Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>COVID Proofing
dolores 06:21 AM 11-20-2020
Besides the daily health screenings, parents not entering, PPE, hand hygiene and sanitizing/disinfecting your daycare/home- what else are you doing to minimize risk in your daycare space? Especially around parents and their kids?

Currently, my covid scanning eyes are picking up the following concerns in my daycare:
-back packs/lunch bags coming in (even though I serve meals and snacks)
-soft toys that help transition the new munchkins
-shoes and jackets touching
-arts/crafts/papers we are sending home.

Suggestions for the above?

What else are you doing?

I want to get to a point where nothing except what is on our bodies is in/out.
Blackcat31 06:28 AM 11-20-2020
I have always had a rule of no bags or back packs allowed. If I didn't I sure would now simply to decrease the risk of spread.

I also do not allow stuffies or any blankets etc to be brought back and forth between home and care. Bed Bug risk..

I have separate cubby spaces for coats and outdoor gear so they aren't touching each other so that helps. If I didn't I would probably just slip each child's coat into a plastic grocery bag and hang them up.

As for papers sent home....I've gotten away from that in the last few years too with the exception of some art work but considering the COVID issue, I've reduced even more.

Other than what we are doing, I don't think there is anything more we can do.

My biggest struggle right now is trust. Parents SAY they are limiting their interactions with others and not going places. I don't necessarily think parents are outright lying but I am not sure their definition of "limiting" is the same as mine and that kind of freaks me out a bit.
Annalee 06:43 AM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have always had a rule of no bags or back packs allowed. If I didn't I sure would now simply to decrease the risk of spread.

I also do not allow stuffies or any blankets etc to be brought back and forth between home and care. Bed Bug risk..

I have separate cubby spaces for coats and outdoor gear so they aren't touching each other so that helps. If I didn't I would probably just slip each child's coat into a plastic grocery bag and hang them up.

As for papers sent home....I've gotten away from that in the last few years too with the exception of some art work but considering the COVID issue, I've reduced even more.

Other than what we are doing, I don't think there is anything more we can do.

My biggest struggle right now is trust. Parents SAY they are limiting their interactions with others and not going places. I don't necessarily think parents are outright lying but I am not sure their definition of "limiting" is the same as mine and that kind of freaks me out a bit.
Exactly!!!!
AmyKidsCo 01:14 PM 11-24-2020
Car seats aren't allowed anymore - not changing that policy after Covid! I never allowed backpacks or diaper bags.

Lovies used to travel but now they need to keep one here if they need it.

Art still goes home because I figure if we've got it, they've already been exposed.

Books, table games and other non-washable things were separated into 4 bins. The bins rotate 1 day open, 3 days closed.

Daily Connect came up with touchless sign in/out and we've been using that for about a month. I added a short Covid screening they have to complete in order to sign in. I love it but licensing still requires us to fill out their form too. (Just FCC, not group centers)

ITA about trusting the parents but the majority of my parents are still working from home and still talk about taking precautions so I try not to worry.
kendallina 08:20 PM 11-24-2020
I no longer allow backpacks.

Shoes get taken off on front porch and stay there.

Driveway drop off/pick up.

The biggest change for us is masks. Children are required to have two that they keep here and I wash. Kids wear them inside (I only have ages 3 and up) and I wear a mask inside and when I'm close to a child outside.

Lunch tables are farther apart than before.

Lovies stay here.

I still send art home, parents can decide how they want to handle that.
Tags:covid-19 and daycare
Reply Up