Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: Do you give rates over phone/email, etc. OR only in interview
Yes, I give rates over the phone, via email or they are on my website 78 89.66%
No, I only give rates during interviews 9 10.34%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Give Rates Out Or Not?
Crazy8 04:23 AM 07-17-2012
would love to do this in poll format (does a moderator have to do that)??? Wondering how many will give rates over the phone, on their website, email, etc. and how many will only give in interview.

ETA: I think I was able to make it a poll, yay!
Blackcat31 06:13 AM 07-17-2012
I will give rates to anyone who asks (in person, on the phone, via e-mail etc) but I don't have a flat rate per hour/day/week.

Each family has a rate that depicts their needed times. For example a full time family who attends 7-5 will have a higher rate that a full time family that attends 8-3.

I try to let families know a rough estimate but explain that the rates vary based upon their individual needs.
Truly Scrumptious 06:21 AM 07-17-2012
I don't give rates over the phone...I wait until the 1st interview. I want families to meet me and hear about my program before deciding if the price is right.
Heidi 06:21 AM 07-17-2012
I do, but I prefer it be at the end of the conversation. When someone calls me, and their first question is rates, I usually think it'll probably not be a "good fit".
cheerfuldom 06:27 AM 07-17-2012
give out! no point wasting time on even a conversation if the rates arent something they can afford
Crazy8 05:15 AM 07-18-2012
when I first registered 11 years ago they told me not to give them out over the phone, I didn't for a while then I started to in order to "weed out" the ones who would waste my time with an interview but lately it seems all I'm getting is calls "fishing" for rates and I don't think they are people looking for child care at all so thinking of going back to interview only.
momma2girls 05:22 AM 07-18-2012
I have went both ways, and still wonder about both of them. If you don't give rates over the phone, then you could waste for time, cleaning, looking nice, and your time to do the interview. If you do, they could say, ok, thanks, and not schedule an interview with you. Then maybe if you are lucky though, you could defiantely weed out the ones, that cannot afford you right away.
Meeko 07:21 AM 07-18-2012
In today's economy, most folks have a strict budget. They know what they can afford.

Only a few parents can take the approach of "Price doesn't matter...I just want good care" even if that is what they would LIKE to do.

I have never had to shop for day care for my own kids. But I would hate to have to go to 5 different providers..giving up hours of my time.....only to find I couldn't afford any of them and could have found that out in a few minutes of phone calls.

I would never buy any item or any service without knowing up front what I was getting into. My time is precious to me and going from interview to interview that may not be for me would be irritating.

Can you imagine going to buy a new car, but the salesman refuses to tell you the price on the car until he's sat you down for an hour and told you all about it's gas mileage, plush seats, navigation system etc. While those things are great to know....it's a useless waste of your time if you can't afford the car.
ritah 08:15 AM 07-18-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
In today's economy, most folks have a strict budget. They know what they can afford.

Only a few parents can take the approach of "Price doesn't matter...I just want good care" even if that is what they would LIKE to do.

I have never had to shop for day care for my own kids. But I would hate to have to go to 5 different providers..giving up hours of my time.....only to find I couldn't afford any of them and could have found that out in a few minutes of phone calls.

I would never buy any item or any service without knowing up front what I was getting into. My time is precious to me and going from interview to interview that may not be for me would be irritating.

Can you imagine going to buy a new car, but the salesman refuses to tell you the price on the car until he's sat you down for an hour and told you all about it's gas mileage, plush seats, navigation system etc. While those things are great to know....it's a useless waste of your time if you can't afford the car.
Ditto for me! Very well said.
renodeb 09:47 AM 07-18-2012
Its really a mixed bag. I hate giving rates over the phone b/c it sounds like a lot of money until they see what that goes towards. Usually if there first question is rates we never make it to the home interview stage.
Debbie
familyschoolcare 09:56 AM 07-18-2012
I give rates after find out some information. Gendar, age/grade, what school they attend "normal drop off and normal pick up.
Ariana 10:07 AM 07-18-2012
I give out rates when asked. Whether that's over the phone, email or at the interview. I don't post it in my ads though.
My3cents 10:53 AM 07-18-2012
needs to be a sometimes button here.

I want to say that I don't give them out on the phone but sometimes I get caught up in giving them out. Then I am like why did I do that.

I want them to see my space/place/me etc.. then decide.

