Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Batteries, Really?
SilverSabre25 12:56 PM 01-03-2012
I have very, very few battery-operated toys. Most of the ones I have are things like Little People sets that haven't run out of batteries yet...like this LP zoo that go brought out recently.

As one of TWO battery-operated noisy toys in the playroom, my dcks flock to it and the other one (a cash register) like ants to a picnic. They don't play. They sit there pounding the buttons to make the sounds...over, and over, and over. They don't stop until I tell them, "PLAY! No more buttons unless you are PLAYING with it!" and then it stops...for awhile.

I've left it out for now because I'm curious to see if the novelty wears off or if this is as crack-like as it seems. I avoid the noisy toys, although don't mind if there are a couple sound effects on some baby toys or if they use the sound as a prop to their other play...not the sound AS the play.

We're going on two weeks and the novelty has not worn off yet. I know it's not just all kids because my DD doesn't do this and never has...but all three dcks do. I sometimes watch them struggling to play with all my toys that require their involvement and participation and wonder if they are really just at a loss for how to play...if at home they really have nothing but battery-operated stupid crap that does the playing for them.
Meyou 01:54 PM 01-03-2012
Nope, it's the buttons. I have a police station, fire station, house and construction crain that all make minimal noises. The kids can press the buttons in play but if we get a repeat pusher I put it up for a bit. Anything else with buttons has been banished to the closet so long ago I can't remember when. They play much better without the instant gratification IMO.
mismatchedsocks 02:36 PM 01-03-2012
I only have a few battery operated toys out at a time, for the pounding reason. They know what they do to, push button once, ok, twice, fine, but 42 times in a row the toy gets taken downstairs to be seen in future rotation..maybe! After the second time they push it, IF they are not playing WITH it, and just pushing buttons i can see them look at me to see if i am paying attention.
Most of my things I let run out of battery and never replace.
Sunchimes 05:51 PM 01-03-2012
When I started last winter, I was on a very tight (aka no) budget for toys. I got a lot of things at yard sales. I'm not sure if people around here only buy battery toys or if they never get rid of the good toys. So, I have tons of them. Some are so irritating that they have run out of batteries and become "good toys". Some I keep charged because we really like them. I'm lucky that the noise doesn't bother me.

We play a game with them. Most have a distinct song, and the kids know which one has which song. The red ride-on plays Muffin Man, the train plays Dinah, etc. When I see the kids flagging or losing focus, I can start to sing one of the songs, and they will rush over to that toy. Then, I sing another and they all go to that toy. After a few songs, everyone seems to have found a new interest.
littlemissmuffet 08:31 AM 01-04-2012
*deleted* double post
littlemissmuffet 08:33 AM 01-04-2012
I always ask my parents of children who seemingly have no idea how to play if they have lots of battery operated toys at home... just casually. The answer is ALWAYS yes and USUALLY "All of them are, why?"
I am NEVER suprised.

We don't do battery operated toys here and I don't entertain kiddos, I teach them how to play and let them teach eachother.... usually they eventually get the hang of it.
iheartkids 10:35 AM 01-04-2012
This is ALL my son got for his first birthday! I don't mind a few but when Christmas came around I asked for more manipulative type toys. I told them my house was not big enough for all these (they are usually always bulky and don't fit on the shelf very well...I HATE toy boxes), plus they are too big to fit in a diaper bag if we were going to visit family or something PLUS I can't afford to keep them all supplied and running! Soooo what did he get for Christmas??? More battery operated toys! UGH! He did get one little wooden work bench with shapes you hammer in and he LOVES it! (and from us he got trucks, blocks, farm animals and a tent).
I will admit my daycare has a lot because I just started and my friends donated all their kids' toys to me to help me. I appreciated it (went out and bought a couple packs of batteries to get them runnin') but I hate that when the batteries die there is no use for them. Some toys all they are are a big hunk of plastic that flashes and plays music! The kids don't even DO anything with it!
wdmmom 10:55 AM 01-04-2012
I don't do battery operated toys. Or anything that makes repetitive noises. Cars, trucks, pull along toys that make noise, etc.

My kids play with blocks, cars, kitchen toys, legos, dolls, stuffed animals, etc.

I have rattles and what not for the littles but the older kids aren't allowed to play with them.

Kids are raised with tv, computers, phones, lights and sounds. Here they get more exercise playing with less stimulating toys.
Meeko 09:22 AM 01-05-2012
No battery zone!

I have plenty of toys that COULD use batteries, but they don't have any!

I found a really cute guitar at a thrift shop a while back. Perfect condition except the electronic part was busted. I put it in my playroom.

One 5 year old girl was SOOO excited to see it when she got here one morning. She tried the various buttons and looked disappointed and put it down. "It's broken" she said sadly. She looked at me like I was mad when I said "You have to use your imagination and PRETEND to play it!" They did eventually learn and have a great time with it.....but some are just conditioned to expect it to DO something!
Tags:noisy, toys - noisy, toys -with batteries
Reply Up