Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Special Needs
dave4him 06:15 PM 11-16-2011
A friend approached me about watching her 9 year old daugther who has high functioning downs. My wife and i agree im not trained enough to work with special needs. Whats the best way to explain this to my friend.
small_steps 06:18 PM 11-16-2011
I would say just what you said. I'm not trained in that area and wouldn't feel comfortable providing care. I have it in my handbook that I'm not trained or equipped to deal with special needs children. Although I wish there were more providers in this area that were trained for that. May be something to look into.
Cat Herder 06:36 PM 11-16-2011
Tell her the truth.

IME, it may be worth it for you to try. Her Mom is a wealth of knowledge and training opportunity.

You may find this child gives you a reason to wake up smiling on your worst of days.
cheerfuldom 06:46 PM 11-16-2011
Are you even willing to work with friends or family? Most experienced providers do not, and for good reason. You might consider this policy and let your friend know that that is the reason. You don't want to ruin friendships over this. Just saying "no because your child is special needs" may not be received well no matter how you say.

On the other hand, you might consider a trial run. If there are not medications, behavioral issues, etc. to consider than it could work. Perhaps you should spend some time with her first?
dave4him 06:50 PM 11-16-2011
Well for right now ill be full once i get started anyway. But since i have my niece on the list for being here i am not an experienced daycare worker yet. Maybe ill get there.
QualiTcare 07:08 PM 11-16-2011
working with a child who has "high functioning downs" doesn't really require any training. i assume the child can feed themselves, is potty trained, etc, etc. i don't see any reason not to do it, really. it would be a good experience for everyone IMO.
christinaskids 07:24 PM 11-16-2011
Ive worked with adults with special need but not too many children. With downs your biggest obstacle would be patience. The next one would be communication. If the child cant talk or communicate well, it can prove difficult until you can get to know the child. People with downs also have large tonguees and may have trouble swallowing, i am not too sure about the kids as i havent worked with downs kids, just adults. Sounds though like the child would be pretty easy, just would act a little younger than their age. I will tell you people with downs are WAY TOO EASY to get attached to and you will never regret it for one second. They are some of my favs at the agency i work at.
Meyou 02:59 AM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Tell her the truth.

IME, it may be worth it for you to try. Her Mom is a wealth of knowledge and training opportunity.

You may find this child gives you a reason to wake up smiling on your worst of days
One of my favorite people is a woman my age with downs that I met at girl guides when we were 10. We were in guides and pathfinders together (6 years) and she went on to work at the daycare my oldest attended so we kept in touch. We're facebook friends now and I still adore her. She is pure joy and happiness and can always make me smile.
Tags:down syndrome, friends/neighbors/relatives kids - risk
Reply Up