Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>How Do Your DCK Feel About The CACFP Changes?
AmyKidsCo 02:24 PM 10-05-2017
I've already been doing pretty much everything for years, except the sugar in yogurt thing. My usual yogurt brand just switched to 40% less sugar than before - I'm assuming due to the CACFP changes - and now my DCK won't eat yogurt anymore. I tasted it and can't blame them!
Blackcat31 02:53 PM 10-05-2017
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I've already been doing pretty much everything for years, except the sugar in yogurt thing. My usual yogurt brand just switched to 40% less sugar than before - I'm assuming due to the CACFP changes - and now my DCK won't eat yogurt anymore. I tasted it and can't blame them!
None of my DCK's have noticed any changes...

The CACFP requirements are still fairly under par to my own.

I still struggle with what the FP allows as nutritious.

As for yogurt.....I've always only served Fage' Total 0% plain greek yogurt
AmyKidsCo 03:19 PM 10-05-2017
I do Stonyfield Farm organic. I'm sure they'll get used to it eventually.
Leigh 05:07 PM 10-05-2017
I do not have one single child in my care right now who will eat whole wheat bread. Even infants throw it on the floor. They're not impressed with whole grain noodles, either. One 3 year old shouted at the table "this is disGUSTing!".

My kids will eat Pepperidge Farm Jewish Rye-at $4.26 per tiny loaf or white bread. I'm going to try replacing as much bread as possible with whole grain buns.

I'm all for eating more whole grains, but the kids are very unimpressed. I get it-it took ME many tries before I switched to whole wheat noodles for my own family. I, too, hate whole wheat bread. If I'm wasting carbs and calories on bread, I want it to be one of those dense, delicious breads that I LOVE. I know they'll eventually get used to it, but when they get white bread at home, they are unlikely to want to eat it here. I used to serve only whole grains, but a few years ago, I gave up and switched to white bread and noodles because I was sick of throwing food away. I literally threw away 90% of breakfast (whole grain blueberry pancakes) and not one kid touched their sandwich at lunch today on whole wheat bread, though it DID get them to eat more vegetables than usual!
Cat Herder 07:56 AM 10-06-2017
The menus look boring and unappetizing to parents, now, so I will just make my own. PR still matters for business.

I won't be looking for all those codes on frozen or processed foods, so I will continue to buy whole and fresh locally. If they give me grief on my farmers market sourcing I will file religious exempt, church of *I will support my local farmers and serve what I want*.

I will continue to add fresh fruit, fruit butters and/or sprinkles to the yogurts and hot cereals. I will continue to add preserves, honey or jams to the whole grain breads. I will also continue to add sauces and cheese to the pastas and flatbreads. Childhood only comes once.

They can be anxiety ridden, obsessive hand washing, calorie counting, dieting robots when they grow up.
Unregistered 11:11 AM 10-06-2017
I was ahead of the curve and have already been doing many of those things.
My current group doesn't love yogurt anyway though, so that will be interesting if I get more kids that do. I like plain yogurt but I realize it's an acquired taste.
Josiegirl 04:41 PM 10-06-2017
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I do not have one single child in my care right now who will eat whole wheat bread. Even infants throw it on the floor. They're not impressed with whole grain noodles, either. One 3 year old shouted at the table "this is disGUSTing!".

My kids will eat Pepperidge Farm Jewish Rye-at $4.26 per tiny loaf or white bread. I'm going to try replacing as much bread as possible with whole grain buns.

I'm all for eating more whole grains, but the kids are very unimpressed. I get it-it took ME many tries before I switched to whole wheat noodles for my own family. I, too, hate whole wheat bread. If I'm wasting carbs and calories on bread, I want it to be one of those dense, delicious breads that I LOVE. I know they'll eventually get used to it, but when they get white bread at home, they are unlikely to want to eat it here. I used to serve only whole grains, but a few years ago, I gave up and switched to white bread and noodles because I was sick of throwing food away. I literally threw away 90% of breakfast (whole grain blueberry pancakes) and not one kid touched their sandwich at lunch today on whole wheat bread, though it DID get them to eat more vegetables than usual!
What about whole grain pita breads or bagels/english muffins? I've tried the whole wheat buns and my dcks won't eat them. The noodles either, although I've gone 1/2 and 1/2 and they'll eat those. They have no problem with whole grain crackers but ya can't serve them every day.
I'm confused about what is whole grain and what's not. I'm sure the list is somewhere on the site. Quinoa, oatmeal, flax seed, couscous, corn meal, barley...? We do eat brown rice.
Baby Beluga 09:25 PM 10-06-2017
I have always served whole grain everything - pasta, bread, rice, oatmeal. I'm the bulk bin queen

We always do plain greek yogurt (usually store brand) and I add in organic vanilla, almond, flax seed granola and fresh fruit. My kids never mind. Occasionally I do vanilla yogurt with pumpkin for a "pumpkin pie yogurt" but otherwise it's plain here.

FWIW I am not on the food program. After joining a FB group made for DC lunches I was surprised at the number of providers who served white bread. Isn't that the same as serving a bunch of sugar? And especially before nap time.
springv 01:31 PM 10-08-2017
Our kids haven't complained, they LOVED the whole grain pancakes and the waffles. Question about yogurt, do you have to serve a different yogurt or can you serve what you've always served? We have always done yoplait go gurt for afternoon snack on Thursday with juice but when we started complying to the new regulations, we got the generic yogurt to serve instead because we thought it had to be less sugar but we looked at both nutrition labels and they are pretty much the same. What would you do?
daycarediva 03:27 AM 10-11-2017
My kids haven't noticed a difference because that is the way I have always served them. I'm a little more strict than FP- plain yogurt with honey, jam, or fruit. Two veggies at lunch, etc.

Never served a gogurt, poptart, or other highly processed junk food to daycare kids.
Leigh 07:19 AM 10-11-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
What about whole grain pita breads or bagels/english muffins? I've tried the whole wheat buns and my dcks won't eat them. The noodles either, although I've gone 1/2 and 1/2 and they'll eat those. They have no problem with whole grain crackers but ya can't serve them every day.
I'm confused about what is whole grain and what's not. I'm sure the list is somewhere on the site. Quinoa, oatmeal, flax seed, couscous, corn meal, barley...? We do eat brown rice.
Thanks-I did order WW pitas and english muffins. I don't think they'll find the muffins to be a lot different than the white ones! My kids love whole grain, multi grain crackers, for sure!
Leigh 07:23 AM 10-11-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I have always served whole grain everything - pasta, bread, rice, oatmeal. I'm the bulk bin queen

We always do plain greek yogurt (usually store brand) and I add in organic vanilla, almond, flax seed granola and fresh fruit. My kids never mind. Occasionally I do vanilla yogurt with pumpkin for a "pumpkin pie yogurt" but otherwise it's plain here.

FWIW I am not on the food program. After joining a FB group made for DC lunches I was surprised at the number of providers who served white bread. Isn't that the same as serving a bunch of sugar? And especially before nap time.
I used to serve only whole wheat bread, but none of the kids ever ate it. For years. They all refused it. I finally gave up and gave them the white bread that they get at home. I do serve Jewish Rye to them, as well, and they will all eat that.

