Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Normal for One year old?
Sprouts 09:20 AM 03-13-2013
Hi All

I just start a 1 year old Dcb , he turned one in January so he is 14 months now.

He just began walking, sort of, more like 5 steps at a time , when he feels like it

. He barely smiles, all day yesterday i did not see one smile, i saw him crack one smile maybe, but it was seriously a crack...and then right back to serious. Even the grandma says he barely smilles at home and that he is always serious.

When he cries he constantly wails his arms.

He just started so he is having a hard time adjusting, he is constntly crying, especially when I or my assistant leaves the room.

And besides that he just got over the flu...he sounds SUPER congested, it sounds like his chest is very congested, but mom says its his nose rattling in his chest, even Dr note says he is clear, but he coughs that hacking cough and I can hear him swallowing his mucous from the back of his nose. He was very sick in november with the flu as well and an ear infection.

So just seeing if this is normal or if there is anything we should be concerned about?
KDC 09:35 AM 03-13-2013
Sounds like he's sick and miserable, poor baby! I have a 13 month old. He has been walking since 10 months and is EVERYWHERE, climbing, running & if you leave out 1 little thing he shouldn't have, he's all over it (ie. wipes) But, he does giggle, loves the itsy bitsy spider every diaper change (will do the hand movements) He can say a few words, although I know everyone moves at a different pace.

Was he born prematurely? Does he quiet when you hold him, or is it constant crying? How's his eating, that may effect his mood. If it continues and he's disruptive to the other children are you considering terming him? Some kids just don't mesh with certain programs, but excel in others. It's nothing personal, just maybe not the right fit.

My lil guy does NOT like when I leave the room either, he gets very upset even if he can see me, but is separated by a gate, so I would say this is probably 'normal' for his age.
Sprouts 09:43 AM 03-13-2013
Originally Posted by KDC:
Sounds like he's sick and miserable, poor baby! I have a 13 month old. He has been walking since 10 months and is EVERYWHERE, climbing, running & if you leave out 1 little thing he shouldn't have, he's all over it (ie. wipes) But, he does giggle, loves the itsy bitsy spider every diaper change (will do the hand movements) He can say a few words, although I know everyone moves at a different pace.

Was he born prematurely? Does he quiet when you hold him, or is it constant crying? How's his eating, that may effect his mood. If it continues and he's disruptive to the other children are you considering terming him? Some kids just don't mesh with certain programs, but excel in others. It's nothing personal, just maybe not the right fit.

My lil guy does NOT like when I leave the room either, he gets very upset even if he can see me, but is separated by a gate, so I would say this is probably 'normal' for his age.
Thank you

Well he has no fever and doc says hes fine....

he was full term

yesterday morning he ate fine, hot cereal...this morning he ate very little, and barely has had any milk either ...which is not normal for him (mom says)
Yesterday after he woke he was super hungry and ate whole bowl of mac n cheese shells with chicken.....this morning barely ate, didnt want snack....

When we hold him he sometimes calms down, but obviously, group care , we can't hold him all of the time....

this boy does not giggle, smile, involve himself in songs...no words

thinking of terming him if he can't get with the program, hes miserable, and I feel bad for him more then anything.

(i dont know if this effects anything, parent co-sleeps, due to lack of space, supposedly...but last week she says she has been laying him down on his own with his bottle and he falls alseep with out rocking, this is at home).....
Sprouts 08:09 AM 03-14-2013
Bumping this

This boy has been crying all morning.
He barely ate breakfast , drank only 3 oz of milk
He will only fall asleep if someone is sitting next to his crib , but wakes right up for loud noises "light sleeper"....

I have such a headache
Willow 08:15 AM 03-14-2013
He sounds new, and sick

If he can't eat and isn't happy he should probably head home for the day. Having him come when he is obviously ill isn't going to set you or him up for any sort of success. I wouldn't be inclined to even try to evaluate his abilities until after the illness has passed. As an adult I don't smile or move when I'm sick, in fact I'm quite a pill Can't expect a baby to be any different lol
KDC 08:56 AM 03-14-2013
I've had my DCB since he's been 8 weeks, and for the first 6 months, I had the term letter in my back pocket, but just never had the guts to hand it over. I hate to fail, and after a few months, I became a little attached to the little guy. It's was a challenge, and I wanted to conquer it, (DH encouraged me to give it time). Hindsight, I have a flippen waiting list, and I could have easily termed this child and traded him in for child better suited to my routine.

Issues
8 weeks old, breast fed, would not take a bottle...EVER. & they tried to leave him here for 8+ hours with NO way to feed him. I had to insist she come at least at lunch to feed (waking a finally sleeping baby to accommodate her schedule but at least he was eating). By 5:30 he was a nightmare. Would not spoon feed until 1 yr. of age - only finger foods (cheerios, baby goldfish).

I had to swaddle, rock him to sleep with my iphone tucked close with a sound machine app running, while shushing and swaying to nap him. (She took my phone by accident many time as I tucked it in the front of his swaddle while rocking, lol! Any little noise or setting him down would send him into a tizzy. This is while caring for 4 other toddlers. I was nuts.

He's still difficult, I'm not going to lie. I've been working on nap scheduling for him since about 6 months. Parent's just don't get it. They'd give him a 20 min nap at 8:30 and drop him off at 9, screwing up his 9:00 morning nap. His clothes are always too large, DCM is so disorganized at drop off with loose socks, diapers, 1/2 cooler filled with random items & bm (top missing off cooler) - kid always had a mush of oatmeal on his face, mushy goldfish in his hands and slobbery tooth brushes that Mom says he just can't live without to chew on. (Yikes** So waiting for it to impale his throat not to mention I have a labrador with a lot of dog hair, that's just GROSS!) & to top it off, she's consistently late for pick-up. I close at 5, made an exception to close at 5:30 at the very latest, and she's showing up at 5:29 30 sec. most days or is late by 5-10 minutes. She recently suggested 1 nap, and he's just not ready for that, he's always rubbing his eyes, swatting his ear and yawning. He just needs consistency, and parents need to help. She JUST told me she bypassed the whole crib thing and has had him in a toddler bed, from co-sleeping - he's 12 months old). This is my issue. I can tell her how miserable he is here, but if she's not experiencing it, she just doesn't get it? He naps great at home because he's breadfeeding in Mommy's bed.

Why am I still at it. The punkin head already has a piece of my heart... naps are getting slightly better. And I told her she HAD to drop him off without his morning nap.

Bottom line, it is HARD work, and if there is a better option for you (you can afford to term and find another child better suited to your program DO IT) Don't do what I did! Maybe I was being selfish wanting it to work out.
Sprouts 08:59 AM 03-14-2013
Well i dont know if he is still sick, he did east lunch yesterday and the day before

he was out from febraury 27th and came back this monday march 11th. He had just started feb 25 & 26th...came down with the flu...passed to it all of the children here and then is back now, still with a cough...but Dr says its in his nose and just rattles his chest...I hve a dr note...but u can hear it in his chest....

but anyways...how long do you normally give a child to acclimate to child care?

Like right now, he just woke...he only slept for 45 minutes! mom says he sleeps for 2 hours normally....
Willow 09:41 AM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by Sprouts:
Well i dont know if he is still sick, he did east lunch yesterday and the day before

he was out from febraury 27th and came back this monday march 11th. He had just started feb 25 & 26th...came down with the flu...passed to it all of the children here and then is back now, still with a cough...but Dr says its in his nose and just rattles his chest...I hve a dr note...but u can hear it in his chest....

but anyways...how long do you normally give a child to acclimate to child care?

Like right now, he just woke...he only slept for 45 minutes! mom says he sleeps for 2 hours normally....

If you can still hear it in his chest without even so much as a stethoscope - he is still definitely sick. That means there is infection of some kind inside of his lungs and that level of illness can be crippling to an infant. I can't believe a parent would drop their baby off in that state

His not napping is very likely due to his inability to breathe properly right now. Be glad you managed to get the 45 minutes with him in that state.

I think most providers I've heard give it about two weeks to decide what to do, but acclimating an infant that age, smack dab in the middle of that first fear period, will likely take much longer. Anticipate a month or so if he's coming full time to get settled into a routine, longer if he's only coming part time.
unregistered 10:56 AM 03-14-2013
Hi can anyone give me any advice on this situation. I just recently got my first child about 3 weeks ago, and I have been giving out flyers all over the place. I am very discouraged about my home daycare and considering closing, but I had a unemployed mother call in response to one of my flyers. She said that she called several daycare's and know one would take her. Allegedly she is unemployed, and needs to look for a job, and does not have anyone to take care of her 13 mo old child so she can, but can't pay my normal fee which is very very cheap. It is the very minimal I can operate off of until I get established. I am just got licensed in January 2013, and need full time children, but since I don't have but one child i am considering helping her out. I have offered her two days a week, but they must be from 8am-12pm since I really want be making the money I need to make. I also told her this will be for a month, and after that we will see. I'm doing this because if she is indeed unemployed I am hoping that once she does become employed she will stay with me, and hopefully be able to pay my fee. Should I do this, and if so should I amend my contract to state the days and time she can pick up and drop off her child or do a separate little contract? And how should I word my contract? Any suggestions would be nice.
Willow 11:16 AM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by unregistered:
Hi can anyone give me any advice on this situation. I just recently got my first child about 3 weeks ago, and I have been giving out flyers all over the place. I am very discouraged about my home daycare and considering closing, but I had a unemployed mother call in response to one of my flyers. She said that she called several daycare's and know one would take her. Allegedly she is unemployed, and needs to look for a job, and does not have anyone to take care of her 13 mo old child so she can, but can't pay my normal fee which is very very cheap. It is the very minimal I can operate off of until I get established. I am just got licensed in January 2013, and need full time children, but since I don't have but one child i am considering helping her out. I have offered her two days a week, but they must be from 8am-12pm since I really want be making the money I need to make. I also told her this will be for a month, and after that we will see. I'm doing this because if she is indeed unemployed I am hoping that once she does become employed she will stay with me, and hopefully be able to pay my fee. Should I do this, and if so should I amend my contract to state the days and time she can pick up and drop off her child or do a separate little contract? And how should I word my contract? Any suggestions would be nice.

Unregistered guest - perhaps if you register and then start your own thread you'll get some answers to all of your questions, I'm not sure many others are going to see it tucked into an unrelated thread. It's a great board to join to get help with any situations like your above
Tags:normal
Reply Up