Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-09-2015, 10:04 PM
Preschool/daycare teacher's Avatar
Preschool/daycare teacher Preschool/daycare teacher is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: N/A
Posts: 635
Default What do you do when you don't want to enroll potential family

I met with dcd this week and I'm supposed to meet with the mom next week. They haven't actually told me they want me to care for their son, but I'm getting that impression. Dcb (20 months old) came with dad this week when he came, and going by just the few minutes they were here, I'm not sure I think dcb would be a good fit. He seems well behaved (but it's hard to tell without him being here longer and with other children to play with too) and his hours would be perfect. I couldn't ask for a better schedule. And he'd be full time which would be so nice! I just can't quite put my finger on it, but I'm not sure he'd be a good fit. So if mom comes next hopefully that will give me another opportunity to see how he does, but if I meet with her and she decides she would like me to be his childcare provider and I don't think I do want to, how do I tell her I'm choosing not to enroll him? She had a post up on a facebook page looking for childcare, so I let her know I had a couple openings, and it went from there. So since she's on facebook and that's my primary way to advertise for free right now (and I've had the most success with it than any other way I've advertised), she will know if I don't fill that opening with someone else.
I'm looking for actual wording that you would use, and what I can say during the interview to let her know that just because I'm interviewing with her doesn't mean I'm going to take him if she decides to go with me.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-09-2015, 11:32 PM
Controlled Chaos's Avatar
Controlled Chaos Controlled Chaos is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,128
Default

2 options I see

1. 2 week trial period. Maybe they will be great. And if not, you can terminate.
2. Tell her "thank you for your interest in my program. Unfortunately, I cannot offer you a spot at his time. I wish you all day he best on your search for childcare"

There is a better way to word #2...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-10-2015, 02:58 AM
childcaremom's Avatar
childcaremom childcaremom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,969
Default

I have one family right now where mom is interested but after reading her email I am not.

So I am planning on telling her that while I appreciate her interest in my program, I don't think that I can meet her needs at this time. Or that while I appreciate her interest in my program, I don't think I would be a good fit for her family.

I am leaning towards option 1.

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-10-2015, 08:46 AM
Laurel's Avatar
Laurel Laurel is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher View Post
I met with dcd this week and I'm supposed to meet with the mom next week. They haven't actually told me they want me to care for their son, but I'm getting that impression. Dcb (20 months old) came with dad this week when he came, and going by just the few minutes they were here, I'm not sure I think dcb would be a good fit. He seems well behaved (but it's hard to tell without him being here longer and with other children to play with too) and his hours would be perfect. I couldn't ask for a better schedule. And he'd be full time which would be so nice! I just can't quite put my finger on it, but I'm not sure he'd be a good fit. So if mom comes next hopefully that will give me another opportunity to see how he does, but if I meet with her and she decides she would like me to be his childcare provider and I don't think I do want to, how do I tell her I'm choosing not to enroll him? She had a post up on a facebook page looking for childcare, so I let her know I had a couple openings, and it went from there. So since she's on facebook and that's my primary way to advertise for free right now (and I've had the most success with it than any other way I've advertised), she will know if I don't fill that opening with someone else.
I'm looking for actual wording that you would use, and what I can say during the interview to let her know that just because I'm interviewing with her doesn't mean I'm going to take him if she decides to go with me.
I would just tell them that I have some other interviews to do for the spot (even if you don't). Tell them you will let them know once you decide. You can always say that someone else's hours or the age of their child was a better fit for your program.

Laurel
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-10-2015, 08:52 AM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

I never offer a spot until I am sure that it will work out. If I don't feel like it will I go with the replies above. I also have a trial period just in case.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-10-2015, 12:28 PM
littletots's Avatar
littletots littletots is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: ohio
Posts: 373
Default

I say same as above, give names of area providers who have asked me to pass on their names.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-10-2015, 06:21 PM
Meeko's Avatar
Meeko Meeko is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 4,256
Default

I always say I am interviewing interested families and will make my decision as to which family I am taking by such-and-such date. It's win-win because I don't feel obligated to a family just because they say they want a place here....and if I DO take the family, they tend to behave better because they know I have choices and they have not hired me. I chose THEM and I can UN-choose them!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-10-2015, 06:28 PM
Preschool/daycare teacher's Avatar
Preschool/daycare teacher Preschool/daycare teacher is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: N/A
Posts: 635
Default

Thank you for all the responses. Those are helpful : ) But what I'm stuck at is that she'll know if I continue advertising for that spot. So she'll know I didn't fill it with someone else Any ideas for that?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-10-2015, 06:34 PM
childcaremom's Avatar
childcaremom childcaremom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher View Post
Thank you for all the responses. Those are helpful : ) But what I'm stuck at is that she'll know if I continue advertising for that spot. So she'll know I didn't fill it with someone else Any ideas for that?
I am saying exactly what I said above. That I can't meet their needs or that it wouldn't be a good fit. It is truthful and I will still advertise for the spot.

If someone isn't a good fit, I don't see the harm in telling them that politely and in a professional manner. And I certainly would not want to waste my time with another meeting. You could tell them that after consideration, that you don't feel that your program would be a good fit for their needs. If you have someone else that you can refer them to, I would maybe do that, but if you feel like the vibe is really off, I would offer them the number to call for a referral.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-13-2015, 08:52 PM
jgcp's Avatar
jgcp jgcp is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 135
Default

I would definetly tell her a two week trial period for both of you and if you advertise in that time and she brings it up say you always like to have a waiting list just in case good luck
__________________
Azchildcarepvdr
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-14-2015, 11:01 AM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,960
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher View Post
Thank you for all the responses. Those are helpful : ) But what I'm stuck at is that she'll know if I continue advertising for that spot. So she'll know I didn't fill it with someone else Any ideas for that?
I have flat out told a family this:

"it was so wonderful seeing your family and your beautiful boys, unfortunately I am not sure they will be a good fit for my program so I have chosen not to enroll them. Good luck in your search and all the best"

Then ignore.

They will ask you why? They will try and call and email you....it is always best to ignore so they have no real explanation as to why they were rejected. If you wait for the trial period to reject you have to build a case and give a reason which can be difficult if it is just something odd about the kid.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-16-2015, 01:13 PM
AnythingsPossible's Avatar
AnythingsPossible AnythingsPossible is offline
Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by childcaremom View Post
I have one family right now where mom is interested but after reading her email I am not.

So I am planning on telling her that while I appreciate her interest in my program, I don't think that I can meet her needs at this time. Or that while I appreciate her interest in my program, I don't think I would be a good fit for her family.

I am leaning towards option 1.

Hope that helps!

This! My mom says it is my go to for everything, and I suppose it is, but when I have a family interview that I don't think will work, I simply tell them I don't feel it would be a good fit.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Closing - What I Wish I Could Say to One Family Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 9 07-19-2014 12:24 PM
Are You Super Upfront With Denying A Family? E Daycare Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 8 10-04-2012 08:14 PM
New DCP With Needy Family...Advice Please! Logged out for privacy Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 27 09-14-2012 08:36 AM
Family Daycare, Daycare Center, or what? SDMom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 1 08-05-2008 11:13 AM
Understanding Family Daycare Regulations Joni Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 1 03-12-2008 04:23 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:42 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming