Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My Child Was Hurt And I Wasn't Called!!
Unregistered 07:09 PM 06-07-2012
(DCP logged out for privacy)

My child took a bad fall at preschool, from about 6 feet up. A concussion is likely and its painful for her to turn her head due to muscle damage in her neck. She is home resting now.

Accidents happen, and I'm not blaming anyone for her fall, but I am really bothered by the way they handled it. When I went to get her at pick time they told me she fell but that they figured she was ok since she stopped crying after 15 minutes (!!) Her face was still red and swollen from crying. They kept saying how scary it was, but they didn't call me or the NurseLine. I took her right over to the hospital to get checked over. Later I found out where she had fallen from and was horrified!!

I need to address this with them and don't know what to say. I don't know if I want to take her back! I don't know if I can trust their judgement now! Am I overreacting? WWYD?
Breezy 07:26 PM 06-07-2012
I would be sooooooooooo angry!!!!!!! That is ridiculous you werent called immediately so YOU could decide if she was ok or not!
jen 08:48 PM 06-07-2012
Honestly, a call to licensing is in order. There shouldn't even be the possibility of a 6 foot fall and there is not excuse in the world good enough for not calling you.
Meyou 01:57 AM 06-08-2012
Oh my goodness! They were totally wrong not to call you. A head injury should never be treated so lightly.
DaisyMamma 04:02 AM 06-08-2012
Originally Posted by jen:
Honestly, a call to licensing is in order. There shouldn't even be the possibility of a 6 foot fall and there is not excuse in the world good enough for not calling you.
I would be furious!
I had a kid.fall 2 feet and I called mom, eventhough I thought he was being dramatic, because it was his head. He was being dramatic, but how do you really know.
6 feet is VERY high
Unregistered 04:25 AM 06-08-2012
I lurk here because I love you ladies and have learned so much valuable info from you. I am not a daycare provider but I used to be but I am a parent of 5 children and my daughter fell the other day and sustained a concussion. My friend was holding her and I was in line to pay and it was a freak accident. She fell about twice her height. She's 17 months old. I was crying, my friend was crying. My friend was trying to prevent my son from grabbing something and lost control of my daughter. It was no one's fault. We immediately rushed her to the er. She did not cry. My daughter's balance is off and she has lasting effects as of now. Your daycare was ABSOLTELY neglegent. How dare they not think to call you, her mother. I would absolutely call licensing as the others have suggested. I hope she's ok but please watch her closely. Concussions are so scary.
MizzCheryl 04:36 AM 06-08-2012
They should have called you immediately!!
You are not over reacting!!
A fall like that needs to be addressed. Any injury needs to be reported to mom unles it is very minor.
15 minutes is along time to cry over an injury. 1 to 5 minutes would be minor depending on the child.
You are entrusing your child to them and you need to feel comfortable when you leave that she is safe. Accidents can happen but you need to be notified.

I would talk to them and tell them exactly why you are upset!
Creek 05:24 AM 06-08-2012
My mouth seriously dropped when I read that! I CAN'T believe that you were not contacted. SIX FEET FALL!?!?! Holy geez, that is serious. Stir it up at your daycare, that is not right at all. You should have recieved a call.
GretasLittleFriends 05:35 AM 06-08-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I need to address this with them and don't know what to say. I don't know if I want to take her back! I don't know if I can trust their judgement now! Am I overreacting? WWYD?
I would state that you should have been contacted immediately and that the fall was too serious to not contact a medical professional. Explain that you brought your child to Dr and what their diagnosis was. You said something about where she fell from and being horrified, I'd bring that up too.

I cannot blame you for not wanting to bring her back. I wouldn't bring my child back. However, keep in mind if you've signed a contract you should follow proper termination procedures. Not saying you have to return with her, but do need to give them proper notice and payment because it's a signed contract. Though if brought to court, this may be a case you could win rightfully with immediate termination. I think it depends of the circumstances of the fall and the amount of supervision along with the age of the child.
saved4always 06:48 AM 06-08-2012

My child took a bad fall at preschool, from about 6 feet up. A concussion is likely and its painful for her to turn her head due to muscle damage in her neck. She is home resting now.