Sugar before nap? I wouldn't worry about that. Data shows that sugar does not amp up behavior-that a parent who is simply TOLD that their child had sugar will report behavior issues, even though their child had no sugar. I did tons of research on this, and called my FP rep who sent me even more info supporting what I had read. This was because I had a parent asking me to stop giving her kids fruit because she believed the sugar in fruit caused behavior issues (the behavior was caused by abuse/neglect/ODD/living in a chaotic environment with an alcoholic/and literally being confused over who their parents were).
Josiegirl 02:46 AM 10-12-2017
Went to a food program training last night and they discussed whole grains a lot. Seems like there is a ton of confusion surrounding that requirement. I've been buying things that say 100% whole wheat but they said you have to look for the term whole grains instead. They discussed that, and yogurt in length; gave us some charts to go by which will be very helpful. They didn't even know the answers for some of our dilemmas. If THEY don't know, how will we know??
sahm1225 04:48 AM 10-12-2017
Went to a food program training last night and they discussed whole grains a lot. Seems like there is a ton of confusion surrounding that requirement. I've been buying things that say 100% whole wheat but they said you have to look for the term whole grains instead. They discussed that, and yogurt in length; gave us some charts to go by which will be very helpful. They didn't even know the answers for some of our dilemmas. If THEY don't know, how will we know??
Can you post the charts please? I keep getting mixed messages if I can serve double vegetables or if I have to serve fruit AND a veggie for lunch
Blackcat31 06:53 AM 10-12-2017
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
Can you post the charts please? I keep getting mixed messages if I can serve double vegetables or if I have to serve fruit AND a veggie for lunch
You CAN serve 2 vegetables.

This was the ONLY issue I had with the changes....I thought i HAD to serve a fruit AND a veggie and I never serve fruit for lunch and have always served 2 veggies so for me the changes weren't looking like an improvement but I did get clarification and you CAN serve 2 veggies (no fruit) but you can't serve 2 fruits and no veggies.
Blackcat31 06:59 AM 10-12-2017
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
Here is a great article on a blog by a former member here:

https://littlesproutslearning.co/new...e-made-simple/

Scroll down to right underneath the photo of the vegetables and it says: "Vegetables and fruits are divided now, so you may no longer serve two fruits for lunch or supper, it must be one of each or two veggies. A vegetable and a fruit are allowed for a snack."
daycarediva 09:48 AM 10-12-2017
I just emailed the photo with the changes to my CACFP coordinator. In training, we were told only ONE breakfast per week could have a protein instead of grain.

These kids eat WAY too many simple starches. If it IS three days a week, every M/W/F will be grain free breakfast here! Spinach egg cups, cottage cheese and fruit are favs!
Josiegirl 03:54 PM 10-12-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I just emailed the photo with the changes to my CACFP coordinator. In training, we were told only ONE breakfast per week could have a protein instead of grain.

These kids eat WAY too many simple starches. If it IS three days a week, every M/W/F will be grain free breakfast here! Spinach egg cups, cottage cheese and fruit are favs!
We were told 3x a week can be switched protein for grains at breakfast.

The 100% whole wheat has to either have whole wheat listed as 1st ingred. with water as 2nd or water 1st and whole wheat 2nd.
There was also a question about serving Rice Chex, they were saying it wasn't counted as a whole grain BUT some boxes of Rice Chex have whole grain rice listed as a 1st ingred. As I said, lots of confusion.

I have no idea how to scan and post the charts I have.

You can also serve a fruit AND veggie at snack as your required 2 components now.
hwichlaz 07:47 PM 10-12-2017
I've always served whole grains exclusively. We had to switch from Greek Gods yogurt to Mountain High. They haven't noticed.

So no discernable difference as far as they are concerned.
hwichlaz 07:49 PM 10-12-2017
List of low sugar cereals, and list of cereals that are BOTH low sugar AND whole grain.

http://www.providerschoice.com/pdfs/...eal%20List.pdf
hwichlaz 07:52 PM 10-12-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

I only serve whole grains for the grain component at breakfast so that helps. I usually add peanut butter to toast or pancakes or french toast so that it "sticks to their ribs" and is more filling so they eat less of the grain. I'm probably going to switch to eggs at least once a week. Won't do yogurt as a sub but will still use as an add-on, because the amount needed for a serving for a meal (not snack) is so much that my kids would be unable to eat it. We already use cottage cheese for snack a couple of times a week. I add a ranch packet to it and they get it to dip their veggies or pita chips in.
Mom2Two 04:39 PM 10-23-2017

What about corn or whole wheat tortillas?

I do think it would be hard to sell kids on something you hate yourself though.

