Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back Forum > Daycare and Taxes

Daycare and Taxes All things related to Taxes and running a Daycare post here. Topics of tax exemptions, forms, filings, tax write offs, IRS etc.

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2016, 09:09 PM
AnythingsPossible's Avatar
AnythingsPossible AnythingsPossible is offline
Daycare Member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 801
Default Just to Vent....

So I have been working on my taxes this evening. Our son is no longer considered a dependent as he is 19 and away at college in the eyes of the IRS and as they do not consider him a dependent we can not deduct any of his education expenses that we help him pay. By not being able to claim him as dependent we lose a deduction and have lost the ability to claim his education expenses creating a 3,000 tax bill we now owe the IRS.
The interesting thing to me in this is that we can not claim him but he is required to claim our income for FAFSA purposes. In my opinion if the government wants to claim my money in regards to his schooling I should be able to claim him in regards to money the government wants from me. But the government does not agree!
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:34 PM
KarenSue's Avatar
KarenSue KarenSue is offline Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 83

My twin daughters are 19 and away at college. My husband does our taxes but I'm pretty sure we claim them.
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:15 AM
nanglgrl's Avatar
nanglgrl nanglgrl is online now Member
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,644

Yes college is considered a temporary absence and they can still be a least I think
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:30 AM
Posts: n/a

I agree with the previous posters. Here are the temporary absence guidelines:
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:45 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now Member
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,815

As long as your ds is in college ft yes, I believe you can claim him!! Both my dds went to college and I claimed them until they stopped going ft.(One chose pt her last semester) Then they both moved away and now I can't claim them of course and wow, what a difference!
Who does your taxes??? I'd fight that one unless there's something else we don't know but I completely agree with the pps.

Oops, just saw that you're doing them yourself. But yes, you can claim him!!
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:52 PM
AnythingsPossible's Avatar
AnythingsPossible AnythingsPossible is offline
Daycare Member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 801

Thanks everyone. When going through the initial steps, it asked if he lived with us full time or temporary and I put temporary as he didn't live with us. After reading your posts I went back in and looked further. I was taking it to literal! So I fixed it and he is now claimed as a dependent! Thanks again!
Reply With Quote

deduction - college expenses, taxes, vent

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions for Californians and a Vent missjenny Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 8 09-26-2012 08:03 PM
Vent Vent Vent katie Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 4 09-17-2010 06:44 PM
I'm not a doormat! vent vent vent mitcheaa Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 2 05-30-2009 12:35 PM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:44 AM.         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming