Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>"I Think We'll Let Her Aunts Watch Her This Summer..So We Can Save Some Money"
youretooloud 10:58 AM 04-14-2011
Technically they are giving me plenty of notice. She won't leave until the end of May. Her sisters will apparently be providing free childcare, so this is neat-o for them.

BUT.... seriously? She thinks I'm just going to hold a spot open for her all summer long?

She didn't ASK if I'll hold it... she just told me she'll be back in August.

LMBO!! As we speak, I am working on filling that spot. I'll tell her if she asks me, but otherwise, I'll let her know in August...

Or is that just too unprofessional?
dEHmom 11:03 AM 04-14-2011
Advise her that if she would like to return in August, a holding fee is required to maintain the spot. Or you will be advertising for the spot.

I just think if she is expecting to be back and you never said otherwise, you are creating a bad situation.
momatheart 11:04 AM 04-14-2011
Well when she assumes she makes an ass out of u and me. Let her assume she has her spot in August.

You have this in your hand book right that you don't hold spots or you fill empty spots once a child vacates their spot?
Then if you have something along those lines then I wouldn't tell her I would wait until August and say well it is in the handbook.

I just get so irritated with parents who just assume all the time and think they can come and go as they please.

You could let her know especially if she is a good client.
Lilbutterflie 11:07 AM 04-14-2011
I think I would let dcm know that you may not have a spot available in August. Perhaps if you are willing to offer a holding fee for holding the spot all summer, you may be able to work something out with her. I have an extended leave policy for full-timers that if they are gone for 2-12 weeks for any reason, they pay half price to hold the spot. They are welcome to bring their child up to two days per week while paying half price. Maybe the two of you could sit down and work something out? Otherwise, just tell her she's welcome to leave for the summer, and if you happen to have an opening in August you'd be glad to take her back.
momatheart 11:09 AM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I think I would let dcm know that you may not have a spot available in August. Perhaps if you are willing to offer a holding fee for holding the spot all summer, you may be able to work something out with her. I have an extended leave policy for full-timers that if they are gone for 2-12 weeks for any reason, they pay half price to hold the spot. They are welcome to bring their child up to two days per week while paying half price. Maybe the two of you could sit down and work something out? Otherwise, just tell her she's welcome to leave for the summer, and if you happen to have an opening in August you'd be glad to take her back.
This sounds fair.
daycare 11:10 AM 04-14-2011
ditto on this..
I have in my PHB that planned extended leave is for one month. Full time children may attend up to 2 days a week during this time. This option is not available to part timers.

If they don't pay to hold the spot, then it goes to the next in line....
youretooloud 11:14 AM 04-14-2011
I'll probably let her know that I plan to fill her spot.

SHe's only 2 days a week. The other three days she gets free childcare from different relatives. The problem for THEM, is there are no other young kids for her to play with. So, she'll be bored.

But, I'm surprised that she thinks that $50 a week is fine for me to give up in the summer!

I guess I wouldn't be so annoyed except EVERY time this child is sick (even really, really sick) they drug her up, put her in the car and rush her over to me so she infect all the other kids. She's gotten three bad viruses this winter, and then spread it to the other kids each time. MOm says "well, that's how daycare is, one kid gets it, then all the other kids get it"
dEHmom 11:17 AM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
MOm says "well, that's how daycare is, one kid gets it, then all the other kids get it"
I HATE THAT! While there is some truth to it, it doesn't have to be that way, if only every respected each other and the sick policies.
daycare 11:22 AM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I'll probably let her know that I plan to fill her spot.

SHe's only 2 days a week. The other three days she gets free childcare from different relatives. The problem for THEM, is there are no other young kids for her to play with. So, she'll be bored.

But, I'm surprised that she thinks that $50 a week is fine for me to give up in the summer!

I guess I wouldn't be so annoyed except EVERY time this child is sick (even really, really sick) they drug her up, put her in the car and rush her over to me so she infect all the other kids. She's gotten three bad viruses this winter, and then spread it to the other kids each time. MOm says "well, that's how daycare is, one kid gets it, then all the other kids get it"
oh man let her go....lol that stinks..

