Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-16-2015, 11:25 AM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,960
Default Christmas get together? ideas?

I know a lot of you do something a little special for your families during Christmas and I was wondering if you could help me with some ideas. I have 3 (possibly 4) families that are part-time and I was thinking about just doing a little Christmas "drop in" on the last day of care before my vacation. I thought I would serve hot chocolate and some goodies.

What do you think? what do you all do? Any ideas?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-16-2015, 11:42 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
I know a lot of you do something a little special for your families during Christmas and I was wondering if you could help me with some ideas. I have 3 (possibly 4) families that are part-time and I was thinking about just doing a little Christmas "drop in" on the last day of care before my vacation. I thought I would serve hot chocolate and some goodies.

What do you think? what do you all do? Any ideas?

Thanks
Sometimes we have doughnuts/coffee, honeybun/juice, or sometimes we have made a platter of homemade candy for parents. Just kind of an appreciation thing!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-16-2015, 11:46 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,600
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
I know a lot of you do something a little special for your families during Christmas and I was wondering if you could help me with some ideas. I have 3 (possibly 4) families that are part-time and I was thinking about just doing a little Christmas "drop in" on the last day of care before my vacation. I thought I would serve hot chocolate and some goodies.

What do you think? what do you all do? Any ideas?

Thanks
You could have a little "decorate and take" station set up.
(Unfrosted sugar cookies and a bunch of fun decorating items)

A table with photos arranged to show your DCF's what life at daycare is like when the parents are off working.

Pin the red nose on Rudolph activity planned

A Candy Cane hunt game

A "Guess how many bows/ribbons are in the jar" guessing game

Hire a Santa to come read the "Night Before Christmas"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-16-2015, 11:58 AM
AnythingsPossible's Avatar
AnythingsPossible AnythingsPossible is offline
Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
You could have a little "decorate and take" station set up.
(Unfrosted sugar cookies and a bunch of fun decorating items)

A table with photos arranged to show your DCF's what life at daycare is like when the parents are off working.

Pin the red nose on Rudolph activity planned

A Candy Cane hunt game

A "Guess how many bows/ribbons are in the jar" guessing game

Hire a Santa to come read the "Night Before Christmas"
I really like the cookie frosting idea and the guessing game. I am thinking with the guessing game you could have them win a pizza card to a local pizza shop or something along those lines.

For my group this year, I was thinking of doing an extended evening the 18th of December as I will be closed the next week. Parents can pick up later and have and evening out and we will do dinner, movie and craft with kids.

I have found with having part time people come on a different day, you either end up having to charge them or not charge anyone for the day. At the holidays I can't afford to give a day of care away to all my families.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-16-2015, 01:08 PM
Controlled Chaos's Avatar
Controlled Chaos Controlled Chaos is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,128
Default

I do a 4 hours "PJ party" the 3rd Saturday of the month. I take the kids from 4pm-8pm for just $20 and it allows parents to get their Christmas/Santa shopping done. Families have been very appreciative in the past. I usually break even on the party after treats, crafts etc but its fun and pretty easy. I also give parents a spray bottle of Shout stain remover as a gift since we get MESSY here
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-16-2015, 01:21 PM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,960
Default

Wonderful ideas everyone!! I especially like the idea of Santa coming to read a story.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-16-2015, 04:04 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I do a potluck gathering with current and past families. I found a lot of my current families are from referrals from past families so this is a way for me to also thank them for spreading positive words about my daycare. Depending on the ages of children coming, I have had jumping castles, magicians, gymnastics, or sing-a-long entertainment. Sometimes I have a simple activity like decorating cookies or a simple art activity to do before the entertainment arrives. The families bring different food to share. It has been a hit every year. I usually do it on a weekend before I go on my winter break. It sounds like a lot of work, but it is not, I like simple and easy (I don't even decorate, just set up tables & chairs), and the families know they are completely responsible for their child the entire time.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-16-2015, 05:10 PM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,815
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
Wonderful ideas everyone!! I especially like the idea of Santa coming to read a story.
This is what I did last year. I asked parents if they could come a little before 3:00; that's when Santa was scheduled to arrive. He came, handed out candy canes and a present for each child(I had secretly hid a big bag of wrapped gifts outside before he arrived), then read Twas The Night Before Christmas to the kids, followed by lots of pictures. After he left we had fruit/cheese tray, punch and cookies. Everyone was gone by 5 or so.
Short, sweet, simple and the dcfs seemed to like it too.
I loathe get-togethers. Well, not so much the event itself, the anticipation makes me a nervous wreck and I second-guess every single thing I should or shouldn't do.
I kind of like the idea of offering to take the kids for an afternoon some weekend close to Christmas, turn it into a party for the kids. Not sure though.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-16-2015, 05:12 PM
LysesKids's Avatar
LysesKids LysesKids is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I do a potluck gathering with current and past families. I found a lot of my current families are from referrals from past families so this is a way for me to also thank them for spreading positive words about my daycare. Depending on the ages of children coming, I have had jumping castles, magicians, gymnastics, or sing-a-long entertainment. Sometimes I have a simple activity like decorating cookies or a simple art activity to do before the entertainment arrives. The families bring different food to share. It has been a hit every year. I usually do it on a weekend before I go on my winter break. It sounds like a lot of work, but it is not, I like simple and easy (I don't even decorate, just set up tables & chairs), and the families know they are completely responsible for their child the entire time.
I do the same only it's a 3 hr open house the 2nd Sunday in December every year; it's my thank you for using me to all the families ( FT/PT & Drop-ins). I offer a buffet of fix your own sandwiches, chips/dip, fruit/veggie platter & desserts. Cold beverages are on ice in a cooler lol. This is also when I give out the homemade gifts to the babies. My house is decorated no differently than regular Holiday stuff
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-16-2015, 05:37 PM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,960
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiegirl View Post
This is what I did last year. I asked parents if they could come a little before 3:00; that's when Santa was scheduled to arrive. He came, handed out candy canes and a present for each child(I had secretly hid a big bag of wrapped gifts outside before he arrived), then read Twas The Night Before Christmas to the kids, followed by lots of pictures. After he left we had fruit/cheese tray, punch and cookies. Everyone was gone by 5 or so.
Short, sweet, simple and the dcfs seemed to like it too.
I loathe get-togethers. Well, not so much the event itself, the anticipation makes me a nervous wreck and I second-guess every single thing I should or shouldn't do.
I kind of like the idea of offering to take the kids for an afternoon some weekend close to Christmas, turn it into a party for the kids. Not sure though.
How did the kids do with Santa? I don't want them crying in fear I was also thinking about having a face painter but the kids are 2.5, 2, 20 months and 18 months....not sure they'd sit still.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-16-2015, 05:48 PM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,815
Default

With Santa, they were really hesitant about sitting on his lap until my cute-as-a-button 3 yo dcg walked right up and sat with him. Since she survived most of the others dared as well. Nobody was forced and all the parents were right there with them. Plus candy canes were involved.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DCF Christmas Ideas Baby Beluga Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 19 10-31-2014 02:54 PM
Need Some Christmas Themed Toy Ideas Lianne Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 12 11-26-2013 07:47 PM
Christmas Craft Ideas spud912 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 11 11-25-2013 08:34 AM
Game Ideas For Our Christmas Party This Friday? kitykids3 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 2 02-28-2013 04:53 AM
Ideas for Singing and Giving Gifts at a Nursing Home for Christmas susanpierce124 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 5 11-15-2010 02:16 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:50 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming