5 unpaid days for vacation off a year.
CozyHome 09:08 PM 12-30-2012
I just checked my contract and there are a total of 15 paid stat days that I'm closed, including Good Friday & Easter Monday and Christmas Eve/Day/Boxing Day and some of them aren't actually stat days. But I call them closed daycare days in my contract and they are all listed so the families know to book off a day if they don't have it as a stat.

I also have 3 paid personal days in my contract that I don't use every year and I give my clients notice about my unpaid vacation weeks so they can book them off with their employer the next year.
renodeb 09:19 PM 12-30-2012
I take 2 weeks a year vacation (one week in the summer and one in the winter, unpaid. I also have one weeks sick days unpaid and I take the school holidays off (paid). I get very few complaints due to the fact that they arent paying me while Im off.
I feel it is essential for us to take vacation and days off. To recharge our batteries, rest, and relax.
daycarediva 04:14 AM 12-31-2012
I take 5 paid vacation days and 5 paid holidays per year. Anything beyond that is unpaid. My families have no vacation policy, they pay regardless.
Tags:days off
Reply Up