All my kids love my rolls. Here's the recipe just in case you turn into a whole wheat maniac like me:

3 T sugar
3/4 salt
1 1/2 tsp instant yeast
3 C ww flour (I substitute 2 T gluten flour for 2 T of flour)
1/4 C butter (I use canola oil)
1/2 C water (if white flour) or 1/2 C + 2 T Water for WW flour (fiber soaks up water)
2 eggs

Mix, knead, rise (I use bread maker) divide dough into 12 parts (I just use a knife), rise on cookie sheet, bake 12 minutes or so.
Mom2Two 04:45 PM 10-23-2017
My kids haven't noticed anything. My family has switched to Yoplait light to make it easier for all, but for dck I usually only put it in smoothies anyway. And really, the reduced sugar kind seems sweet enough anyway.

I haven't found it too rough. I began trying to follow it over the Summer so that I wouldn't be panicking on September 30th.
Unregistered 07:54 AM 10-29-2017
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:

I serve plain yogurt with frozen berries thawed and mixed in, that way the juice from then mixes in a lot too. The kids love it! You could always blend it with berries, my DD likes it better that way.
BumbleBee 01:37 PM 10-29-2017
The only thing my dck's are slightly upset about is not being able to have their beloved raisin bran, fruity cheerios, and cinnamon life cereal at breakfast. Otherwise we haven't had to change anything, just the cereals.

They also miss their special k with strawberries. Which is funny because I can buy special k and dried strawberries separately and serve that with milk and it's claimable. But the box of special k with strawberries is a no go.
mamamanda 07:03 AM 01-11-2018
Thanks-I did order WW pitas and english muffins. I don't think they'll find the muffins to be a lot different than the white ones! My kids love whole grain, multi grain crackers, for sure!
Question for both Leigh and Josie, what kind of whole grain crackers do you use? I can't find any truly whole grain crackers other than triscuits at our local grocery stores. I can find ritz crackers with 5g of whole grain, but not 100% whole grain. I would love to find a whole grain option similar to ritz. It would be a big hit here.
Blackcat31 07:20 AM 01-11-2018
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
Question for both Leigh and Josie, what kind of whole grain crackers do you use? I can't find any truly whole grain crackers other than triscuits at our local grocery stores. I can find ritz crackers with 5g of whole grain, but not 100% whole grain. I would love to find a whole grain option similar to ritz. It would be a big hit here.
Here are a couple helpful resources

http://acdkids.org/pdf/MPC%20-%20Who...ch%20Guide.pdf

https://wholegrainscouncil.org/find-...roducts?page=4

http://www.providerschoice.com/pdfs/...ain%20Rich.pdf

https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites...inResource.pdf
Leigh 09:28 AM 01-11-2018
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
Crunchmaster, Wheat Thins, Grainsfirst, Nabisco Whole Grain Saltines, and Mary's Gone Crackers are a few brands that are whole grain.
e.j. 11:32 AM 01-11-2018
I know the questions wasn't directed toward me but I thought I'd chime in because my food program rep sent out an email message addressing the issue of whole grain crackers. She said the only whole grain crackers we can claim are Triscuits and Whole Grain Gold Fish. They're the only ones that are truly whole grain. This is quoted from the email she sent:

As you all know, you must be serving one whole grain a day. This can be whole wheat or whole grain bread, whole grain pasta, brown rice, cheerios, or oatmeal. Those are the main ones. There are only two crackers that you can claim as whole grain: goldfish and triscuits. None of the others are actually whole grain, including wheat thins! I just found this out at our meeting last week. So if you are claiming graham crackers, wheat thins, or any other crackers other than those, it will not count as a whole grain. If you claim a cracker other than triscuits or goldfish as a whole grain, you will be receiving menu errors. If you are writing out menus, please indicate whole grains by writing “WW” or “WG”, Internet claimers must click off that a bread serving is a whole grain.

You are not allowed to serve any sweet grains. This includes cookies, cakes, poptarts, cinnamon breads, etc. Graham crackers and animal crackers are allowed twice a week.

