Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:23 AM
Daycare Member

Default Advice Please!

Good morning ladies! Haven't been on here in a long while, but had an issue this morning that only you ladies can help me with.
I have a DCM who is quite heavy. Yesterday at drop off her little girl was poking her tummy and she said "Don't poke Mommie's fat." Today at drop off, a little boy that I have with 0 social skills says to her--"Your fat!"--then proceeds to tell her little girl, "your mom is really fat!"
I told her that he was saying that because of what was said yesterday at drop off, because he asked her yesterday if she was fat after she asked her daughter not to poke her. I feel like I should send her an apology message for his lack of social etiquette, but also fear that it would be insulting if I did apologize for him, if that makes sense. Anyone have thoughts on this??
Old 04-09-2014, 10:32 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible View Post
Good morning ladies! Haven't been on here in a long while, but had an issue this morning that only you ladies can help me with.
I have a DCM who is quite heavy. Yesterday at drop off her little girl was poking her tummy and she said "Don't poke Mommie's fat." Today at drop off, a little boy that I have with 0 social skills says to her--"Your fat!"--then proceeds to tell her little girl, "your mom is really fat!"
I told her that he was saying that because of what was said yesterday at drop off, because he asked her yesterday if she was fat after she asked her daughter not to poke her. I feel like I should send her an apology message for his lack of social etiquette, but also fear that it would be insulting if I did apologize for him, if that makes sense. Anyone have thoughts on this??
How old is the dcb? Does he realize that telling someone they are fat isn't nice? I would have gently corrected him when it happened (being firmer if he kept up) I would not say any more to the dcm about it. I would, however, implement a basic social skills theme/curriculum to try to get ALL the kids more aware of being kind/ using kind words, etc.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Care View Post
How old is the dcb? Does he realize that telling someone they are fat isn't nice? I would have gently corrected him when it happened (being firmer if he kept up) I would not say any more to the dcm about it. I would, however, implement a basic social skills theme/curriculum to try to get ALL the kids more aware of being kind/ using kind words, etc.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:47 PM
Daycare.com Member

I would probably have given the DCM one of those conspiratorial adult "Oh, the things kids say, haha," looks (I'm fat myself, though). As for DCB, I would have said something like, "Johnny, it's not nice to comment on other people's bodies that way," and encouraged him to run along and play trucks, or whatever. If he kept it up anyway, we'd have a chat about it after the mom had gone.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:51 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessRavenwaves View Post
I would probably have given the DCM one of those conspiratorial adult "Oh, the things kids say, haha," looks (I'm fat myself, though). As for DCB, I would have said something like, "Johnny, it's not nice to comment on other people's bodies that way," and encouraged him to run along and play trucks, or whatever. If he kept it up anyway, we'd have a chat about it after the mom had gone.
You are not fat.

You HAVE fat.

You HAVE fingernails.

You are not fingernails.

(I saw this somewhere else and loved it so thought I'd share)
Old 04-10-2014, 03:11 AM
Home Daycare Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
You are not fat.

You HAVE fat.

You HAVE fingernails.

You are not fingernails.

(I saw this somewhere else and loved it so thought I'd share)
This made me smile