Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Christmas Is So Close!
DaycareMom 08:07 AM 11-11-2013
So I was wondering what you all do as far as Christmas gifts for DCKs.

Usually I give them an inexpensive $5-$10 gift. This year was thinking to get them all slippers (to stay here) for them to get from the house to the garage without having to put on shoes as our garage is the play area and perhaps a combined gift for the daycare. What do you think of this idea?

Also, I am at a loss as to what to get for my own children (boy3, and girl5). Since we have the daycare, it seems like they have EVERYTHING!
NeedaVaca 08:20 AM 11-11-2013
I bought a bunch of toys on clearance after Christmas last year and I shop throughout the year and keep those toys in my gift closet. I have done games like Candy Land or age appropriate games for the 3yrs, I have a collection of boy & girls things. Crayons or Play dough are good too.

Parents get quite a few homemade crafts/pictures of their kids, handprint ornaments etc.

My kids get toys that do not go to the daycare area until they are tired of them. One example for my 6 yr DS are the small lego's, I can't keep those in the daycare area because of choking hazards. I figure out what their favorite things are/favorite cartoon or movie characters and then buy those. Another example is my 10 yr DD has been asking for her own pair of chopsticks and she loves pokemon. I found her pokemon chopsticks! She will love it
Blackcat31 08:38 AM 11-11-2013
I close between Christmas and New Years. I have no idea what the DCK's will be getting for Christmas as I don't do anything for them in regards to the holiday and gift giving.

We do collect something for a designated charity or organization each year and instead of supporting the "gimme gimme" behavior of kids now days, I teach them to give back to the community instead.

This year, our organization of choice is our local animal shelter. Families are asked to donate money and/or supplies from a list of items the shelter needs or could use such as pet food, bedding, toys, leashes, bowls, etc...
WImom 10:46 AM 11-11-2013
I am giving a scholastic book with a candy cane taped to the front. I don't do gifts for birthday's or Christmas anymore. For the last two years not one thank you so I stopped.
MsLaura529 12:03 PM 11-11-2013
This is my first Christmas with the daycare kiddos ... I'm planning on finding a $10 range toy for each kiddo, something that goes along with toys that they are interested in here - for example, one of the little girls I have loves to play with our My Little Pony's bin, so I might find something in that dept. for her. Another one that I have loves to build with our blocks, and her mom has said before that they don't have the basic blocks like that at home, so I will be finding that small set for her. They will be making a craft for their parents (a picture ornament and a handprint tile) to bring home.
MsLaura529 12:04 PM 11-11-2013
Originally Posted by WImom:
I am giving a scholastic book with a candy cane taped to the front. I don't do gifts for birthday's or Christmas anymore. For the last two years not one thank you so I stopped.
That is so sad I'm sorry that your thoughtfulness went un-appreciated.
mema 12:11 PM 11-11-2013
Typically I spend around $15 for each child (I usually have 4-5 kiddos) and they make something for the parents. This year was a horrible year financially for about the first 9 months and we are slowly coming back. I have a lot of fabric on hand and books that have never been looked at, so I think I am making them all a "library bag" and putting a book in it.

I think it's a great idea to get a daycare gift that stays at daycare. Something new and exciting to share with their friends! As for your own, I am no help there. My own are hard enough since everything they want is spendy (or at least in my opinion). Maybe get a special book, pj's, movie, blanket, favorite snack and stick it all in a bucket or basket with a coupon book filled with coupons for a one on one book session, family movie night, pj Saturday, or something along those lines. My kids loved that kind of stuff when they were younger.
melilley 12:12 PM 11-11-2013
I your slipper idea! Kids love them too!
This is my first Christmas with dck's so I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Maybe steal your idea....lol

I think I'm going to have them make a gift for their parents and just give them something little, but I'm definitely going to shop after Christmas and get little gifts for next year!
sahm1225 12:12 PM 11-11-2013
I was also hoping for ideas. We usually Have Santa come to our Christmas party and hand out gifts so it has to be something that is unisex..

