Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Are These Red Flags For You?
childcaremom 06:44 AM 02-26-2015
I am reopening and while I would like to fill up quickly, I am not desperate for children and can afford to be picky with famillies.

I had an interview the other day and need some input.

Boy is just over 2 and would be coming from a centre. I am legally unliscensed and operating out of my home.

Backstory: I have my background checks, etc. Rest of my family does not (not required) and they will NOT be home while daycare is operating. Parents have a tour of my home and daycare area during interview but do not have access to my house after that. I will meet child at door and bring child to parent at pick up. My door is locked at all times. (Had problems with previous parents wandering my house )

Child seems comfortable enough. Exploring toys. Trying to climb on table to see fish. Parents didn't correct. Wouldn't stay in daycare area (opening door, leaving, not listening to parents telling him to come back).

Parents questioned about my paperwork, etc. Then asked about hubby having background check done. I said he did not and explained that he is not home and would not ever be watching the children. Parent asked why he doesn't. I explained why again. Parent said that it seemed strange and thought that he should have it done. It has never come up before so I just explained again that he is not home and would not be watching the children.

Mom says that they are really happy with centre but the commute doesn't work anymore. They really liked having webcams for security.

Child was a biter. Was not addressed by centre until parents became concerned about it. Once their concerns were brought to light, the biting stopped.

At good bye time, child ran out the door without waiting for parent, despite being told to wait, and mom had to chase him.

So. Too many red flags? Or am I being too picky?

The background check is not a deal breaker for me. I have not ever had anyone ask about this before and am not legally required to ensure this is done. Hubby could get this done so not a big deal in my book.

Biting? I am leaning towards child not being properly supervised. I told parents that I don't tolerate it and have had success at stopping it at one incident. they told me that it stopped when they raised their concerns with the centre. I am not overly concerned about this as I know my tolerance of this type of behaviour and if it happened within his transition period would terminate immediately.

Webcams? Is this parent going to be happy being stopped at the door? If they can't trust me, this isn't going to work.

Discipline? This is such a huge thing for me. If child doesn't listen to parents, will he listen to me? I had a child behave like this at an interview before, accepted him thinking I could set the environment here, and it was disastrous.

After the interview, my initial gut reaction was no way. They emailed me last night indicating that they were interested and now I am wondering if I am being too picky?

Also, they are friends with another provider, who emailed me as well last night, to see how things were going and how my interview with them went.

Small town, everyone knows everyone kind of situation here.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Tags:centre to home based care, interview behaviour, red flags
Up