Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Depreciation Confusion
Grape Ape Mom 06:17 PM 03-26-2015
I am systematically going through Tom's book and filling out the forms by hand before using Turbo Tax to complete my tax return. I am a bit confused on the depreciation.

We had to replace our dishwasher in 2014 and paid $450.00 at a scratch and dent store for a new one.

We also bought a new router for the internet from Verizon for $105.98 and a new Galaxy Tablet for $248.96.

Based on what I'm reading, and since I have a safe harbor election form filled out, does that mean I could expense all of these items in one year under the appropriate expense accounts on Schedule C? Or do I have to depreciate them?
Michael 07:23 PM 03-26-2015
Tom will probably chime in but I think your solution is a Time Space Percentage. Here are previous threads that may be helpful.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ace+percentage
Grape Ape Mom 06:32 AM 03-27-2015
Yes, I know to use the Time/space %. I just wondered whether to depreciate them or claim them as expenses. Thanks!
TomCopeland 09:06 AM 03-27-2015
Originally Posted by Grape Ape Mom:
I am systematically going through Tom's book and filling out the forms by hand before using Turbo Tax to complete my tax return. I am a bit confused on the depreciation.

We had to replace our dishwasher in 2014 and paid $450.00 at a scratch and dent store for a new one.

We also bought a new router for the internet from Verizon for $105.98 and a new Galaxy Tablet for $248.96.

Based on what I'm reading, and since I have a safe harbor election form filled out, does that mean I could expense all of these items in one year under the appropriate expense accounts on Schedule C? Or do I have to depreciate them?
Any item costing less than $500 does not need to be depreciated. Multiply these items by the business portion and deduct them on Schedule C. Put them on the back of the form as "Household Item."
Tags:time space percentage
Reply Up