I like the play doh idea!
melilley 12:21 PM 11-11-2013
I your slipper idea! Kids love them too!
This is my first Christmas with dck's so I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Maybe steal your idea....lol

I think I'm going to have them make a gift for their parents and just give them something little, but I'm definitely going to shop after Christmas and get little gifts for next year! I also like BC's idea of donating.

I too am having a hard time figuring out what to get my own 1 yo ds. I know what you mean, between gifts from family, daycare toys and his personal toys, it seems like so much! Now my 10 yo dd, she's easier because she's older.
TwinKristi 02:10 PM 11-11-2013
This is actually something I've been thinking about... I have a family who's been here over a year but pulling their 23 month old to attend Jr Preschool. They've scheduled their last day to be the 20th, even though I'm open the 23rd which I know is to avoid paying for my time off on the 25th. I would normally buy gifts for the DCKs but I almost feel like since they're leaving before Christmas that they shouldn't get a gift! They've really left me in a bind considering our prior communications always were him leaving to go to preschool at 2.5-3.5, not before he's even 2! They gave me lots of notice, but it was still a huge shock. I haven't been able to fill his spot either.

For the one DCB I do have here I was going to buy something small, like PJs or a book or a little Duplo Lego set to go with the one I bought for his bday.
melilley 03:18 PM 11-11-2013
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
This is actually something I've been thinking about... I have a family who's been here over a year but pulling their 23 month old to attend Jr Preschool. They've scheduled their last day to be the 20th, even though I'm open the 23rd which I know is to avoid paying for my time off on the 25th. I would normally buy gifts for the DCKs but I almost feel like since they're leaving before Christmas that they shouldn't get a gift! They've really left me in a bind considering our prior communications always were him leaving to go to preschool at 2.5-3.5, not before he's even 2! They gave me lots of notice, but it was still a huge shock. I haven't been able to fill his spot either.

For the one DCB I do have here I was going to buy something small, like PJs or a book or a little Duplo Lego set to go with the one I bought for his bday.
Interesting, Jr Preschool? I would not get a gift for the child who is leaving early, especially because you know why they are leaving before Christmas.
KidGrind 03:24 PM 11-11-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I close between Christmas and New Years. I have no idea what the DCK's will be getting for Christmas as I don't do anything for them in regards to the holiday and gift giving.

We do collect something for a designated charity or organization each year and instead of supporting the "gimme gimme" behavior of kids now days, I teach them to give back to the community instead.

This year, our organization of choice is our local animal shelter. Families are asked to donate money and/or supplies from a list of items the shelter needs or could use such as pet food, bedding, toys, leashes, bowls, etc...
I really like this idea.

I’ll buy each of my full-time kids a gift. I think an educational toy for the infants and something fun & loud for the toddler.
TwinKristi 07:18 PM 11-11-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
Interesting, Jr Preschool? I would not get a gift for the child who is leaving early, especially because you know why they are leaving before Christmas.
Ha! Yeah "Jr preschool"... Pretty lame if you ask me. He's sooooo not ready. Every day I bite my tongue when I see his behavior wondering how on earth someone could think that's a good idea. Basically it's daycare with an educational theme. He'll go from 7:15am to 4:30pm. He is a super picky eater, horrible sharer, throws temper tantrums all the time over silly things, hits, spits, spits his food out, spits his milk out, is sick more often than not... It just makes me feel bad for him. He's been here since he was 8mos old after she took him out of his previous provider because she was closing for 2wks and went from a small to a large daycare and he wasn't getting as much attention to sleep. Her daughter was in a home daycare from 3 mos to 3yrs and now she's pulling her son before he's even 2?? Ugh!! I must have really made her mad or something.
But thanks for agreeing, I feel bad in my heart though. I hate that this is even happening, breaks my heart!
Scout 03:51 AM 11-12-2013
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:
That is so sad I'm sorry that your thoughtfulness went un-appreciated.
me too last year. I bought them all a $10 truck or plane since I had all boys then and not one family mentioned it. I dont know if they just fogot since I didnt let them open them here. But,I would have said it before leaving.
Scout 03:58 AM 11-12-2013
I really like the slippers too. And the Scholastic book idea.
Scout 04:08 AM 11-12-2013
Originally Posted by DaycareMom:
So I was wondering what you all do as far as Christmas gifts for DCKs.

