Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Star Rating
Country Kids 07:01 AM 08-21-2012
I went to a meeting last night with other providers/centers/teachers in the area and they were talking about doing the 5 STAR system in our state.

I can't remember how it works for you guys that do it in your state. Does anyone have a website they can link me to. They did say for providers it will be hard to get a 5 star though.

I feel like I'm getting to old in the game to start on my education and we really can't afford it with one in college already. I'm worried I won't have many stars though if I don't do something towards a degree.
Annalee 07:07 AM 08-21-2012
In TN, we have three stars as the highest. You can visit: TNSTARQUALITY.ORG. Hope this helps!
My Lil' Monkeys 07:09 AM 08-21-2012
Not sure if this will help ...

http://greatstartforkids.org/content...ovement-system
Heidi 07:21 AM 08-21-2012
http://dcf.wisconsin.gov/youngstar/providers.htm

Here's Wisconsin's...Implemented over the last year.
Childminder 07:24 AM 08-21-2012
We have the 5 star rating here in MI starting this year. I have 100% in all of the categories except for administration/education and have no plans to get my CDA or ECE at this stage of my life so I will never get higher than a 1. Not a fair system, imo, I have over 40 years experience and it counts for nothing.
Annalee 07:26 AM 08-21-2012
In TN, no matter what your experience or education is, if you score below a 4 on the FCCERS-R assessment, you get a "0". There are five categories on the report card but the assessment has to be passed to receive any stars.
Blackcat31 07:29 AM 08-21-2012
MN is in the process of implementing the star rating system. Ours is called Parent Aware and is based off of Wisconsin's Young Star.

Here is the link to MN's http://www.parentawareratings.org/
MizzCheryl 09:16 AM 08-21-2012
http://ncchildcare.dhhs.state.nc.us/..._sn2_ov_sr.asp

This is for North Carolina. We have had the star rating for along time but in 2005 we went to a 2 componannt rating system. That made it much harder.
On our systm you can have 5 stars without a degree IF you have 18 (maybe more) credit hours in ECE and score a 5 or higher on FCCRS. Fccrs also revised from FDCRS to FCCRS-R about 4 or 5 years ago. That made FCCRS much harder as things like Handicapp assesibilty was necessary to earn a 7 on one scale and Changing tables neede to have 6 inches rised on the sides. These are the kinds of things most homes cannot afford to do. You can make up the difference in some other areas but it does lower my score some as thoses are things I just cannot do.
Also in NC subsidy will no longer pay any home or center that is less than 3 stars. Several homes tried FCCRS to raise their star rating in my county. NONE did well enough to raise their stars. NC has become hard difficult place for daycare especially for the older providers. Many of them feel they are too old to take classes and the FCCRS book is written in a way that is very hard for them to understand. It is very sad but som EXCELLENt providers in my county have been pushed out or can no longer accept subsidy children after 20 and 30 years in the biz.
snbauser 10:56 AM 08-21-2012
Originally Posted by Clueless:
http://ncchildcare.dhhs.state.nc.us/..._sn2_ov_sr.asp

This is for North Carolina. We have had the star rating for along time but in 2005 we went to a 2 componannt rating system. That made it much harder.
On our systm you can have 5 stars without a degree IF you have 18 (maybe more) credit hours in ECE and score a 5 or higher on FCCRS. Fccrs also revised from FDCRS to FCCRS-R about 4 or 5 years ago. That made FCCRS much harder as things like Handicapp assesibilty was necessary to earn a 7 on one scale and Changing tables neede to have 6 inches rised on the sides. These are the kinds of things most homes cannot afford to do. You can make up the difference in some other areas but it does lower my score some as thoses are things I just cannot do.
Also in NC subsidy will no longer pay any home or center that is less than 3 stars. Several homes tried FCCRS to raise their star rating in my county. NONE did well enough to raise their stars. NC has become hard difficult place for daycare especially for the older providers. Many of them feel they are too old to take classes and the FCCRS book is written in a way that is very hard for them to understand. It is very sad but som EXCELLENt providers in my county have been pushed out or can no longer accept subsidy children after 20 and 30 years in the biz.
I am also in NC and the link above tells about our star rating. I am a 5 star program.
MizzCheryl 05:50 PM 08-21-2012
Originally Posted by snbauser:
I am also in NC and the link above tells about our star rating. I am a 5 star program.
I am 5 star too. Small world Nice to meet ya. You are about 2 hours from me.
snbauser 05:50 PM 08-21-2012
Originally Posted by Clueless:
I am 5 star too. Small world Nice to meet ya. You are about 2 hours from me.
Nice to meet you too
dave4him 05:57 PM 08-21-2012
It's a great way for parents to check up on the daycares. It's hard to rank high here, hopefully I can get my degree soon that will help.
Tags:rating system
Reply Up