Leigh 01:17 PM 01-11-2018
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I know the questions wasn't directed toward me but I thought I'd chime in because my food program rep sent out an email message addressing the issue of whole grain crackers. She said the only whole grain crackers we can claim are Triscuits and Whole Grain Gold Fish. They're the only ones that are truly whole grain. This is quoted from the email she sent:

As you all know, you must be serving one whole grain a day. This can be whole wheat or whole grain bread, whole grain pasta, brown rice, cheerios, or oatmeal. Those are the main ones. There are only two crackers that you can claim as whole grain: goldfish and triscuits. None of the others are actually whole grain, including wheat thins! I just found this out at our meeting last week. So if you are claiming graham crackers, wheat thins, or any other crackers other than those, it will not count as a whole grain. If you claim a cracker other than triscuits or goldfish as a whole grain, you will be receiving menu errors. If you are writing out menus, please indicate whole grains by writing “WW” or “WG”, Internet claimers must click off that a bread serving is a whole grain.

You are not allowed to serve any sweet grains. This includes cookies, cakes, poptarts, cinnamon breads, etc. Graham crackers and animal crackers are allowed twice a week.
My food program rep SUGGESTED Wheat Thins! Amazing how everything is open to interpretation from program to program!
e.j. 05:52 PM 01-11-2018
My food program rep SUGGESTED Wheat Thins! Amazing how everything is open to interpretation from program to program!
I know and it's driving me just a little crazy these days! I try to feed the kids healthy meals and thought I'd have no issues with the new rules but the more the food program tries to clarify them, the more questions I seem to have!
hwichlaz 09:07 PM 01-11-2018
My Wheat Thin box says 100% whole grain right on the label. And the only grain listed on the ingredients list is Whole Grain Wheat Flour. It's also the first ingredient.
hwichlaz 09:09 PM 01-11-2018
here's the label
Attached: WIN_20180111_21_07_54_Pro.jpg (178.7 KB) 
e.j. 07:33 AM 01-15-2018
Interesting! I also just checked a list put out by the USDA listing Wheat Thins as a suggested snack. Does the box you have have a gold whole grain stamp and does it specifically say 100% on the stamp? (I see it has 100% Whole Grain on the front of the box but I'm wondering about the gold and black seal that may be on the box. Some say 100%, some don't even if it states it's whole grain on the front of the box.)
If it has the seal, I'm definitely going to question my food program rep about it. I don't usually serve Wheat Thins anyway but now I'm curious and wondering if we're getting misinformation on other things, too.
Unregistered 07:53 PM 01-16-2018
What do you do if you have a day when there ended up being no whole grain accidentally? I usually have whole grains at every meal/snack, but one day last week I only had dck here for part of the day and DH helped with lunch and gave Ritz crackers. Then there were no grains at snack time, but we only served those two meals. Do we not get reimbursed if we miss whole grains one day?
pintsize 08:58 PM 01-16-2018
My food program represents said if the first ingredient starts with the word Whole then it counts as a whole grain. I'm in Nebraska.

And to the last poster: if you miss a whole grain one day it will count as a meal warning and you will still be paid. I think it will be a warning until September, then I'm not sure but I'm guessing your most expensive meal of the day will be disallowed for not complying with regulations. I had 2 grain meal warnings last month, i even fed the kids whole grains those 5 days, i just forgot to mark it
Josiegirl 02:18 AM 01-17-2018
Originally Posted by pintsize:
My food program represents said if the first ingredient starts with the word Whole then it counts as a whole grain. I'm in Nebraska.