So I put no but I would have to say that sometimes I do- it just depends on how the converstation ends up going.
KEG123 02:56 PM 07-18-2012
I give it out as well. I feel that if I'm priced too high for them, then it's best to get that out of the way before wasting my time on an interview. Most families know what they are willing to pay before speaking to me.
daycare 03:46 PM 07-18-2012
i said yes....don't want to waste anyone's time...if its the first questions that is asked when I answer I always say $800.00 a week. Then wait for the silence, then I laugh and will ask another question. That is if I am not hung up on....
Crazy8 08:22 AM 06-12-2013
bumping this back up as just yesterday was thinking about how I should just put the rates on my website to avoid all the fishing calls and then this morning got another call for rates for someone who "is hoping to get pregnant soon and wants to know how much I charge".
allsmiles 08:27 AM 06-12-2013
i post and give them out because of all the reasons already mentioned. i really dont mind "fishers" of rates.. maybe other providers in the area, maybe ppl hunting for the cheapest, either way my rates are my rates..
LaLa1923 08:58 AM 06-12-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I will give rates to anyone who asks (in person, on the phone, via e-mail etc) but I don't have a flat rate per hour/day/week.

Each family has a rate that depicts their needed times. For example a full time family who attends 7-5 will have a higher rate that a full time family that attends 8-3.

I try to let families know a rough estimate but explain that the rates vary based upon their individual needs.
How do you come up with the differences?? As in, how much more do you charge for more time??
lovemykidstoo 12:05 PM 06-12-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
How do you come up with the differences?? As in, how much more do you charge for more time??
I am seriously considering this in the future. The reason is, I have a dcm that gets out of work at 1:00 and doesn't pick up until well after 4:30. Sure woudl be nice to have the little guy leave earlier in the day, but I also don't want to short change myself. It's hard because I am licensed for 6, so each spot is needed for full payment. I am open from 7:30 - 5:30 and I charge $35 a day. How would you suggest doing that then LaLa?
Blackcat31 12:41 PM 06-12-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
I set ONE base rate I needed to make and subtracted/added from there based on pick up times and the number of days per week a child attended. Here is my rate sheet so you can see what I mean. It is easier to see than for me to explain....LOL!
MarinaVanessa 12:42 PM 06-12-2013
I will also give out rates over the phone but I need to know how many days a week and the hours that they will need in order to give out accurate rates.

Someone looking at my rate section of my website can see them and figure them out for themselved because I have a flat rate for 4-5 days a week (FT) and PT rates are based on how many days and the child's pick up time (similar to Nan's fee schedule).

You can see my rate schedule here to get an idea.
AmyKidsCo 01:27 PM 06-12-2013
I give rates up front because I don't want to waste my time with anyone who isn't willing to pay what I'm worth. IMO it's the same as checking out ages and schedules to see how well a family will fit into the openings I have.
daycare 06:16 PM 06-12-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I will also give out rates over the phone but I need to know how many days a week and the hours that they will need in order to give out accurate rates.

Someone looking at my rate section of my website can see them and figure them out for themselved because I have a flat rate for 4-5 days a week (FT) and PT rates are based on how many days and the child's pick up time (similar to Nan's fee schedule).

You can see my rate schedule here to get an idea.
I LOVVVVVEEEEEEE your website....can you tell me how you got that calendar on there like that. I have been trying to find one to post on my site and have yet to find one that works..

LOVE it!!! thanks so much Dcare
blandino 07:32 PM 06-12-2013
I will give my rates out to anyone who inquires (phone, email, Facebook), my rates are at the high end for home daycares in this area, so I would much rather not meet with a family whose isn't able to/willing to pay my rates.

To me, rates and hours are the most basic level of compatibility for parents. (As a DC provider, I see many other more basic ways you need to be compatible), but those are the sort of initial questions that parents see as imperative. So I make sure to mention/ask about those during initial conversations, so that I don't waste time with a family who has needs I can't meet.

I don't post my rates anywhere, because currently I have families who started with me a while ago who are paying different rates than others - so I just prefer to not post them.
jenn 06:18 AM 06-13-2013
I don't post my price when advertising on facebook or craigslist, but I do tell my price on phone calls responding to the advertisements. I figure that if they are not going to be able to afford it or are not willing to pay it, there is no sense in me wasting my time with an interview.
Tags:poll, rates, rates over the phone
Reply Up