Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Enforce Next Year's Contract Now?
Msdunny 01:19 PM 11-19-2019
I updated my contract for next year, stating that any kids who have immunizations should do do on Friday afternoons, or be excluded from care for 48 hours. I sent home next year's updated contract the first of November because I am taking some vacation time the frist week of December and wanted to get all the information out and new contracts signed.

Fast forward to this morning. Mom of 2 of my dcgs (4 yo and 4 mo) and says they both had immunizations yesterday (Monday) afternoon after they left my care. Both girls have been sick this week, and the baby has what I suspect is pink eye.

She then proceeded to tell me that she read the new policy in my handbook, and that she will make immunization appointments on Fridays from now on.

I was so ticked, but couldn't think through the situation fast enough. My husband was surprised I didn't send the girls home, but I was thinking maybe I couldn't enforce the new policy until next year.

Nevertheless, mom has brought 2 kids with colds, pink eye, immunizations, and tells me that the baby is super fussy, was up every hour last night, and she gave her Tylenol before drop off. "Feel free to give her more when it wears off"

Am I crazy? Should I have sent home? I am not confrontational if I am not sure I am right, so I think I may have dropped the ball on this one.
Ariana 01:48 PM 11-19-2019
I exclude for symptoms and it sounds like these kids are exhibiting at least 3 exclusionary symptoms. I allow kids into care when they get their shots as long as it is not right before nap time and they do not exhibit any symptoms that I exclude for. I think this might be the better way to go! A baby up all night needing Tylenol is a sick baby..buh bye!
happymom 03:55 PM 11-19-2019
Originally Posted by Msdunny:

Fast forward to this morning. Mom of 2 of my dcgs (4 yo and 4 mo) and says they both had immunizations yesterday (Monday) afternoon after they left my care. Both girls have been sick this week, and the baby has what I suspect is pink eye.
You are not excluding for immunizations, your are excluding for ILLNESS
Jo123ABC 10:00 PM 11-19-2019
If a kid needs fever/pain medication they don't belong at daycare. I switched my policy to not administer meds at daycare unless it's life saving like an epi pen. I'd be sending at least the fussy medicated one home.
DaveA 03:43 AM 11-20-2019
I wouldn't worry about the immunizations- she's not in violation of current policy.

I would send home for the symptoms you described. Especially the infant.
Msdunny 04:36 AM 11-20-2019
Thanks everyone. Infant’s temperature went to 101.3 in the afternoon, so i called for pick up. Then mom asked if that excluded her for care today (Wednesday). Really mom? And told me the baby’s pink eye wasn’t pink eye. I DO know the difference between viral and bacterial pink eye, but a pink eye is pink eye. Period.

The problem I have is that, since she gave the Tylenol at 7 am yesterday, and then brought her to me at 7:45, I have no idea if she had medicated a fever. Ugh!! Just keep your sick kids home! Please don’t try to explain away everything illness as ‘nothing, really’.

Illness is one part of the job i really hate.
Ariana 06:08 AM 11-20-2019
Originally Posted by Msdunny:
Thanks everyone. Infant’s temperature went to 101.3 in the afternoon, so i called for pick up. Then mom asked if that excluded her for care today (Wednesday). Really mom? And told me the baby’s pink eye wasn’t pink eye. I DO know the difference between viral and bacterial pink eye, but a pink eye is pink eye. Period.

The problem I have is that, since she gave the Tylenol at 7 am yesterday, and then brought her to me at 7:45, I have no idea if she had medicated a fever. Ugh!! Just keep your sick kids home! Please don’t try to explain away everything illness as ‘nothing, really’.

Illness is one part of the job i really hate.
She will keep doing it so cracking down hard on this parent is imperative. She medicated a fever. I do not allow children to come to care with medication for any reason. If a child needs medication they are not well enough to be here.

I would let her know that you will no longer accept kids into care who are medicated. If child develops a fever at daycare they are now excluded for 48 hours. Also mom is not the boss! An eye that is pink is pink eye and is cause for exclusion, period.

I exclude for anything that is above and beyond a slight clear runny nose and a slight cough. Having to police sick kids is the worst part of this job!
LittleExplorers 06:55 AM 11-21-2019
Next time a parent gives meds before daycare, send them right back out the door. Immunizations or not. With the fever Tuesday afternoon, they would be out Wed and Thursday here.

As for the contract, if you set a date for the policies, I would wait to enforce until that date. This wasn't the issue in this case.

I am not sure if It was here or a local group I am in, but I saw a provider who had the policy if parent keeps home, it's 24 hours fever/symptom free. If provider has to send home, it's 48 hours. I don't have parents currently who push my illness rules, but If I did, I would totally add this.
Msdunny 09:07 AM 11-21-2019
Aiyiyi!! Both girls came back today, and now older sis has fever at naptime.

I.just.can’t.even.
rosieteddy 10:07 AM 11-21-2019
Call for pickup.Then tell parent see you Monday if everybody is fine Sunday.
Tags:dope and drop, illness policy
Reply Up