And to the last poster: if you miss a whole grain one day it will count as a meal warning and you will still be paid. I think it will be a warning until September, then I'm not sure but I'm guessing your most expensive meal of the day will be disallowed for not complying with regulations. I had 2 grain meal warnings last month, i even fed the kids whole grains those 5 days, i just forgot to mark it
We were told the LEAST expensive meal would be disallowed if we neglected to serve or mark whole grains one day. And we haven't been told anything about warnings until September, just that they'd give us a break in the beginning so I don't know how long that lasted or will last.
I asked my rep specifically about Triscuits and Wheat Thins and she said both were counted as WGR. I didn't ask about Goldfish because we don't have those often enough. Seriously, the dcks eat cereal for a.m. 2-3x a week here and it's either Cheerios, or Frosted Mini Wheats so those count. Most of my kiddos won't eat oatmeal unless it's highly sugared up. They also eat Rice Chex but that doesn't count, right?
So between brown rice, the cereals, WW bagels, and crackers, we get the whole grains in with no problems. They also like whole grain breads which I've always served.

I wish the rules were the exact same for everyone, then everyone would know wth to do!
hwichlaz 05:03 AM 01-17-2018
Interesting! I also just checked a list put out by the USDA listing Wheat Thins as a suggested snack. Does the box you have have a gold whole grain stamp and does it specifically say 100% on the stamp? (I see it has 100% Whole Grain on the front of the box but I'm wondering about the gold and black seal that may be on the box. Some say 100%, some don't even if it states it's whole grain on the front of the box.)
If it has the seal, I'm definitely going to question my food program rep about it. I don't usually serve Wheat Thins anyway but now I'm curious and wondering if we're getting misinformation on other things, too.
No, but whole wheat is the first ingredient.
Blackcat31 06:49 AM 01-17-2018
A whole grain is the first ingredient on the product’s ingredient list (or second after water)

All other grains listed must be whole grain or enriched.
* Whole wheat, whole corn and/or brown rice are whole grain-rich.

Additional Tips

• Enriched grains must include the word “enriched” (Ex: Enriched wheat flour)
• Ignore wheat gluten
• Ignore bran and germ
– Unless one of these is the first ingredient, in which case the product is not creditable
– Bran and germ are not whole grains
– Ex: Oat bran cereal not creditable
• Ignore everything listed as less than 2% of the product

WHOLE GRAINS

- Cracked wheat
- Oat groats
- Crushed wheat
- Rolled oats
- Whole-wheat flour
- Brown rice
- Graham flour
- Brown rice flour
- Entire-wheat flour
- Wild rice
- Bromated whole-wheat flour
- Whole rye
- Whole durum wheat flour
- Teff
- Wheat berries
- Buckwheat
- Whole barley
- Sorghum
- Dehulled barley
- Quinoa
- Whole grain barley
- Millet
- Oatmeal
- Triticale
- Amarant

NON- WHOLE GRAINS

- Wheat
- Corn
- Rye
- Barley
- White rice
- Flour
- White flour
- Wheat flour
- All-purpose flour
- Stone ground wheat flour
- Unbleached flour
- Bromated flour
- Enriched bromated flour
- Enriched flour
- Instantized flour
- Phosphate flour
- Self-rising flour
- Self-rising wheat flour
- Bread Four
- Enriched self-rising flour
- Bread flour
- Cake flour
- Durum flour
- Ground corn
- Corn grits
- Hominy grits
- Hominy
- Farina
- Semolina
- Degerminated corn meal
- Enriched rice
- Rice flour
- Couscous
- Pot barley
- Scotch barley
- Pearled barley

Bottom Line on Breads/ Tortillas: Look for 100% whole wheat bread. The majority of whole grain-rich
breads on the market are going to be marked as 100% whole wheat on the package. If it is not clearly marked on
the front of the package, it is probably not whole grain-rich.

Bottom Line on Cereals: in most cases cereals look more complicated than they are because there are
MANY Vitamins and Minerals also listed. Review the first ingredient and IF it is a whole grain, review all other
grains in the product to determine if they are whole grains or enriched. Here is a link to approved cereals:
http://www.providerschoice.com/pdfs/...eal%20List.pdf

Bottom Line on Crackers: Most packages seem to say 100% whole wheat right on the front of the
package. Most whole grain crackers appear to only have one or two grains listed on the ingredient label. Brown
rice crackers do not look to be as clearly marked on the package and will require some label reading.