Usually I give them an inexpensive $5-$10 gift. This year was thinking to get them all slippers (to stay here) for them to get from the house to the garage without having to put on shoes as our garage is the play area and perhaps a combined gift for the daycare. What do you think of this idea?

Also, I am at a loss as to what to get for my own children (boy3, and girl5). Since we have the daycare, it seems like they have EVERYTHING!
As for your own kids, have you thought about a weekend away at an indoor waterpark or great hotel with lots of stuff to do? We recently went to Great Wolf Lodge with ours and had a blast!! I dont think they would mind if you gave them the gift of memories along with small gifts. I am at a loss with our boys too(5 and 2) but, I think I may get the little guy a swing set. We had to take ours down last year because bees were going in it. I am also thinking of the waterpark again! My 5 yo LOVES the big slides and is now tall enough for aot of them that he wasn't in the summer!!
Blackcat31 05:52 AM 11-12-2013
Originally Posted by Scout:
As for your own kids, have you thought about a weekend away at an indoor waterpark or great hotel with lots of stuff to do? We recently went to Great Wolf Lodge with ours and had a blast!! I dont think they would mind if you gave them the gift of memories along with small gifts. I am at a loss with our boys too(5 and 2) but, I think I may get the little guy a swing set. We had to take ours down last year because bees were going in it. I am also thinking of the waterpark again! My 5 yo LOVES the big slides and is now tall enough for aot of them that he wasn't in the summer!!
I love the idea of giving time.

Going somewhere special such as a weekend get away, a dinner date, a movie etc...

ALL things that include face time with their parent.....which every kid needs more of.

Great idea Scout!
MrsSteinel'sHouse 11:25 AM 11-12-2013
I love the idea of giving time.

Going somewhere special such as a weekend get away, a dinner date, a movie etc...

ALL things that include face time with their parent.....which every kid needs more of.

Great idea Scout!
I was going to say for my own kids when they were little a lot of times we gave them things other than toys, movie tickets or activity. We really do not do a big Christmas here. I tried to give them something that they wanted that would stay in their room and not to be shared. So a special baby doll or toy. I would get games that we would play as a family instead of a daycare item.
Josiegirl 03:37 PM 11-12-2013
My kids are all grown up now but just thinking back oh maybe 17 years ago, when one of my dds was making out her 'Dear Santa' list, at the top of it was school supplies. Back then Santa left one special gift, the rest came from mom and dad, etc. So the one gift she got that year was a tackle box filled to the brim with school supplies. She was in sheer ecstasy.

As for the daycare, I'm still struggling with that one. In the past, I've always gotten them a book with something else, such as pjs or a homemade fleece blanket. I think this year I'm still giving them a book and maybe a toy geared towards what they enjoy doing here. I usually try to spend about 20. on each dck.
My own kids this year....haha what else do 21 and 23 yo starving college students want besides money and/or gift cards? And my ds is 32... sigh... gone are the days when Christmas was a time of enchantment and surprises.
daycare 03:41 PM 11-12-2013
I always gift some kind of educational board game, like memory, candyland or the like along with a few books from our scholastic book club.

While some of the families don't really say thank you to me, the kids sure do and they just can't wait to get home and rip them open.

I never do things with a thank you in mind. I learned long ago that I do these things for the children. As long as you can go into it with an open mind and no expectations anything you give the kids will be loved and welcomed.
Meeko 04:18 PM 11-12-2013
With 16 daycare kids, I don't want to go broke. I usually keep it waaaay simple.

I have done cookies or other baked goods for their family in the past.

I have also saved formula cans and wrapped them in Christmas paper and filled them with homemade playdoh. I am probably going to do that again this year. Playdoh is pennies to make and they LOVE it.
Blackcat31 04:23 PM 11-12-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:

I have also saved formula cans and wrapped them in Christmas paper and filled them with homemade playdoh. I am probably going to do that again this year. Playdoh is pennies to make and they LOVE it.
I am totally stealing a cute play-doh idea from another member on another board....