Accidents happen, and I'm not blaming anyone for her fall, but I am really bothered by the way they handled it. When I went to get her at pick time they told me she fell but that they figured she was ok since she stopped crying after 15 minutes (!!) Her face was still red and swollen from crying. They kept saying how scary it was, but they didn't call me or the NurseLine. I took her right over to the hospital to get checked over. Later I found out where she had fallen from and was horrified!!

I don't believe you are over-reacting. I believe our state's liscensing requires that the parent be called if there is a blow to the head. Even without that, I would personally call if a child fell from that height, especially with hitting her head. And, to me, 15 minutes is a long time for a child to cry about an injury. I would definitely call the director of the preschool to let he know that you are very distressed by how they dealt with the injury.
renodeb 06:53 AM 06-08-2012
I'am apauled at what I just read. If there is even a fraction of a doubt about whether I should call a parent when a child has a n injury I do. I cant believe you were not called righ away. And how did she fall from so high? I would call licensing or whoever you need to. The whole situation is unexceptable. Im so sorry your child was hurt and that it was handled so poorly.
Debbie
JenNJ 08:57 AM 06-08-2012
You need to raise he11, IMO. That is absolutely negligent, dangerous, and irresponsible. I would NOT return there, call the director and ream her out, followed by a call to licensing, reviews online, etc. People who are that careless with the health and well being of a child deserve to be out of business.

What did she fall from? I cannot even imagine a structure that would be allowed that would be that tall.

I am so sorry you are dealing with this and I hope she has a quick recovery.
MizzCheryl 09:18 AM 06-08-2012
How is your little girl???
Unregistered 11:02 AM 06-08-2012
She is feeling somewhat better today, playing but not much appetite yet. We are definitely gonna be taking it easy for awhile.
Kiki 12:55 PM 06-08-2012
I'm curious as of to what structure was that high? I wouldn't ever take my child back to a center where they had a fall from that height. I would follow any rules they had in place to make sure I pulled my child properly from their care, but I surely would not return.
youretooloud 02:12 PM 06-08-2012
I would be flipping out. It's one thing to fall and get hurt. It's another thing to make the decision that she's "O.K" without calling you.

I did this once when I was teaching preschool though. I didn't see the child fall, and was told she had her hands in her pockets, and fell on her face. I thought she was fine, and another preschool mom was taking care of her. (we were on a field trip.. this was before cell phones) I just let her be... I wasn't well trained either at that time.

Later on, I noticed she looked sad. So, I sat with her and asked her why she was sad. She said "I just want to go to sleep." Even THAT didn't throw up any red flags. On the drive back to school, we couldn't keep her awake. So, we called mom after we got back. (three hours later) and she had a concussion. I would not have even called the mom if the other parents hadn't been saying "Uh.. I think she's really hurt".

It's been 30 years, and I am still mortified that I did that.
youretooloud 02:15 PM 06-08-2012
Originally Posted by Kiki:
I'm curious as of to what structure was that high? I wouldn't ever take my child back to a center where they had a fall from that height. I would follow any rules they had in place to make sure I pulled my child properly from their care, but I surely would not return.
I'm wondering that as well. What on earth is six feet up? I LOVE high climbing structures, but six feet is over my head.
Hunni Bee 04:44 PM 06-08-2012
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I'm wondering that as well. What on earth is six feet up? I LOVE high climbing structures, but six feet is over my head.
we have a slide, just a regular Step 2 preschool slide, that if a child were allowed to climb to the very top of the safety bar and fell, they would have at least a six foot drop. Not excusing these people at all, and there had to have been some supervision issues here, but I see how it may have happened.
MizzCheryl 07:26 PM 06-08-2012
She is feeling somewhat better today, playing but not much appetite yet. We are definitely gonna be taking it easy for awhile.
I hope she has a good weekend.
Worries you when they lose their appetite.
I am glad she is ok.
Tags:injury report, notification
Reply Up