I have a situaion right now that I am fighting with. I have a family that has two kids currently enrolled. Mom is going to have another baby and will take about 12 weeks of leave from her job. her kids are only here 3 days a week as it is. She calls to tell me that she wants them to come only two days a week during her leave becuse she cant afford to have them come the third day while out.
So basically she is telling me hey since I am getting a pay cut so are you......

What I am having an even harder time with is that they want the new baby to come to the DC. They know that I don't offer services to children under 18 months of age.
I thought about adding an assistant so that they could watch the little baby, but I am not sure that I really want to do that right now. I just dont want to lose sight of why I have my DC. Which is to teach preschool... My house is not that big and i just cant see accomidating a baby. I am not set up for babies......

I just don't understand why they think that just because they need a $ break that we should just suck it up and leave them a spot for when they NEED to come back....gggeeerrr
jen 11:30 AM 04-14-2011
LOL! People just don't think! Just to be nice (and to avoid a conflict later on) I would simply say somthing along the lines of...

"Hey, I totally understand that so and so is going to watch the kids this summer! Heck, everyone wants to save money. We'll miss you guys! Give me a call in the fall, if I have a spot available, I'd love to have her back."
youretooloud 11:34 AM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
LOL! People just don't think! Just to be nice (and to avoid a conflict later on) I would simply say somthing along the lines of...

"Hey, I totally understand that so and so is going to watch the kids this summer! Heck, everyone wants to save money. We'll miss you guys! Give me a call in the fall, if I have a spot available, I'd love to have her back."

That's perfect!
mac60 11:53 AM 04-14-2011
I don't think I would give the option of coming back in the fall if they refuse to pay to hold the spot. That to me is really working the system on the parents end. Here they would either pay to hold the spot or be done for good.
Symphony 11:54 AM 04-14-2011

I like this too! It is direct, compassionate, but still takes care of YOUR needs. I honestly do not think everyone realizes holding a spot is an issue. I hadn't even thought of it myself as a provider until I had my first teacher family ask me how summers work. It had never crossed my mind! I like to give families that same benefit of the doubt.
Lucy 01:08 PM 04-14-2011
On their last day I would let them know to call prior to August to check if you've filled the spot yet. I would not offer to hold it for a fee, because the fee will NOT be full fee, and then you'd lose the opportunity to fill it with someone who WILL pay full fee.
momatheart 03:04 PM 04-14-2011

Yes this good. I like this.
morgan24 03:11 PM 04-14-2011
I would go with what Jen said. It's short, sweet and to the point.
Unregistered 04:11 PM 04-14-2011
"Sorry..that doesn't work for me...you may feel free to call me a couple of weeks before you require care again but please don't "assume" that the space will still be open...I actually doubt if it will be since while you are busy "saving" money, I need to be busy MAKING it!"
Meeko 06:20 PM 04-14-2011
I once had a mom (who I love dearly) say something similar to me. She told me things were a bit tight money-wise and her husband's teenage sister was coming to stay with them for the summer and she would watch the kids.....but could I please, please, please take them back in the fall.

I asked her this.

What if your supervisor at work came to you and said "Things are a bit tight for the company right now and the boss's daughter is willing to do your job for free. So we want you to go home and sit and wait until we call you back. Unpaid of course. Don't get another job tho', because we want you back at our convenience as soon as the boss's daughter decides to leave."

She turned bright red and threw her arms around my neck and hugged me. She told me she was sooo embarrassed and had not thought of it like that. They paid me full price all summer. Her kids are grown now and we are very close friends. But it made me see that sometimes people just don't think.......so I lay it out there for them!!!
Unregistered 06:25 PM 04-14-2011
I would tell her your plan or offer her to keep her in care to keep her spot. I would also be hesitant to take her back as I am sure the disicpline/routine will be much different when she is at aunties. I have had trouble with this in the past and it usually turns out no matter how much you need the cash not to be worth taking someone back after a break like that.
mac60 06:45 PM 04-14-2011
I offer a 1/2 rate to hold spots for teachers/maternity leaves, etc. I would much rather hold a spot for a family for 2 months and lose some income, than have to advertise, interview, etc. Especially if the family is a good family with no problems. I just don't think it is right for parents to assume we will take them back at their whim.
Tags:holding spot
Reply Up