Here is a super helpful link for approved foods bought from Aldi's grocery stores
http://www.providerschoice.com/pdfs/...ng%20Guide.pdf
pintsize 07:45 AM 01-17-2018
We were told the LEAST expensive meal would be disallowed if we neglected to serve or mark whole grains one day. And we haven't been told anything about warnings until September, just that they'd give us a break in the beginning so I don't know how long that lasted or will last.
I asked my rep specifically about Triscuits and Wheat Thins and she said both were counted as WGR. I didn't ask about Goldfish because we don't have those often enough. Seriously, the dcks eat cereal for a.m. 2-3x a week here and it's either Cheerios, or Frosted Mini Wheats so those count. Most of my kiddos won't eat oatmeal unless it's highly sugared up. They also eat Rice Chex but that doesn't count, right?
So between brown rice, the cereals, WW bagels, and crackers, we get the whole grains in with no problems. They also like whole grain breads which I've always served.

I wish the rules were the exact same for everyone, then everyone would know wth to do!

Thanks for the reply, that actually makes a lot of sense because when my own children are claimed for breakfast lunch snack and dinner it's the breakfast that is disallowed, the least expensive meal since they are allowed 2 meals and a snack daily
Unregistered 03:56 AM 03-21-2018
I serve an whole grain oatmeal bread from my food co op. Kids love it.

I tend to do 1/2 whole wheat 1/2 white pasta and they don't mind that.

I'm not a big whole wheat fan so my whole grains tend to be brown rice, quinoa and oars. I do 3/4 brown rice with 1/4 white rice.
I prefer the lighter tasting whole grains myself.

I serve an organic oat cereal like cheerios for our cereal mornings.

i also make a whole grain cornmeal (made from organic cornmeal from my co-op) muffins that kids love ❤️

I will try your homemade rolls recipe!

I blend ripe bananas with a little milk and about 1 T real maple 🍁 syrup and in a blender & add it to plain yogurt and it's yummy!!

I also cook organic quick oats with bananas for our oatmeal and add a little maple syrup on top and they love it.

I just found a recipe for baked berry oatmeal bars. It has a layer of mixed berries on the bottom. I'm not at home. I will look at the recipe again. I do t think there is any refined sugar in it tho.
e.j. 12:08 PM 03-21-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
No, but whole wheat is the first ingredient.
I'm glad this thread popped up again. I just had my food program inspection on Monday. I asked why we can't serve Wheat Thins when the box states they're 100% whole grain. She told me she just attended a meeting and that the decision on that was reversed. We can now serve Wheat Thins as long as it says 100% whole grain on the box. I feel like I'm going to get whiplash from all the reversed decisions they're making.

Apparently, the jury is still out on whether we can serve whole grain Ritz crackers or not. Right now, they say no but they're still discussing it.
Play Care 01:44 PM 03-21-2018
I'm glad this thread popped up again. I just had my food program inspection on Monday. I asked why we can't serve Wheat Thins when the box states they're 100% whole grain. She told me she just attended a meeting and that the decision on that was reversed. We can now serve Wheat Thins as long as it says 100% whole grain on the box. I feel like I'm going to get whiplash from all the reversed decisions they're making.

Apparently, the jury is still out on whether we can serve whole grain Ritz crackers or not. Right now, they say no but they're still discussing it.
Initially we were told no graham crackers or goldfish, but apparently some bigger centers raised a stink so now they reconsidered.
e.j. 02:23 PM 03-21-2018
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Initially we were told no graham crackers or goldfish, but apparently some bigger centers raised a stink so now they reconsidered.
I had heard that, too.

I wonder if we could get some of those bigger centers to raise a stink about some of the rules that don't make a lot of sense? Like why can we serve maple syrup (53g of sugar per 1/4 cup) with pancakes and waffles but we can't serve cinnamon bread that has only 4g of sugar per slice or even mini chocolate chip muffins at 8g of sugar each? Why are raspberries and blackberries considered choking hazards but apples, pears, nectarines, melons, etc are not?
Tags:cacfp
Reply Up