Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>First Term Ever for Nonpayment
sharlan 09:33 AM 12-01-2015
In over 30 years, I've only termed a couple of families and never for nonpayment.

Yep, you probably guessed it. I termed my single mother that I have bent over backwards to help for the past 10 months. I won't go into all the details on how I've helped them, let's just say it was a lot.

I've given her until Friday to pay the daycare fees before I file small claims court. I know that I will never get all the money that she owes me, but I guarantee that I will be aggressive as legal in obtaining it.
Blackcat31 09:45 AM 12-01-2015
Originally Posted by sharlan:
In over 30 years, I've only termed a couple of families and never for nonpayment.

Yep, you probably guessed it. I termed my single mother that I have bent over backwards to help for the past 10 months. I won't go into all the details on how I've helped them, let's just say it was a lot.

I've given her until Friday to pay the daycare fees before I file small claims court. I know that I will never get all the money that she owes me, but I guarantee that I will be aggressive as legal in obtaining it.
Aw, Sharlan...that sucks.

It's always so nice to help others but when they take advantage and mess up a good thing, it's sad.

Hopefully, she will eventually attempt to pay or at the very lease, realize she HAD a good thing and SHE ruined it.
daycarediva 09:45 AM 12-01-2015
Sorry you're dealing with that! Did she leave owing you money for services rendered?
sharlan 09:54 AM 12-01-2015
Yes and no. She owes me for the past 2 weeks. She took off a week and didn't show up this week. She hasn't responded to any texts for the past week. I put a written term notice on her car at her work yesterday and also sent her a text copy of it, so I know she got the notice. She has still not responded.

I have no idea what is going on or where the child is.

I will be taking her to small claims court. I will attach her wages with no remorse.

I have a feeling that she is planning on leaving the country before long so I may never get what she owes me, which is a lot.
daycarediva 10:00 AM 12-01-2015
That sucks Sharlan! So sorry!

I am preemptively terming a client to avoid this situation. Late payments, asking for discounts, using an unpaid sick day every week (they had 3) and having grandma keep dck. It's coming that she wont pay one week, and I don't want the hassle.

I had a single Mom that was AMAZING, she was on point, KNEW she was getting a slight discount and when tax time came, she paid me the difference! This one....not so much. Lots of extras for mom. Not very responsible with money at all.
midaycare 10:22 AM 12-01-2015
Ugh, sorry.
Ariana 11:28 AM 12-01-2015
This happened to me as well. Mom just didn't show up with the girl and I got an odd email saying she went to visit her grandma. I got no payment for that week and never did in the end. The $50 wasn't worth the legal battle for me.

Sounds like she owes you a lot more!! That really is sad and I really hope the girl is ok at least.
sharlan 08:15 AM 12-07-2015
Sadly, I've had no contact from dcm.

I am on my way to the courthouse right now to file in small claims. I don't know if I'll be able to find her to serve her, but I will try.
Preschool/daycare teacher 08:37 PM 12-07-2015
Ugh, I was hoping she had contacted you Keep us updated on how things go.
sharlan 10:23 AM 12-28-2015
I just found out that she left for Kenya.

She owes me $3300 in personal loans and almost $500 in daycare.

Her co-workers couldn't believe that she didn't tell me that she was leaving.

I put on a $400 bd party for her daughter just before she left.
Lorna 10:32 AM 12-28-2015
oh my gosh you gave her personal loans. i don't even provide care if I haven't been paid in advance.
Ariana 10:38 AM 12-28-2015
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I just found out that she left for Kenya.

She owes me $3300 in personal loans and almost $500 in daycare.

Her co-workers couldn't believe that she didn't tell me that she was leaving.

I put on a $400 bd party for her daughter just before she left.
People like this are the reason it is so important to protect yourself. She is a total scam artist
Hunni Bee 10:58 AM 12-28-2015
I figured that, if it was the same one you talked about with the little girl who was never dressed correctly, etc. I remembered you saying they were African.

You were wonderful to that little girl and made a difference in her life. Karma will deal with both you and her accordingly.
sharlan 11:40 AM 12-28-2015
Yes, I did a lot for this family. I had had them for 3 1/2 years.

I currently have 2 bags of brand new clothing that I had bought for the little girl in October.

They even ate dinner here 2 or 3 days a week until they disappeared. They sat at my table and ate, yet the dcm was getting ready to stab me in the back.
Unregistered 03:17 PM 01-02-2016
Sharlan, I do feel bad for you and I think what the mom did was wrong. In a way, you did it to yourself. You give this woman almost $5,000 dollars. If she was struggling to pay your tuition, I don't know how you thought she would pay you $3,000. This is why (even in your personal life) don't give money you can't afford to lose. Let me give you an example, I had a relative pester me and pester me recently because their spouse died. I didn't have the money to loan them. They were claiming they would use the life insurance to pay me back. Another relative gave them $10,000 from their pension at their job. Guess what, a few months later it was discovered they never had life insurance on their spouse. As I said, I do think she was wrong. However, it sounds like sour grapes to me. Maybe, because she was always around, you thought she was your friend or like family. I think you're more mad about her leaving than the money.
Unregistered 07:21 PM 01-02-2016
Never trust a client as a friend. You most certainly get stabbed in the back. Also, loans? A wise judge always says that when you loan money to friends or family, and don't have a contract, you are basically giving it to them. And if you did have a contract, the fact she fled to another country, means your contract is now void. Sorry, this sucks.
Tags:money owed, terminate - non-payment
Reply Up