Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When to Start Time Out??
TGT09 07:38 AM 03-02-2010
At what age do you start time-out? I have a 14 month old dcg that is having often and extreme temper tantrums plus getting into things she knows she's not suppose to get. I watched a DCB a few years ago that was around 1 year and I use to put him in time-out for a minute but he was a much larger and advanced child.

As for current DCG, she keeps trying to get down and I just calmly walk over and keep sitting her on her butt. After about the 5th time, she sits still. I never do more than 30 seconds-1 minute.

Is this what I should be doing?
tenderhearts 08:56 AM 03-02-2010
I have a 15 mo old and I do put her in time out for hitting the others, I usually don't start until about 18 mo but her mom said they've been doing it at home so I thought I'd do it here then too.
mac60 10:45 AM 03-02-2010
I would never expect a child of that age to sit in time out. I would remove from the situation. If they need to be removed, put them in the high chair, packinplay, etc for a time out.
mamajennleigh 10:57 AM 03-02-2010
I am in a similar situation with a 16 month old. He comes here with his 2.5 year old sister and he terrorizes her all day long. I move him away from her, but he always ends up back over there, pulling her hair, yelling in her face, trying to take her shoes off. I'm fed up! He is beginning to do this to the other babies, too, and it's driving me nuts.

I'm beginning to think I need to put him in a play yard when he gets like this, if for no other reason than to keep the other kids safe from him lol.
momma2girls 11:04 AM 03-02-2010
I start timeouts at age 2, or they are not going to get the just of it. I guess very few will at that age.
tenderhearts 11:55 AM 03-02-2010
The 15 mo old her time out consists of after 3 or 4 times I say ok little time out and I have her sit beside me for 1 minute, I wouldn't normally do it but her parents do it for her hitting her sister as well so I figured since she hits alot I'd do it, she doesn't sit in the normal "timeout" spot, but usually if that doesn't work a minute sitting by me away from the kids then usually it means nap time for her anyways. But putting them in a playpen would in my opinion be the same as a time out just more confined, the same message is being sent, I suppose if the child doesn't understand sitting there I could understand at that age but this particular child stays next to me for the minute.
TGT09 12:27 PM 03-02-2010
Both parents of DCG and previous DCB were told by their PED at 12 months to start disciplining on a small levels.
Carole's Daycare 11:17 AM 03-03-2010
I have a 19 month old that I started time outs 1 month ago with. He has a very volatile temper. Generally I use verbal reminders and intervene when he's being agressive, taking toys etc, since, honestly, that is developmentally appropriate and to be expected. The temper fits at the slightest provocation, however, are not tolerated. I started by saying- "no Fits at Carole's house" and putting him in the playpen. After a couple weeks of that, all I have to do is ask him if he needs to go to the playpen, or will he stop screaming. Within moments he has stopped the fit. He understands me and understands that throwing a fit whenever I say no or whenever another child will not let go of the toy he's trying to take is unacceptable, so now if he starts in I send him to the corner for a few moments and he calms himself. In fact- if he starts a fit and I say something- he heads toward the corner! lol! and I usually tell him he doesn't need to go there if he can quit throwing a fit. I really believe emotional control, or lack thereof, is a large determining factor in lifelong success.
Tags:start time, temper tantrums
Reply Up