She makes scented play-doh in Gingerbread, Peppermint and Chocolate flavors and gives a "set" to each child along with a cookie cutter.

Super inexpensive and cute too!

(I can post or send you the links to the recipes if you want.)
jenn 04:59 PM 11-12-2013
I buy a $10-$15 "whatever is on sale the day after Thanksgiving"

I did the same when I taught Kindergarten. I know it's expensive and sometimes not appreciated by the parents, but I do it for the kids.

I like the idea of buying something for the child, but it being something that stays at daycare. (Slippers, new blankets for nap, new cups/plates,...)
melilley 05:02 PM 11-12-2013
I am totally stealing a cute play-doh idea from another member on another board....

She makes scented play-doh in Gingerbread, Peppermint and Chocolate flavors and gives a "set" to each child along with a cookie cutter.

Ooooh please post the recipes! I tried to make some a few weeks ago and it didn't turn out at all! I followed the recipe, but no luck. I have no idea what went wrong...lol
Meeko 05:08 PM 11-12-2013

Funnily enough, our topic last week was pumpkins. We made pumpkin pie playdoh! Smelled divine!
Blackcat31 05:46 PM 11-12-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
Ooooh please post the recipes! I tried to make some a few weeks ago and it didn't turn out at all! I followed the recipe, but no luck. I have no idea what went wrong...lol
Here you go! I stole this idea from Lianne

Hot Cocoa:
http://www.momto2poshlildivas.com/20...playdough.html

Gingerbread (and the pic inspired the whole idea)
http://christyrobbins.blogspot.ca/20...playdough.html

Candy Cane aka peppermint
http://playandlearnwithdana.blogspot...playdough.html
Josiegirl 04:30 AM 11-13-2013
Thank You BlackCat! I'm definitely going to do this, they LOVE the scented playdoughs!
If giving as a set for a gift, how do you package it all so it stays airtight?
christine19720 05:12 AM 11-13-2013
This year I am giving the daycare kids a few nice books and some homemade treats. I feel they have enough toys.
Blackcat31 08:18 AM 11-13-2013
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Thank You BlackCat! I'm definitely going to do this, they LOVE the scented playdoughs!
If giving as a set for a gift, how do you package it all so it stays airtight?
I plan on using those take and toss type snack containers. Similar to these:

or these:

and then using fancy Christmas ribbon to attach a Christmas themed cookie cutter.
Crazy8 08:29 AM 11-13-2013
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:

I have TWO families leaving right before Thanksgiving for the same reasons, "since I'm closed Thurs&Fri anyway". I guess the good thing about having so few kids for xmas is I don't have to do much. I will probably just make a craft with them to give their parents (they are all under 2) and that's it. So not in the spirit this year.
melilley 10:14 AM 11-13-2013
Here you go! I stole this idea from Lianne

Hot Cocoa:
http://www.momto2poshlildivas.com/20...playdough.html

Gingerbread (and the pic inspired the whole idea)
http://christyrobbins.blogspot.ca/20...playdough.html

Candy Cane aka peppermint
http://playandlearnwithdana.blogspot...playdough.html
Thanks a bunch! I can't wait to make it, hopefully this time the playdough turns out....lol
melilley 10:17 AM 11-13-2013
I plan on using those take and toss type snack containers. Similar to these:

or these:

and then using fancy Christmas ribbon to attach a Christmas themed cookie cutter.
Awesome idea!
Msdunny 10:25 AM 11-13-2013
I am making a 'Preschool Yearbook' full of pictures from the last year and will give a copy to each family. I will be using free or reduced price codes for these

I am a Disney FANATIC (am actually a travel agent for them in my 'spare' time!) so each of my littles will get a small Disney plush and a book. I buy the plush and books throughout the year when they are on sale.
MsLaura529 10:46 AM 11-13-2013
I hope you don't mind if I steal the playdough idea, too ... that is TOO cute! And nice and cheap. Maybe I'll put together a little kit of play-dough scissors and a rolling pin with it as well.
Tags:christmas
Reply Up